Kicker0927
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 11, 2017

Soundtouch 300 + Samsung QLED ...

I have not been able to find any information regarding the compatibility of the ST300 with Samsung QLED TV's.  According to multiple conversations I've had with Samsung tech support and 5 different Bose store customer support reps, they are unaware of any issues between Samsung TV's and ST300 sound bars (eyes rolling).  According to multiple conversations I've had with Bose tech support, they admit there are issues, but for some reason they haven't been able to come up with a fix for over a year now.  I see tons of customer complaints on-line regarding the HDMI-ARC issues between the ST300 and Samsung TV's, but there must be some success stories right?  

I have ordered the ST300 and subwoofer with the understanding that I will likely be returning it before the 30-day return period is up due to the inevitable problems I expect to have.  I plan to connect everything this coming week and update this posting each day with any issues or problems I incur.  You may be asking why I would order the ST300 after seeing all the negative reviews...all I can say is I've saved up for the ST300 for quite awhile now and I would kick myself for not at least giving it a shot.  I have dreamed of owning a Bose system since I was a kid going into the Bose store with my dad and sitting in the demo room where they would remove picture frames or decorative boxes to reveal those tiny surround sound speakers at the end of the demonstration.  Bose has always been a pinnacle of achievement in my mind and even after reading such horrible reviews of the ST300, I have to give it a fair shake before settling on another option.

For moderators who may be reading this, I have a 2017 Samsung Q7F series TV with the latest firmware installed (1151.0).  The only things I have connected to my TV is a PS4 Pro and an Amazon Firestick.  I will not be connecting anything to the ST300's HDMI input.  I will only be using the ST300's HDMI-ARC connection and will try the optical connection as a last resort.  I am familiar with all the necessary options to enable/disable on my TV prior to use with the ST300. I am well-versed on HDMI-ARC and (CEC) technology, optical connection technology, and the other connectivity platforms such as bluetooth, etc. The soundbar will be placed in an area with no interferance from other electronics, approx. 20 ft from my router, and I will be running every single device involved off my 5GHz wifi network which is well-equipped to handle any bandwidth the ST300 could ask for.  I will also be updating the ST300 firmware immediately upon set-up so everything will be up-to-date.  I will not accept the infamous Bose tech support recommendation to repeatedly reset my sound bar and other hardware as a viable solution to problems I incur during setup or use.  Also, I have ran 3 different sound bars through my TV (Yamaha, Klipsch, and Sonos) and they have all functioned flawlessly through HDMI-ARC connection...I mean FLAWLESSLY, not a single connectivity issue with the system or their relative mobile apps.  I'm just trying to get better sound and I have always loved Bose.  This will be my first Bose "home theater" set-up and I'm praying it doesn't disappoint or it will ruin Bose for me forever.  

My goal is to retain the use of my universal Samsung Smart One Remote (best remote I've ever used) to control volume and power TV & soundbar on/off simultaneously.  This remote connects via bluetooth, but also can emit IR.  My intended uses with the ST300 is for it to be a dedicated TV speaker and also occasionally play music via bluetooth from my iOS devices (mostly from my Apple Music catalog).  I currently use an Iphone 6s Plus and an Ipad Pro.  I understand that the ST300 has an Auto-wake function which will turn it on/off simultaneously with the TV when connected via optical, but this capability is automatic when connected via HDMI-ARC.  The only other function I require is the ability to adjust the volume using my Samsung remote.  If I discover I cannot control the volume via my Samsung remote successfully through HDMI-ARC or optical connection, the sound bar will be returned.  I am fine with making any further sound adjustments through my Iphone app as I would be playing most of my music via mobile bluetooth anyways.  So in essence, I require that the ST300 turns on/off simultaneously with my TV and allows me to control volume through my Samsung remote, that's it.  If either of those things don't work or I have ANY connection issues whatsoever between subwoofer, mobile app, TV, or TV remote, I will fully explain the issues here before returning the sound bar.  

If nothing else, I hope this either helps someone make a decision whether to purchase the ST300 or spurs some kind of activity within Bose to start fixing some of the problems that have reportedly plagued this system for over a year.  Fingers-crossed!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Kicker0927
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 11, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 300 + Samsung QLED ...

I just wanted to write a quick update.  Surprisingly, I received a message today that my Bose package had been dropped off.  I rushed home in excitement and sure enough it arrived in one day!  Amazingly fast shipping.  The packing was comparable to Apple products and of course I was impressed with the quality of the soundbar and subwoofer.  The Bose remote is nice, but way too many buttons and my Samsung One Remote is far simpler so I'm really hoping I can get this thing to work.  Setup was as easy as can be.  My only complaint is that the Quick Start guide does not explain how or where to choose the 5 AdaptIQ listening locations.  It would have been nice if it had stressed to hook up any additional accessories (such as the subwoofer) before running AdaptIQ.  So I will have to run AdaptIQ again once the system is fully setup.  I downloaded the Soundtouch app with ease and following the Quick Start guide the updating process and everything is working smoothly.  I currently have the sound bar hooked up through HDMI-ARC.  I am not allowing myself to fall in love yet.  I can tell you though that I will be heartbroken when the ST300 starts having issues like everyone is experiencing.  It's a very nice set-up and looks great.  So far, I'm pleased.  More to come....

Highlighted
Kicker0927
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 11, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 300 + Samsung QLED ...

Well, this night was interesting.  So I got the system hooked up without much difficulty.  It sounded great.  I figured I would play around with it and switch inputs and try to test out all the little quirky things that seem to be causing others' issues.  So I played some music via bluetooth.  Everything seemed to be fine.  I played around with the Soundtouch app which was pretty lame honestly.  One thing that really irritated me was that the app does not give you the option to switch inputs on the soundbar.  So when you are playing music via bluetooth and want to watch TV, you have to dig out the Bose remote in order to be able to switch the soundbar back to TV.  This was very irritating to me, but I could live with it for as much as I listen to music via bluetooth.  Switching inputs back and forth was fine and there were no issues.  At this point, I was really feeling the sound bar, but still skeptical.

Then the fun began.  Upon switching from bluetooth back to TV, all of the sudden the sound bar just started playing some internet radio station from the Soundtouch app.  However, the Soundtouch app wasn't even open on my phone anymore, I had closed and exited it.  So, I literally had to restart the Soundtouch app and then I had the option of pressing the stop button to stop the music.  I got he input changed back to TV and all my sound was back to normal.  The next issue I noticed was upon turning the TV, the soundbar did not turn on with it.  The TV was hooked up via HDMI-ARC and it should turn on/off with the TV.  That was also one of my requirements.  I was not happy about this.  I connected the optical wire and kept the existing HDMI-ARC connection and that fixed that problem.  Everything ran though HDMI-ARC, but with the optical connection it turned the soundbar on each time I turned my TV on.  Also, my Samsung remote effectively controlled my volume levels as well.  So I was feeling okay at this point.  The system was meeting my needs.  After successfully testing the ARC and optical connection several times I decided to go ahead and switch back to bluetooth.  I wanted to test the subwoofer a bit and see how much bass it could pump out.  So I put on some rap music and all of a sudden the subwoofer connection was lost mid-song.  It was odd, it almost seemed like the subwoofer may have had some built-in protector so the louder the music volume, the more the connection was lost.  The subwoofer would intermittently let out this awful rattle noise and the connection would drop every 20-30 seconds and sometimes take several minutes to reconnect.  At one point, I had to stop the system and manually try to reconnect with the subwoofer and it probably took the sound bar at least 3-4 minutes to reconnect.  At which time it did the same thing.  It was producing a weird rattle noise followed by dropping the connection.  It was odd though because if I lowered the volume the subwoofer had no problems and stayed connected fine during the time I was playing with it.  Even beyond the subwoofer's technical issues, I found the lack of ability to adjust subwoofer volume on the app ridiculous and I was surprised to find the overall amount of bass produced by the subwoofer pretty subpar from what I expected (when it was working).  

Between the epically bad mobile app and the subwoofer connectivity/sound issues, I packed everything up and will be returning the sound bar.  It just wasn't worth the trouble.  I'm very confused about what Bose is doing with this product.  The app is horrible, the unresolved issues, poor connectivity, etc.  The one thing that surprised me was none of the issues I experienced were immediately related to my Samsung TV.  However, I can completely imagine issues likely forming in the days to come.  I'm really disappointed in Bose and their lack of tech details.  The ST300 is a beautiful, solidly built product with an absolutely horrendous bunch of missteps that really could have been avoided from the beginning through proper testing and/or could have been easily fixed via firmware A YEAR AGO when the problems started.  

So, that's it, everything is boxed up and ready to ship back.  I hooked my $279 Yamaha YAS-207 sound bar back up and it honestly sounded great and continues to cause me 0 issues after 4 months of use.  It will be a long time, if ever, before I consider purchasing another Bose product.  Not only did I waste an entire night on setting the ST300 up and troubleshooting, but I could foresee many, many late nights trying to fix that thing when all of it's issues rear their ugly heads!  Shame on you Bose for allowing such a half-assed product to hit the market and remain without the necessary fixes for so long.  The only thing I can imagine is those who rate the ST300 so highly must either not be using it for much or must not be using it for very long.  The sound is great, but the hassle of figuring out work-arounds, fixes, and resets is not worth it.