cpralle
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2016

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

Actually, just had a Soundtouch Wireless Link go off the reservation again.  I do have 5GHz enabled.  Haven't tried to disable that, and wouldn't find that solution acceptable, but if someone from Bose would like me to try that, I will.

Mskak
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

I am sorry to inform you, that you won't be getting a solution to this problem, which hundreds of users have reported over the years.
It's always the same issue: the Soundtouch app works fine when you install it, but after a short while it cannot connect/find your speaker anymore. It will just keep you waiting without any useful error description.
I've been having this issue for years, been reading and searching through countless threads, been filled with the same BS from Bose employees about the configuration of routers. They will be asking for tons of debugging information, and in the end, they will just ask you to reconfigure your router or, if you're really lucky, getting in the hands of a beginner, they'll be asking you to reboot!
The router configuration changes might work for the few who knows how to access that, but the wast majority of the users will just be sitting, like me, wondering why the .... Spotify can access the Bose speaker through their app flawlessly, while Boses own app cannot!
Bose: I really like your product, but your app, support and ability to help people making it work stinks!
I don't expect any sensible reply to this. It will probably be deleted. I hope You, on the other hand, don't expect us to buy your products, ever again!
olliearfa
Participant
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

hi... my soundtouch app cannot find my speaker and then it ceases to operate on my desktop computer

tww
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

I found that if you have WiFi range extenders and/or both 2.4 and 5Ghz networks in the picture issues come and go with finding the SoundTouch devices. If you can keep all of the devices on one WiFi network it may work more reliably. So maybe a "super range wireless router" is a solution. Still, for big houses or houses with metal ceilings between floors (like mine), Bose makes it a challenge to have SoundTouch devices working in multiple rooms (you would think Bose would be great at this). Range extenders worked fine for my other mobile devices, printers and such. Anyhow I have found good reliability for SoundTouch devices by replacing range extenders with PowerLine devices (effectively extending my wired network) and placing a wireless access point at remote PowerLines (this also works well for my remote TiVo devices). Powerline results may vary depending on your home's power wiring configuration.

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi olliearfa, 

In adding on to tww's comment, can you check to make sure your desktop and your system are on the same network? If your computer has hopped to a different network, client detection issues like this can happen. Are you also experiencing this client detection issue with any mobile devices you have or is it only with the desktop? Can you power cycle your computer and re-test? Can you also try to unplug your system from power for 30 seconds and re-test? 

Thank you

Mskak
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

This thread is about the (Android) APP not finding the speakers - it keeps searching for them. Tons of people have been having the same problem, but no senbible answer has ever been given. Instead people are spending hours debugging and writing technical information. All I've seen in reply are questions and advice to re-boot or re-configure the wireless router to only broadcast on certain mHz bands. This is purely a bad excuse and a waste of peoples time, since the speaker can be found perfectly well via another app (Spotify). 

BOSE: Prove me wrong! Here is a list of all the times you've been asked this question. Find me one good answer that will solve this problem, and stop asking me to re-configure my router or re-boot.

One more time: The app works the first time it's installed - but the next time you open it, it will not find the speaker. It says "Give us a minute to find this speaker" - and NOTHING happens. It will stay like this for as long as you like to wait. Disconnecting/reconnecting the BOSE speaker (in my case a Soundtouch 20) does not help. My speaker is totally updated with the latest software (done many times) - my Samsung Galaxy S6 app is updated.

Don't ask me to debug or to reset my system - i've done it many times by now and it doesn't help. So have the other people. Don't ask me to reconfigure my router - you've got to solve this within your own software, just like Spotify has!

Mskak
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

An amazing thing has happened shortly after I wrote my last post in this thread: the Soundtouch App has been working flawlessly!

At first I couldn't believe it, but it's been for some weeks now. I'm not sure when it was fixed, because I'd given up opening it on a daily basis, just to be annoyed.

But Bose, I have to give you that much credit. It might be my rather angry post, or it might be something else. Either way, it works now. As a part of your social media strategy, I would encourage you to reply to such posts, even though it means admitting that the app has had problems for a long long time.

It would be really interesting to hear from other users in the same situation, if their app is also writhing?!

My situation, shortly: Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, where the app searched for speakers, without ever finding them. It had been so for all the time I've had this phone (2 years, I guess). Read my post above for more info.

Sadly, the new Samsung Galaxy S8 is arriving shortly...Do I dare hoping, that it will work with the Soundtouch app? 🙂
kiatng
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2017

Being a coder, I reckon that the app was written by people who don't know what they are doing most of the time. This explains why it only works sometimes in some cases.
tww
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

I suspect the people writing the SoundTouch app generally have a good idea of what they are doing. However I might agree that not enough testing took place for scenarios outside of "the happy path" (i.e. the most basic and straight-forward configurations assuming perfect network environment) and they have been slow to add new features. It is unfortauntely "par for the course" to get product out the door and let end users do the testing these days.

With that said, after recent SoundTouch updates, my android phone and tablet (in a multi-wireless-access-point environment) are both finding the SoundTouch devices more quickly and reliably than they did in the past.

TVH
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2017

I had no problem with the App until I installed a second speaker. 

After having read this topic I changed my wireless network (from broadcasting on 2,4 + 5 Ghz to 5 Ghz only) and haven't had a problem since then. There were no updates on the app in between these two situations, just the change I made to my network.