wnemcik
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2018

Soundtouch 300 Soundbar no sound with cable box

My Soundbar 300 is connected to a Sony XBR-55X900e through the ARC HDMI (3rd HDMI connector on the Sony) and it was working perfectly until yesterday when I had a cable box installed (Arris DCX525e). Then there was no sound coming out of the soundbar anymore. I tried everything on the troubleshooting list from the cable company, Sony and Bose manuals with no luck. I finally went to a Bose store and someone there told me to configure the "HDMI IN Direct Audio" located in the "advance setup" speaker settings using the Soundtouch app. So I went home and configured the settings by "turning on the toggle switch to play sorround sound directly from a source" and by choosing the cable box icon bellow. I turned the whole system on and bingo, finally there was sound coming from the soundbar again. So I turned the system off, went out to pickup my wife from work and when we came home I turned the whole system back on and to my surprise, again, there was no sound from the soundbar. Since then and again I've been trying everything on the book (resetting, shutting down, turning back on, etc., etc.) to no avail. Any suggestions???  Thank you in advance for your prompt response.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 300 Soundbar no sound with cable box

I would use HDMI from cable box to tv.  HDMI ARC from tv to Bose 300.  Go into your Sony tv settings and turn off internal speakers and turn on optical/HDMI sound and CEC.

Highlighted
wnemcik
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2018

Thank you Jim but I have already done all that with no positive results.

Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

Highlighted
wnemcik
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2018

Also did that but...

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi wnemcik,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Also, thank you @Xyz987 for providing some great troubleshooting steps! 

Curiously, have you tried toggling the SoundTouch 300's CEC settings at all? If not, let's try each setting to see if this helps:

1. Locate the HDMI-CEC setting in the SoundTouch app. 
  2. In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC.
  3. To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
    1. Default On Enables CEC
    2. Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies
    3. Off: Disables CEC
  4. Press the X in the upper right to close the window

Please let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
wnemcik
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2018

Thank you Brian, I tried as you have suggested toggling between CEC setting modes but nothing happened. The strange thing is that if I disconnect the cable box from the HDMI input on the TV then I can hear the sound from the soundbar. For some reason connecting the cable box to the tv mutes the soundbar.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there wnemcik,

Very odd.  And just to confirm, you connected the cable box HDMI direct to the ST300 and enabled the HDMI direct audio in the SoundTouch app, and this did not produce audio?

I wonder if there are any audio output settings we can change on the television itself?  Or possibly disable any CEC settings in the TV?

When the HDMI is plugged in and the soundbar mutes, does it also mute the other sources on the Soundbar like bluetooth and SoundTouch Wi-Fi audio?

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support