Highlighted
jeshurtado
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 15, 2018

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

A possible SOLUTION to the problem with 5 ghz networks.

As we know, at first the application works and after a while you can not find the speakers. I discovered that this happens when the router automatically changes the channel of 5 mgz network. For example, if we have channel 112 on the router and add the speaker to the Bose application, it works fine at first, but then if the router automatically switches to channel 48, for example, the application can no longer find the speakers. Changing the channel can occur for various reasons, such as having it configured automatically, but sometimes it also happens that even if it is configured to a specific channel, if this is greater than 100, the router can download it to another automatically, because the channels high are by law reserved for other uses. For example, if we have the router configured on channel 112, if it detects radiation from weather or military stations on that channel, the router automatically switches to a lower channel and therefore the app stops finding the speakers.

In summary, to solve the problem:
- Put the band of the network of 5 ghz manually, choosing a channel below 52, ​​for example channels 36, 40, 44, 48 and 52, so that the router does not change channels automatically.
- There are routers that have the option to automatically change the bands, you should disable this option. In some routers it is called "coexistence OBSS", in others "SCS (Smart Chanel Selection)". We have to deactivate this option.
- We must avoid anything that allows the automatic change of channel, if we always keep the same the Bose app will work ok, at least in my case it has been like that.

I hope this helps you. A greeting.

Forgive my bad English, I'm Spanish.

grrava2
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 6, 2015

You seem to forget that this problem only occurs with the soundtouch device.

Say that my router indeed switches the 5GHz channel all the time (which I highly doubt), why is it that only the soundtouch device can't handle that, while all other streaming devices in my home continue to work properly?

tbecker1000
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 15, 2017

I have a single, older Soundtouch 20 and have never had a problem connecting from an Android device using the application until a couple of months ago. I have not been able to solve the connection issue apart from elapsed time. I run a commercial grade Unifi network with a single wireless AP in my home. Overall, this is the simplest of scenarios. I run IP radio's from other providers for my kids and they never have an issue. I too am ready to upgrade an older Bose radio, alarm clock, CD player and am pausing on a purchase due to the connection issues. The real question is "Is Bose willing to lean into the issues they own as it is a proprietary device leveraging proprietary software performing a basic function?"

If this is a truly networking / equipment issue as is implied by many of these posts, then Bose needs to solve this. No other device on my network has issues. I will admit that in 2018 networking is more complex than it was even 3 or 5 years ago. The digital world is a hostile world. There are also accepted ways of navigating that world.

If this is an Android issue, then Bose needs to make a public statement as to whether Android is a supported platform or if Apple is the platform of choice and all other options are at the buyer's own risk.

If this issue is not related to networking or Android specifically, then Bose needs to decide what business it wants to be in and clearly declare their intentions.

Bose: What say ye?

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello tbecker1000,

Thank you for the detailed information in your post. I apologize you have been dealing with this issue for a while. Can you provide us the make, model and Android OS of the device you are having the issue with? We do support android devices as long as the OS is Android 4.4 or higher.

Let us know the results.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

edgardelcastillo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

¡Gracias Jesus!
It worked perfectly. I changed my router settings as you suggested. I used channel 5 and channel bandwidth 40Mhz and left all of the other settings as they were and "voilá", Sountouch 10 speakers (I have 2) work perfect with the SoundTouch Android app again!
Thank you for the great tip!
¡Abrazo desde México!
Geric
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

I just joined this thread, and I have this same problem. The Soundtouch app will only find my “speaker” (Bose Wave Radio IV) about 1 out of 100 attempts. 

Here is is a bit more information to add:

1. The Wave Radio is connected wirelessly to the Internet. Using the remote I can control it and always listen to music via pre-saved Pandora stations. 

2. When I look at the list of network clients using my Arris gateway utility the Wave Radio is not listed. It’s as if it isn’t connected. But it is!  I can use it to listen to Pandora. 

3. If I hook up the Wave Radio using an Ethernet cable the Wave Radio shows up as a network client. If I open up the App using a wireless device it cannot find the Wave Radio. However, if I open up the Soundtouch app with a laptop that is also wired to the gateway the app works just fine.  And, strangely enough, the app on the wireless device now works as well. 

4. Now, if I resume using the wireless approach for the Wave Radio and the Soundtouch app (using wireless iPhone, iPad, or Win 10 laptop) the app once again cannot find the Wave Radio. And the Wave Radio is no longer listed on the gateway’s list of clients. 

Obviously I’m no networking expert, but it would appear that the Wave Radio hardware and/or Soundtouch app is not communicating properly to some sort of a wireless query/response protocol initiated by the gateway/router.  

So, question to Bose technical gurus:  what’s going on?

jerake75
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

Wow...I just started having this problem also after the last app update.  

So again, moments of my life are wasted (first by the PlayAll issue, then by the SiriusXM issue that happened last week) troubleshooting another Bose Soundtouch problem.  That's what sends my blood pressure boiling - why is there always a problem when I try to use my Bose speakers as intended?  IF SOMETHING WORKS, LEAVE IT BE.  Not never once do I not have to stop what the activity I am doing when I notice a problem with the speakers and kick things in the pants to make things work - the most frustrating app I've ever dealt with yet.  I refuse to buy any more Bose products after this.

Now that I've had my rant - I've noticed that suddenly, either while playing my speakers (single or multiple) it stops finding some of my speakers.  Just happened twice.  I have to close the app, turn off wifi, turn back on wifi on my iPhone 7, and sometimes power cycle all the speakers to get them to be found again.  And out of seven speakers, it seems to not want to find my original three, the first three I had set up for a long time before adding the other four.  

This has happened at random on both my iPod touch and iPhone 7 - sometimes the iPod will not find those speakers, but the iPhone will be fine and find all seven, or vice versa.

I have a Mac Airport Xtreme as my home router.  No changes at all to the network in the last few months - only after the app update did this nonsense start happening.

Community Manager

Hello Geric

Thanks for writing in!  Sorry to hear about the issues, but would be glad to assist! 

Can you please provide the make/model of your router any access points in the home?  Also, who is the internet service provider?

@jerake75 I'm sorry that you've run into so many issues while using the system.  It sounds like you may be a great candidate for a test patch that has resolved a lot of the play all issues, which may also help with the system detection issues as well.  I've sent you a PM to gather a bit more information.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Geric
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

Here's the info you asked for.  Hope it helps.

Router is an Arris SBG7580-AC gateway.  (combo cable modem/router/wireless access point)

Service is provided via Comcast.

The gateway is the only wireless access point.

There are two wireless frequencies used:  2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The Bose Wave Radio and all devices used to run the SoundTouch app are on the 5Ghz frequency.

The 2.4Ghz frequency is set to Channel 5.  The 5Ghz frequency is set to 'Auto'.

All other clients on the network behave as they should.

Community Manager

Hi Geric

Thanks for providing the information.  Can we try changing a few settings in the router to see if we can get system to be detected a bit more consistently?

• Disable WMM or QoS
  • Change DNS servers to public Google servers
    • Login to router
    • Access LAN setup
    • Enable DNS override
      • Set primary to 8.8.8.8
      • Set secondary to 8.8.4.4
    • Save the settings and then power reset the router/modem for 30 seconds

Once this is completed can we try and have you see if the systems pop up more consistently on your mobile devices or a computer?

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A