Highlighted
DRU
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Soundtouch 20 video/audio sync degradation

This Bose Soundtouch 20 Series III issue is dealing with watching video while connected to bluetooth on both macOS and iOS.  What I've noticed is upon connecting to bluetooth, audio and video is actually synced quite well.  There is little to no latency.  However, after around 15 minutes, audio and video becomes way out of sync and there is a great deal of latency.  Here's the thing, I found a workaround on macOS that might be helpful for Bose developers to correct this issue.  If you add the bluetooth icon to your status bar and click on it while holding down the option key while then selectiong the Bose Soundtouch 20 when connected to bluetooth you can see what codec is being used or if there's no active codec being used.  What I found out is when there is no active codec being used for around 15 minutes, this is when the increased latency occurs.  Meaning if there is no sound coming out of your Soundtouch 20 for around 15 minutes or so.  So, naturally I thought to myself, well how can I just keep the SBC codec active at all times to avoid the latency.  What I found out is that if I keep a really long soundcloud stream active, but put it on mute it will keep the SBC codec active at all times and there will be no latency with the Soundtouch  20.  Due to the nature of iOS, this workaround is not possible on my iPhone. 

My question is, is Bose aware of this issue at all?  Are they working to keep the initial latency low permanent, and avoid degradation over time?  Let me know if you need any additional information from me to help fix this issue.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Soundtouch 20 video/audio sync degradation

Hi DRU,

Thanks for the post.  When you say "after 15 minutes, audio and video becomes way out of sync", you mean 15 minutes of not playing anything through the speaker, correct? 

I'm going to bring this up with engineering and see if this is something that is on their radar.

If I hear anything back I'll  you (and anyone else who is following) know.

Best,

Brandon

DRU
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Not exactly.  Basically what I'm saying is if the SBC codec becomes "not active" at any point of time after around 15 minutes of inital connection, the latency will occur.  So if I stop playback at any time after 15 minutes of the initial connection, the latency will occur.  If I just keep a continuous audio stream playing during the whole duration of the bluetooth connection so the SBC codec stays active at all times, then there will be no latency.  Does that make sense?

Hi again DRU,

Ok cool, I'm following you now.  I'll update the ticket with this info.

-Brandon

DRU
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

I just wanted to check in here and see if there have been any updates on this.  Please advise on status.  Thanks.

Hi DRU,

Thanks for the post.  It's been escalated to engineering, and there aren't any updates on it.  I'll ping them again to get more info.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support