Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Soundtouch 20 Series III

I saw the release of soundouch series III today as I was about to order a series II device to add to already owned 3 of those in the house.  Having ordered it I downloaded the owner's manual to see if there are any new features.  Here is what I saw:
+ Bluetooth
- Airplay
Is that correct Bose?  Is Airplay mysteriously removed from the soundtouch series without an explicit mention or announcement?  Why???  In a world where a lot of your customers keep clamoring for airplay support on the lifestyle, cinemate & SA-4 products and I see a lot of requests (including my own) to be able to support multi-device airplay streaming, why would you choose to take a feature away from a newer version of your product?
Please confirm that airplay is indeed not supported before I get the device and open the box so I can promptly put a return label on it and ship it back without incurring return or restocking fees.
I think that the removal of airplay - if indeed it is removed is a big negative thing to do to your loyal customers who invested a lot of money in the soundtouch series and as of now have a very fractured experience across your device line with no feature parity.
If it is just an omission of the feature in the manual and airplay is indeed supported then I apologize but I would appreciate a prompt response and an explanation
Thanks,
Avi 
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 27, 2015

Re: Soundtouch 20 Series III

On the bose website there is a FAQ .

Does the system support AirPlay?No. Current systems no longer support AirPlay. However, previous generation SoundTouch® 20 and 30 systems will continue to support it.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Well that confirms it then and the question remains why remove a valuable feature which is superior to bluetooth both in sound quality and range and cripple existing customers?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Smurf & Danielo,

​With the addition of Bluetooth in our systems, Airplay was removed.  While we can't speak to all of the exact reasons this design change was made, one fact was definitely accessibility: 

Adding Bluetooth gives a wider range of customers the option to play their choice of music service directly to the SoundTouch systems. Airplay was only available to iOS and MacOS users while Bluetooth is also accessible to Android, Windows Phone, etc. without excluding Apple users.

In addition, many iOS users also expressed frustration that Airplay only allowed streaming to one destination at a time.  One of the key features of the new SoundTouch systems is the ability to rebroadcast the Bluetooth audio to other SoundTouch devices using the SoundTouch application including previous model (Series I and II) SoundTouch devices.  

As Danielo found in the manual: Airplay is still fully supported on existing systems and will remain usable on them going forward. It is not being removed from your current product(s) but simply not being incorporated into newer models.
Thank you.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Thanks George for the explanation.  While I have no objections to adding new features such as Bluetooth for accessibility, I still do not understand the removal of Airplay which is a much desired streaming protocol that has much less compression and is not dependent on range from the device.  Some of us actually like it a lot and I don't understand why you would not keep it side by side with Bluetooth as many other device manufacturers already do.  Offering Bluetooth may offer accessibility to other devices but removal of Airplay definitely makes it harder to those of us who've made significant investments in your equipments as it makes interoperability more complex.
Can you also please expand on the following statement you made: "One of the key features of the new SoundTouch systems is the ability to rebroadcast the Bluetooth audio to other SoundTouch devices using the SoundTouch application including previous model (Series I and II) SoundTouch devices"   - Does this apply to rebroadcasting from bluetooth in series III to lifestyle 525/535, SA-4 and Cinemate series systems?  One of the features that is sorely missing is the ability to stream via airplay to these systems and as such there is no good way to expand music services that exist on our mobile devices beyond the ones offered by Bose.  If the rebroadcasting includes older soundtouch systems *and* lifestyle / cinemate series systems then I may consider keeping the series III device solely for this ability
Thanks, Avi

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Avi:  
To clarify - Yes.  The Bluetooth rebroadcasting feature applies to ALL SoundTouch  systems (including series 1 and 2 home theater) as long as one Series III system is used as the master.  Basically, the Series III system receives audio via Bluetooth and uses Wi-Fi to send audio to the other systems on the network.
I hope that clarifies the functionality for you.  Please let us know if you have additional questions. 
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 10, 2015

educating guess here: Let's assume that Bose's decision on making this radical design change is based on budget cuts. Unlike Airplay, Bluetooth is common broadcasting standard, which means licence costs per unit, if existent are low. Airplay on the other hand is in Apple's ownership. 3rd parties introducing Airplay in there products are obliged to pay licence fees. This rollback has nothig to do with the wide spread idea of increasing accesibility, i keep reading as answer. I understand that tech support is not at liberty to disclose the actual backgrounds, but sometimes it's best to say nothing when asked that giving prententious answers to your customers.
my point is: Bose is and has always been a Company breeding exclusively lifestyle products. So the scope has always been to keep track with the customer that is willing to pay that extra buck. Is there some change of mind here? A look at the price tag for the Soundtouch 20 Series III speaks a different language to me. A Bluetooth-only policy is understandle at low price product level, but surely can't described as an innovation. Plus audio is not just MP3s and it's likes. FLAC should be part of it too.
Really guys, 400 Euros per unit, do not get you to a sit-down with Apple?
One last thing, numerous surveys have been made about who really is out to pay the extra buck, and all come to same conclusion. Those with iOS-Devices like myself preferably do that. No ifs or maybes we just go for it.
A bigger pond doesn't necissarily increase the number of fish in it, just because you keep adding more water.
My hope:
Santa is coming with an update and AirPlay support!
They really have excellent sound though, but the key feauture is definetly missing. Which is why I am still deciding wheter returning it on not!
regards

Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 16, 2016

I don't see why AirPlay doesn't enable multiple devices and Bluetooth does. Surely if the speaker rebroadcasts the Bluetooth audio over wifi it can be made to just rebroadcast the AirPlay audio. There is no difference once the signal has been converted back into a song (except AirPlay is better quality). 
Remember Apple and Bose have kinda fallen out..... So we have to suffer ☹
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

And thats the makn reason that Airplay is no longer in the S3 models - Apple's licensing fees plus the Apple & Bose fall-out...
I would bet that Bose decided to go forward with new models without Airplay due to Apple's ridiculous license fee costs and their restrictive practices at what can and cant be done - it would be Apple's  license rules that say you cant rebroadcast Airplay to multiple speakers, not Bose's decison...