Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

Re: iRe: Soundtouch 300 new user & Samsung TV

Please let me know if I can help in anyway with this very frustrating issue.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 7, 2017

Hi Sally,

Sorry for the long delay in updating the world (well, anyone who has the same problem) on my Samsung/Bose no-sound issue, but I've been very busy on a work project.

The good news is that I've solved the problem, more or less. First, I switched to the optical cable instead of the HDMI. Then I found a setting I hadn't seen before on the TV that gives the option of selecting TV speakers or external speakers, and I clicked on external speakers. Even then I still had no sound.

But then I found a setting on the TV for surround sound speakers and the volume levels were set to zero for every speaker! I've never seen nor touched this function before, because for the past five years or so I've used the Samsung speakers that came with the DVD player, and connected directly to the DVD player, so zero may have been the factory setting for the TV. I set the volume levels to 5 and immediately the Bose system worked - brilliantly. I feel a bit of an idiot, but at least it worked.

I tried switching from the optical cable back to HDMI but, while the system was updating itself after syncing with my laptop for accessing radio stations, it switched itself off after 10 minutes, which was the old problem I had with the HDMI, so I'm sticking with optical. I've seen this problem referenced elsewhere so I will investigate further.

Also, the Samsung DVD player still has to be manually toggled to the "HDMI On" setting every time I switch it on or change a DVD, but that's something I can live with until I find a solution. For now, it's good to know that the two systems are compatible and can actually work!

Thanks for all your help with this.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

First, good for you!

Glad you've resolved the " no audio" issue.

Geez, so many hoops to jump through.

We have been promised a Bose 300 ST - UPDATE the week after the 4th of July.

I wonder what is in store for all of us then......

We will see

Sally