Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idossa
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Soundtouch 300 - HDMI ARC Issues on Samsung UN60J6300

I have the Soundtouch 300 connected to a Samsung UN60J6300 TV and as others have mentioned, I to am experiencing intermittent connection loss through the HDMI ARC. So far, I have tried the following:

• Replacing the HDMI cable - I have tried several now, none have worked.
  • Confirmed both the TV and soundbar are up-to-date - ST300 v.17.0.8 and TV v.1510.3
  • Confirmed TV sound settings were correct - Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) turned on; Samsung technician also suggested turning off the Samsung Instant On feature, but it still didn't work.
  • Changing the HDMI-CEC setting in the Bose Soundtouch App to Alternate On
  • Finally, unplugged power to both the TV and ST300 - This is the only thing that works to get the HDMI ARC working again.

Once the power is pulled and everything is plugged back in, the ST300 will work on HDMI ARC for about a week or two before I have to power cycle both the TV and ST300 again.

Over the last few months, I've been playing with the various settings and configurations on the TV and ST300 to get this thing to work, all with no luck. The one thing that seemed to help run on ARC a little bit longer than previous (ran for about 7 weeks) was to unplug my Google Chromecast device that was plugged in. The other two HDMI ports are being used for the cable box and xbox.

Any other suggestions on anything I may have missed or could try?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian van de Sand
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2018

Re: Soundtouch 300 - HDMI ARC Issues on Samsung UN60J6300

Author Accepted Answer selected by idossa
Hi Idossa,

Despite all your ( and other members) efforts it seems that the combination Bose/Samsung ARC does not work properly. I have tried all the options and the only option I found was to connect through the optic cable.
Using a Harmony remote I am able to automate the start-up and shutdown process of multiple devices, but it is certainly not the way it should be.
And it takes away an input I wanted to use for something else. I can only suggest Bose to work out this issue with Samsung because it looks like the issue is within the protocol they use for ARC communication.
Otherwise this will become a never ending story.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi idossa,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Thank you for providing the troubleshooting steps you've already performed. This is very helpful. This step may or may not help, but there has actually been a recent SoundTouch firmware update, version 17.0.12. Just to be sure the SoundTouch 300 system is completely up-to-date, I'd recommend updating your system. More information and update instructions can be found HERE

Based on the information you've provided, it certainly sounds like you have all of your settings configured properly. You've also tried the SoundTouch 300's CEC Alternate On setting, which is also a great troubleshooting step. 

Curiously, what seems to happen when the intermittent connection issue occurs? Do you simply lose audio? Does the TV screen also go completely blank? Do you receive any type of HDMI or HDCP error message on your TV screen?

Thank you,

Brian - Bose Support

idossa
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Hi Brian_M,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had updated the firmware to 17.0.12 just shortly after my original message. Since the update, I haven't experienced any disconnect from the soundbar (although, I believe the disconnect hasn't happened because I've power cycled the TV and soundbar). 

As for the type of disconnect, it varies. I have had disconnects occur where the soundbar will turn on with the TV (TV light on the soundbar will light up) but no sound will come through. On the TV, I can switch back to the TV audio and it works fine. Then trying to switch back to the soundbar, still no sound. Only a power cycle fixes this issue. Other times, the TV light on the soundbar won't even light up, and the TV audio automatically takes over without me having to manually switch to the TV audio source. Again, only a power cycle of both will fix the issue.

In both cases mentioned above, when doing a search for HDMI/ARC sources through the TV, the TV displays "No sources detected" (or something along those lines). 

The only thing that seems to have kept the connection for a longer period of time was to disconnect the Chromecast that I had connected. When having the Chromecast connected all HDMI connections on the TV where in use. Not sure, if the Chromecast was causing any issues, or if this was just a coincidence that the audio through the soundbar started working longer after disconnecting it.

Its been about two weeks since the firmware update and so far it hasn't disconnected.

Thanks.

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello idossa,

Thank you for updating us with your results. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

idossa
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

So the SoundTouch 300 finally gave out after about 4-5 weeks. I received an error message on my TV three days ago, "Anynet+ device is not connected. Please reconnect device and retry." I clicked on "OK" and since the ST300 was still working, I ignored the error message.

Last night when I turned on the TV, the ST300 turned on (TV light turned on), but I couldn't hear any sound. When scrolling the sources (on the TV), I noticed HDMI 2 (where the ST300 is connected) was missing from the list. And once again, the same error message reappeared ("Anynet+ device is not connected. Please reconnect device and retry.") I thought the sound might just be delayed (as this has happened before), but after about 5 minutes there was still no sound. I tried re-scanning for devices through the Anynet+ settings on the TV as well, but the only solution again was to disconnect both the TV and ST300 and reconnect. 

As mentioned previously, I have kept the cable box (HDMI 1), ST300 (HDMI 2) and X-Box One (HDMI 3) connected to the TV and disconnected the Chromecast. This has been very frustrating. Hoping a permanent solution can be found.

EDIT: Just updated the ST300 to version 18.0.11

Thanks.

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @idossa,

I'm sorry to hear this has come back. Can you disable Anynet+? Typically in the past this has caused more issues than help. Let me know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel

idossa
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Hi Joel_D,

I tried disabling the Anynet+ feature, but without Anynet+ I lose the option to control the volume with a single remote and both the TV and ST300 audio play simultaneously causing an echo effect, until I turn one audio source off. That defeats the purpose of using the HDMI ARC feature, doesn't it?

BTW, my TV also updated yesterday to firmware version: 1521.

Brian van de Sand
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by idossa
Hi Idossa,

Despite all your ( and other members) efforts it seems that the combination Bose/Samsung ARC does not work properly. I have tried all the options and the only option I found was to connect through the optic cable.
Using a Harmony remote I am able to automate the start-up and shutdown process of multiple devices, but it is certainly not the way it should be.
And it takes away an input I wanted to use for something else. I can only suggest Bose to work out this issue with Samsung because it looks like the issue is within the protocol they use for ARC communication.
Otherwise this will become a never ending story.

View solution in original post

idossa
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Hi Brian,

Thanks for suggesting the workaround. I spent some time this afternoon to reconfigure the soundbar and my Harmony remote. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks again.