Teemoney2017
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2017

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

How do you update the speaker with out using your phone?
NiallT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 19, 2017

Reading these posts it is clear that Spotify and Bose use different methods to identify speakers and that the Bose method is much more flakey. Can someone from Bose provide a technical description of how their location method works so that when things go wrong we know where to look rather than blindly resetting everything. In particular I would like to understand the following behaviour: when I am in the living room where my speakers are, SoundTouch (Android App Version 15.120.23 ) finds the speakers OK, when I move to the study where my wireless hub is, SoundTouch cannot find the speakers, if I go back to the living room it connects OK again. It seems that the app is trying to do something smart to find speakers physically nearby, and this may cause some of the problems.

sherlockQw
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 4, 2018

how do you get the app to work when it does not work 

Mskak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Hi sherlockQw,

That is simple to answer: We don't! 

That's why so many people are complaining - it's amazing that Bose does not respond to even serious questions/critique, like the one that NiallT has raised just above your question. 

cpralle
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 28, 2016

I have had problems over the last year connecting with the speakers, but recently things have cleared up substantially.  My issue was that I was running a WiFi repeater for additional coverage in the house, and the Bose system was getting confused about which network the various endpoints were on (I have three).  I recently upgraded to the Google mesh WiFi solution, and not only is my WiFi connection much better throughout my house, but the Soundtouch system is much, much more stable.

You also have to be careful that your phone is not switching away from Wi-Fi to use cell data because your WiFi coverage is crap at some locations in your house.  I can be hard to tell when a phone has decided to switch off of wifi to cellular and this would be one case where the spotify app could still control your endpoints even though the Soundtouch app cannot.  One way to test this is to pull the SIM from your phone, which forces the phone to use WiFi or nothing.

Bose people:  the real solution to this problem is to provide cloud-based connectivity to the soundtouch devices.  The server overhead to establish the connection through the net should not be that costly, and it would mean that poor WiFi would not affect the customer experience.  You could always default to WiFi first, then check the cloud if WiFi isn't working to further reduce the overhead.

Highlighted
tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

I have outlined a similar SoundTouch experience as cpralle, where my solution uses 3 modern wired access points on a wired/powerline network to achieve reliability throughout my urban home which is full of metal ceilings and saturated with neighbors' WiFi signals.

As for keeping your phone from switching away from WiFi, I assume there are settings to let you do that without having to remove the SIM. I notice a delay when my phone may be transitioning between access points, but at least it now seems to always find the speakers. Although not necessarily, for convenience, I keep an inexpensive WiFi only tablet loaded exclusively with the SoundTouch app.

As for the cloud-based connectivity, I agree with cpralle's suggested hybrid soulution, but I would strongly caution against relying completely on cloud-based connectivity. Alexa seems to do that and Alexa fails for me (with Bose and other smart devices) far more often than SoundTouch. And SoundTouch playing from a music server on my local network never fails.

Mskak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

As usual, I'm having problems with my system.
Surprisingly, the app has now been working stably for a while, but by updating the speaker last week, a new one was introduced. Error 1012... Cannot connect to internet stations, and the unit seems to start and stop at random.
So, being the good boy that I am, I came in here to look for fellow companions that are also suffering with Bose's poor software.
While browsing, Bose asked me to evaluate my visit, and I thought, that this would be my chance, but alas, I was only allowed 500 characters, which is not more than a couple of SMS, and certainly not enough to describe my sufferings with this company.
So... Now I'm left with a product that doesn't work, and a company that obviously didn't want to hear about it.
Here is what I was trying to write...:

"I'm so glad you finally asked!

I have a Soundtouch 20 or 30 (can't remember) and it is so bloody unstable. It has always been.

Sometimes it connects fine. Sometimes it starts and stops at random, no matter what channel we're listening to. The Soundtouch app for Android that I'm using in my Galaxy phones almost never connects to the system. And lately, while it is in one of is "start and stop" phases, I was trying to remote control it via the app, which surprisingly has been working stably lately.
Now it turns out, that it has an error 1012.... Something about internet radio stations.
Dear Bose. Your products look nice. Your products sound very good when they work, but that's just the problem... They don't work, and it is annoying.
Please don't give me one of your standard idiot replies about resetting, and so on. I've been there and done that a hundred times, and not once has it worked. "
Good luck! Regards Morten
mattius
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

I've found two things which help with this masively.

1) If you can provide your soundtouch speakers with static ip address'

As mentioned previously the soundtouch speakers announce thereselves to the app via an SSDP response, the problem is that they don't always answer the request. The app seems to only send out one request, what it should do is send out at least 2 over the space of 2mins to get all speakers to respond, ideally it should be continually sending out requests every minute.

2)So if your app doesn't see the speakers the first time, force close it on your phone etc, and re-oppen it immediatly. (sometimes takes a couple of times) but i can usually get all my speakers visible to the app doing this. Every time the app opens it sends a request, as below the speakers are unreliable in their response to that request.

Its a workaround, until Bose sort the awful design of their speaker finding process.

Why not make it a manual re-scan bose, the app stores the ip/mac address of the speaker, if a user changes their network they can click the re-scan option. That way you are not relying on your flakey SSDP response.

Interestingly if i check say my TV, it gets 100% response to 24 hours of 60s SSDP requests, the soundtouch speakers vary massively, some respond 90%, some are down at 65%. They are all on the same network, all have good signal and all have static ip's so are not affected by any DHCP issues. Oh yeah and to combat response from Bose i did a ping at the same time i did the SSDP request, all devices responded 100% of the time.

Mskak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Great input Mattius!

I just wish Bose would realize that is not the user that should have to setup static IP addresses. I bet that 95% of all users don't even know what that is.

And as long as the Spotify app can connect to the speaker flawlessly, every time, I'll still say that Bose should be able to do the same with their app. It's their ******* speaker! 😀
gvenditto
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

There are many threads about this problem here because there are many of us that are victims of Bose's incompetence on this issue. The only way it is going to be fixed is if those of us who are being screwed speak up. One thing I am sure of is that Bose completely ignores that happens here. I did get an official response from them after an email exchange -- it took more than a month and multiple requests for a refund but they did admit they know about the bug in SoundTouch and they are trying to fix it. It's now 10 days since I received that email.

I encourage everyone to contact them and let them know about the problem  -- https://www.bose.com/en_us/contact_us.html

What they admitted is that the SoundTouch software does not stay connected to the speakers on the WiFi network - as some people have pointed out, a possible solution would be to change the WiFi connection from DHCP to static -- but it is crazy that a consumer product sold in malls would require us to re-configure our router software. I have tried and it is beyond me. I ended up freezing my router connection. Believe me, you can waste hours tinkering with a router and if you have a familiy that is trying to watch netflix and use their computers, you are disrupting all of them.

This is NOT OUR PROBLEM to fix -- it is BOSE's problem to fix. Ask for your money back. If you have your receipt -- take it back to the store. I didn't keep mine. I bought it in April and it worked fine for months. Why would I keep it? Then they changed the software, and every time I want to use the speakers I bought, I have to spend 15 minutes re-configuring the the Wifi, pressing buttons, re-connecting the Bluetooth. It's maddening. COMPLAIN PEOPLE. Tell Bose to fix the problem they created.