Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2017

Soundtouch 130 + 30 + AppleTV and multiroom audio?

Hello,

I just purchased a Soundtouch 130 and I’m still figuring out how everything works. I do like the sound quality, but was disappointed that I can’t use Airplay. I have no interest for Bluetooth as the range is way too limited. To mitigate that problem, I connected my Apple TV to the HDMI of the Bose receiver and can use Airplay through Apple TV.

In the near future, I would like to add additional Soundtouch speakers (30s and/or 20s) to the Soundtouch 130 and use airplay to play music.

Questions:

I understood that when playing movies, the additional speakers won’t work (which is fine). But if I use my Iphone to play music through airplay on the AppleTV (like I do today), will I be able to use those additional  speakers, or Bose will consider that I’m playing a movie and will only play it through the Soundtouch 130?

With the same setup, (iphone/airplay/AppleTv), will I be able to play the music only outdoor through a Soundtouch 30 (without activating the Sountouch 130)?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 18, 2016

Re: Soundtouch 130 + 30 + AppleTV and multiroom audio?

My experience with a 120 has been that Bose sees Apple TV as video no matter what source is coming through. If you want to control the music via your iPhone on multiple speaker systems you either have to use bluetooth (which is spotty even in close range) or setup a computer to link via bluetooth and control that with your iPhone.

Hopefully Bose updates the systems to allow direct access to Apple Music in the SoundTouch app. I currently use Amazon music when using our Bose and even that is limited in that you can't access your personal playlists.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

Kaveh-

You cannot "rebroadcast" anything coming from the Apple TV out to any additional ST speakers. The Soundtouch app will display "speaker is playing another source".

Any media ( audio or video) coming out of the ATV will only play through the 130...pretty amateur huh? I've been struggling with this and trying to find a work around for 8 months now and was anxiously awaiting the promised auxiliary update to resolve this issue but guess what....the Feb 2017 bose product update stated that Soundtouch 120 & 130 will not receive the "future" aux rebroadcast update due to firmware incompatibility...You should return the ST130 if you can.

Search the forum with key words such as "Apple TV" and  "Apple Music" and you will quickly realize how much effort Bose has actually invested in keeping their customers away from the worlds largest and most popular music service.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2017

Thanks for the response. In that case, I won’t even bother purchasing a Soundtouch 30 to test the setup. I’ll just return the Soundtouch 130. I guess I’m back to the drawing board.