laoprod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Soundtouch 520 CEC function suddenly stopped working

I have been just recently enjoying my Bose Soundtouch 520 (Cinemate) with my Sharp Aquos 75'' 4K TV via ARC.

Everything was working perfectly fine through CEC on both devices. I had the Bose HDMI cable running into the TV input on the Bose console into my Sharp ARC (HDMI 2). I had all the settings set up correctly CEC & MHL Control on in the TV and CEC on Alternate on the Bose console. They were working together perfectly fine, I was able to turn on/off both devices with either my Sharp remote or my Bose remote as well as volume.

Suddenly about a week ago, the communication between the two devices stopped completely. I've done factory resets/firmware upgrades on both devices and nothing is resolved. I've tested all HDMI cables and inputs on both devices and each and every component is working seperately. I can play music through my Bose console via Bluetooth on my iPhone/Macbook or connected hardwired with HDMI in all inputs. But the television and the Bose console just simply will not speak to eachother, when I click "CEC detect" on the television, it finds nothing. Before, the Bose system was listed under the CEC devices in my television. And because my Bose system does not detect a television anymore, whenever I try to troubleshoot the issue, the Bose system will automatically turn off after about 20 mins because it sees no connection at all.

What is going on?! Please help! 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Soundtouch 520 CEC function suddenly stopped working

Hi laoprod,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your system. 

Thank you for doing those troubleshooting steps.  In your post it says you've done factory resets, but can we try power cycles on the systems?  If you could (and haven't already) can we remove power from everything for at least one minute?

If the power cycle doesn't do the trick and resolve the CEC issues, I would recommend contacting your local support center to arrange for service.

If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
laoprod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Hi Brandon,

So pulling the plug from both devices?

Just curious, is there a difference between powering off the units and actually removing the power plugs from the devices? Is that a different power cycle?

I'll try this tomorrow, but I'm curious to know whether shutting off the device via remote is different to actually removing power from the unit via cable. Thanks, Brandon

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there,

Yes, there is a big difference between pulling the power cable, and just turning off the system.  When you turn off your ST 520 using the remote, it puts the system into a low power "standby".  When we are pulling the power cable, everything in the system powers down and completely discharges, allowing the electronics inside to properly reset.

Thanks,

Brandon