VikingRob007
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2019

Soundtouch 300 Not Playing Devices

Hi, I have a Bose Soundtouch 300 that currently isn't working with certain parts of my system.

I have a Samsung UN46C7000WFXZA TV, and the Bose works fine with it - as long as I'm only trying to listen to cable TV through the HDMI CEC. When I switch to any other option on the TV (Amazon Fire, BluRay, Pandora (through the TV) XBox....no sound from the Bose ST300.

I have tried everything, and cannot figure out what's going on. The TV is currently set to 'External Speaker: On', but even when I turn it to 'Off' and plug in the audio (optical) cable from the TV to the Bose ST300, I still get no audio through the Bose.

I have tried unplugging the HDMI cables from all of my devices and plugging them back in, which has not worked.

My set up is as follows:

Cable box to Bose ST300 - HDMI In

Bose ST300 to TV - HDMI-ARC/CEC Out to TV HDMI 2 CEC In

BluRay, XBox, and Amazon Fire - take up the remaining 3 HDMI In on my TV (1, 3, and 4)

I have ensured my Bose is up to date with firmware/software.

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L

Re: Soundtouch 300 Not Playing Devices

Author Accepted Answer selected by VikingRob007

Hi VikingRob007,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using your SoundTouch 300 with your TV. Thank you as well for trying that troubleshooting and letting us know how we have everything connected.

From how you have described it, it seems the reason we have audio from the Cable Box only, is because we are using the HDMI  in connection from the soundbar for that, and everything else's connection is being handled by the TV. Have we set the HDMI In Direct Audio setting on the SoundTouch app to configure which source button would be used for that input at all? To find the setting you would need to open the SoundTouch app's menu and go to Settings > Speaker Settings > [your SoundTouch 300] > Advanced Setup > HDMI IN Direct Audio.

One thing I would point out from the troubleshooting you mentioned is: with most TVs when an optical cable is connected we would still need to have External Speaker set to on to use it as an output. So, it may be worth trying it again with the optical cable and the external speaker set to on.

As we are using an HDMI ARC connection to the TV, one of the first things I would always recommend we do is to reset the HDMI handshake between the TV and the soundbar. To do this what would need to do is:

• Turn off the Soundbar and TV
  • Disconnect both from the power for 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the Soundbar to power and let it fully boot up.
  • Turn the Soundbar on and set it to TV mode
  • Reconnect the TV to power and test

Let us know how you get on with these steps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Keith_L

Author Accepted Answer selected by VikingRob007

Hi VikingRob007,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using your SoundTouch 300 with your TV. Thank you as well for trying that troubleshooting and letting us know how we have everything connected.

From how you have described it, it seems the reason we have audio from the Cable Box only, is because we are using the HDMI  in connection from the soundbar for that, and everything else's connection is being handled by the TV. Have we set the HDMI In Direct Audio setting on the SoundTouch app to configure which source button would be used for that input at all? To find the setting you would need to open the SoundTouch app's menu and go to Settings > Speaker Settings > [your SoundTouch 300] > Advanced Setup > HDMI IN Direct Audio.

One thing I would point out from the troubleshooting you mentioned is: with most TVs when an optical cable is connected we would still need to have External Speaker set to on to use it as an output. So, it may be worth trying it again with the optical cable and the external speaker set to on.

As we are using an HDMI ARC connection to the TV, one of the first things I would always recommend we do is to reset the HDMI handshake between the TV and the soundbar. To do this what would need to do is:

• Turn off the Soundbar and TV
  • Disconnect both from the power for 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the Soundbar to power and let it fully boot up.
  • Turn the Soundbar on and set it to TV mode
  • Reconnect the TV to power and test

Let us know how you get on with these steps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

VikingRob007
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2019

Keith,

I tried the settings in the app, which didn't do anything to help. Unplugging everything and plugging it all back in did the trick though.

Thanks,

Rob

Vicky_W

Hello VikingRob007, 

Thanks for marking @Keith_L's answer as the accepted solution. I am sure it will help many others. 

If you need assistance in the future, please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

DH-User
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Hello,

I have a similar issue but not the same.  I recently bought the ST300 Sound Bar a few days ago, set it up with ARC connection to my Visio TV and it worked great.  Then a couple days later downloaded the SoundTouch app and tested it with the speaker from my iPhone...worked fine.  Now I cannot seem to get the TV to play through the Sound Bar.  When originally connected to the TV, the TV speakers automatically were truned off when the Sound Bar received TV audio.  Now the TV speakers play and I cannot seem to find the correct setting on the app to get the TV to play through the Sound Bar again.

What am I doing wrong?

Keith_L

Hey DH-USer,

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry to hear you are also having trouble with your TV audio and I would be happy to help with this.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting above? I would recommend starting with the HDMI reset process I mentioned in the other post. This will reset the connection between the TV and the soundbar for you, and allow the TV to recognize the soundbar is available to be used.

If this still does not provide sound through the soundbar, I would advise that you try using an optical cable, instead of the HDMI cable to connect to your TV. That way we can test whether it is just the HDMI connection, or something more happening between the TV and soundbar.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

DH-User
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Thanks for the quick answer.  i did repeat the process for reseting the HDMI connection by disconnecting power in the order of your example and then reconnecting and powering up as instructed.  The TV sound still does not come through the ST300.  I can go through the process of connecting the devices optically, but that still doesn't answer why I lost the TV sound after loading the app and playing from my iPhone.  The TV is in a precarious position requiring it to be removed from a higher wall position, so I would appreciate being able to exhaust any other method of fixing this before I remove the TV again. Still appreciate your assistance with correcting this.

Keith_L

Hi DH-User,

Thank you for trying that and letting me know.

If you were to use the remote to switch away from the TV source, to Bluetooth or SoundTouch, then switch back to the TV source, would you get audio then?

Since performing the reset, in the TV settings, are the TV speakers still on? If you were to go to the audio settings on the TV and turn those off, would you get audio through the soundbar then?

It would also be worth checking the audio format settings, the soundbar can support PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS as its format, so you would want to make sure you have one of those selected.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

DH-User
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Hello,

Switching between Bluetooth to TV and SoundTouch to TV does not activate audio on ST300.

TV Speakers are still on, but when turned off, ST300 still does not have audio.

TV set to PCM, no help.

Changed HDMI cable, no help.  Same ARC connection that worked originally.

Installed optical connection between TV and Sound Bar and that did work, but is not the best connection.  TV volume control no longer controls the ST300 and requires the ST300 to be turned on separately.  

When connected originally, the ST300 would turn on automatically when the TV was turned on and was controlled by the TV volume.

The WiFi connection is still maintained throughout this entire process...is that a problem?

I believe I may have received a faulty ST300 unit.

Please help.

Keith_L

Hi DH-User,

Thank you for trying that and letting us know.

Having the soundbar connected to the Wi-Fi should not be causing any issues with audio from the TV. The soundbar is designed to stay connected to your Wi-Fi network at all times without any issues.

I do not believe you have a faulty soundbar, this is likely being caused by issues with the HDMI-ARC or CEC communication between the soundbar and the TV.

The next thing I would recommend you try is changing the CEC settings on your soundbar, and making sure HDMI-ARC and CEC are enabled on your TV. 

On the soundbar to change the settings, you would need to use the SoundTouch app. You would need to go to the menu > settings > speaker settings > [your soundbar] > advanced setup > HDMI CEC.

In this menu, we want to test each of the three settings available and see if this allows the TV to detect the soundbar. It may be necessary to power off the TV for 1 minute after changing these settings to allow it to rediscover the soundbar.

Kind Regards,

Keith L