Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 4, 2017

Soundtouch 300 question

I have a Samsung 4K TV, with the One Connect box. I plugged my component's HDMIs into it (DVD, Cable box + Firestik), and could not get sound from my Soundtouch 300 and bass module with the HDMI ARC cable, but could get sound with the Optical Audio cable. Any ideas on why the HDMI ARC didn't deliver sound?
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Soundtouch 300 question

Hello RickMeier,

Thanks for your post. I would like to clarify a few things from you about the issue with ARC.

• What model is your Samsung 4K TV?
  • Has the SoundTouch 300 worked in the past with your TV with the ARC connection?
  • Is CEC enabled on your TV? (This is known as ANYNET+ within the settings) 

A couple of things I can suggest to try. Attempt a power reset on your Samsung TV (unplug from power for 60 seconds), as well on the SoundTouch 300 and unplug and re-seat the HDMI cable on both ends. Also make sure CEC is enabled on the SoundTouch 300 or try the "CEC alternate on" setting. The following will help you adjust or turn on CEC for the Soundtouch 300:

1. In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC.
  2. To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
    1. Default On Enables CEC
    2. Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies
    3. Off: Disables CEC
  3. Press the X in the upper right to close the window

Please let us know if this works for you.

Regards

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 11, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 300 question

Rick, don't waste your time with Bose tech support recommendations.  Do a quick Google search and you will see that the HDMI ARC connection issue with Samsung TV's has been an issue Bose has been "working on" for over a year now.  The just of it is, it doesn't work and it doesn't appear that Bose will ever fix it.  They just can't figure it out.  I don't know why, but they can't.  I have a 2017 Samsung Q7F and use a $270 Yamaha soundbar that has worked flawlessly via HDMI ARC since day one through firmware updates and TV updates.  I wish Bose would consult with Yamaha and figure out what they are doing.  My recommendation is return the ST300 unless you are content with using the optical connection, not being able to use the remote, and still dealing with other connection issues.  I received this response from Bose just an hour ago regarding the ARC issues:

Our engineers made sure that the system is compatible with devices running the same HDMI-ARC port. However, there may be some incompatibility issues that will arise after an update with either your soundbar or your TV is released. Our engineers are working to arrive on a stable resolution for this issue. While HDMI is a very good type of connection, the ARC feature is not a perfect connection yet. We can instead use the optical cable for your system. The optical cable accepts the same digital signal necessary for your soundbar to broadcast a home theater experience so there is no lost on the audio quality you get. Since you'd be needing the ARC connection for control using your TV remote, we can't guarantee a stability on this connection. Any updates and software releases are announced on our community page: https://community.bose.com/t5/English/ct-p/en