Wgw
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

Re: Soundtouch 20 and Airplay 2?

Your previous communications all said that all SoundTouch devices would get AirPlay 2. This would include my 2 SA-4 amplifiers

Hi Wgw,

Thanks for the reply.

We have stated, "SoundTouch systems that support Bluetooth functionality will have the ability to support Airplay 2". The SA-4 amplifiers do not support Bluetooth so they will not be able to be utilized with Airplay 2 since it does not have a chipset that supports that feature.

We apologize for the misunderstanding.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

fraho
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Joel,

so the situation is as follows: People who purchased a Soundtouch system with Airplay 1 (like me) will not get Airplay 2. People who purchased a Soundtouch system with bluetooth but without Airplay 1 will get Airplay 2. You guys must be kidding! Could you or anyone else from Bose explain what a Bluetooth chip has to do with Airplay 2? I'm already testing speakers from Sonos which support Airplay 2 without any bluetooth chip/support. My guess is that Airplay 2 is just software und Bose now wants to satisfy customers who erroneously purchased one of those Soundtouch successor systems with no Airplay 1 support leaving out buyers of the predecessor. 

Hi fraho,

Thanks for the question.

The Bluetooth chip specifically doesn't cause the incompatibility.  Hardware differences between the two devices cause it, and the Bluetooth functionality happens to correctly distinguish which systems will be compatible.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

fraho
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Brandon,

thanks for your reply. Actually all I wanna do is controlling multiple speakers via voice commands, that's why I wanted Airplay 2. Meanwhile I've learned that there is a Bose Alexa skill. Unfortunately without Spotify and multiroom functionality. Do you know whether/when this wil be implemented?

Happy new year

Frank

Customer

Community Manager

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply. 

Currently, we do not have a timetable for these features to be introduced to the SoundTouch line.  I would recommend keeping an eye on our sticky posts as this is where we'll inform the Community.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

fraho
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Brandon,

does that mean that Bose does currently not know whether these features will be implemented at all at some point?

jq371
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

I just bought my first HomePod to replace one of my 12 month old bose SoundTouch 10’s. And it’s so amazing. Worth every cent. Voice commands and an amazing sound. I regret buying my Bose products. Now they’re just expensive drawer fillers. The slow speed of development and lack of information at Bose was just disappointing. Not to mention an app that barely works, can’t search for music and speakers that kept disappearing or disconnecting. I think bose should stay out of the network/wifi market until they know what they’re doing.
stefanspfeil
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

It is sad that Bose, as a manufacturer of sound hardware/software, is not able to integrate AirPlay 2 in a timely manner. Today Samsung announced -> AirPlay 2 to be integrated into current TV sets. (2018/2019)

You're almost forced to get away from Bose products and switch. Tests are made, developers deal with them... why can't you roll it out per module row?

Highlighted
FPM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2019

Sounds good but when?, early 2019 is close to end... Other brands are capable at this moment.