Highlighted
David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Soundtouch 300 - wrong screen size via HDMI in passthrough

An odd issue has occured with one of my Soundtouch 300s in the past week or so.

If I connect either my Mac Mini or PS3 to the HDMI in port, the picture passed through regardless of the resolution (I tried 720p, 1080p and 2160p from Mac) that is set has an oversized vertical size so that the top of the display is off the screen and changing any underscan settings (on the Mac) are not able to connect for that.

The sound is working correctly with both Mac and PS3 confirming that the Bose supports up to 7.1 channels with 192khz as expected.

This Soundtouch 300 was working perfectly fine and the issue occured when 20.0.8 was installed and still present with 20.0.10.

I suspected the problem was the settings for Bose LS device was remembered on the Mac but as I said the issue is also reproduced on the PS3.

I will try performing a full reset on this unit tomorrow, my other unit does not have this problem with same 20.0.10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 300 - wrong screen size via HDMI in passthrough

Author Accepted Answer selected by David Moore

Today I have finally managed to identify the problem solve this, see below:

When you connect via the HDMI direct in port of a Soundtouch 300, aspect ratio data is not passed through from the originating source and the aspect ratio is gets wrongly set to 4:3 (suggesting the Soundtouch has it's own aspect ratio).

Bose can address this be adding a comment on the manual or making possible firmware update to the HDMI controller (which the Soundtouch app calls Si9777) of the soundbar to ensure that the direct input sources aspect data data is passed through or changing the default ratio for trhe device Bose LS to 16:9 (the easy solution as all new TVs are 16:9).

Mac OS 10.12.6 does not have any option to set the aspect ratio, only resolution and underscan.

The fix is to change the TV setting from auto to 16:9 or full and hide your original TV remote from cats and use the Soundtouch one.

Once that is done, set the underscan back to halfway and check audio midi settings which is now back to 48khz, 8 channel, 24 bit. 7.1 surround.

I only need to find the Adapt IQ again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Todays update:

Tried a reset using the soundtouch and teletext buttons on the affected Soundtouch 300.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cables.

None of this resolved the the problem. Which to be exact is where the display is correctly sized but left start position for both horizontal and vertical is off screen leaving a border of about 3 cm at the button and about 1 cm at the side of the 43 inch TV display when viewed in 1080p.

Of interest the Mac is started in a recovery mode, that displays correctly

For the monent, I have done a workarond which was to connect the HDMI cable which was plugged into the HDMI in port directly to the TV and then the picture is ok, however Audio/Midi setup confirms the TV as only supporting Sterio (which is incorrect) but it least I hear something.

All of ths suggests I need to try to delete the settings for the Bose LS device from the setup files and then try again so if if the settings can be corrected when HDMI in is tried again.

So this means I may beed to discuss this matter further of an Apple Forum.

Any useful suggestions are welcome which is trying to force correct surround source identifiication if connection from the Mac is done using Optical.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi David, 

Thank you for the post, I'm sorry to hear that you've had this issue.

You have pretty much gone through most of the suggested troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue. Though i do find it strange that the ST300 remembers the MAC aspect ratio for when you connect your PS3. I would suggest to disconnect both the TV and the ST300 from power for about a minute and re-connect them to see if this may help with the issue.

I look forward to hearing your update on this.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by David Moore

Today I have finally managed to identify the problem solve this, see below:

When you connect via the HDMI direct in port of a Soundtouch 300, aspect ratio data is not passed through from the originating source and the aspect ratio is gets wrongly set to 4:3 (suggesting the Soundtouch has it's own aspect ratio).

Bose can address this be adding a comment on the manual or making possible firmware update to the HDMI controller (which the Soundtouch app calls Si9777) of the soundbar to ensure that the direct input sources aspect data data is passed through or changing the default ratio for trhe device Bose LS to 16:9 (the easy solution as all new TVs are 16:9).

Mac OS 10.12.6 does not have any option to set the aspect ratio, only resolution and underscan.

The fix is to change the TV setting from auto to 16:9 or full and hide your original TV remote from cats and use the Soundtouch one.

Once that is done, set the underscan back to halfway and check audio midi settings which is now back to 48khz, 8 channel, 24 bit. 7.1 surround.

I only need to find the Adapt IQ again.

View solution in original post

David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

A related issue can happen when connected through HDMI direct in and the TV turns off and you switch back in, colour size and size size can be confused and switching the off and on back on can work.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Hi David,

Thank you and well done for figuring out this issue out and also providing a solution to it. This is really great and we hope this helps others in the community. 

We would like to thank you again for taking the time to solve this issue and we hope you have a great day.

Kind regards,

Prince O