Mskak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

Hi Brandon,

I have to say, that it is dissapointing, that you guys keep asking the same questions over and over again, when by now, you must have realized that your Android app has a fundamental problem. It has nothing to do with wireless or power cycling to do.

The app cannot connect to the speakers - but at the same time, people can connect to the speakers using the Spotify app on the same device. If that's possible, it cannot be due to wifi or the usual advice to power cycle the Bose system.

In my case, it's been like this for years now - you fixed it for a while (see some of my previous posts in this thread), but then it went wrong again.

Try to get your app analyzed instead of asking the same senseless questions over and over again. You will annoy your users. I'm saying this to help!

Morten

Highlighted
tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

I have a lot of sympathy for the users who are expericing the frustration of Android devices not finding the SoundTouch speakers, as I went through that myself some months ago. However for a number of months I have had a consistent, reliable experience accessing 3 SoundTouch devices from two different Android devices on a home network with 3 wireless access points, where the Android devices constantly move among the access points they are connected to.

The SoundTouch devices capabilities on WiFi are impressive (including remembering multiple networks although only attaching to one at a time, and synchronized streaming and/or stereo paring among multiple speakers). ... I have not used the Spotify App but assume it is "seeing" the speakers over WiFi and not Bluetooth.

When I was having the difficulties described by many users in this thread, I had a wireless repeater instead of the distinct access points. The Android App seemed to have problems finding speakers any time after the Android device migrated between networks/repeaters even though everything was sharing the same SSID. With that background in mind, I would agree with Bose's recommendation to reset your network, temporarily eliminate repeaters, mixed-brand access points, access points that are routing, etc (i.e. keep it simple) and see if things work better and then add back the complexity.

However, with that said, Bose does need to step up and make sure that the App is robustly (and quickly) handling situations where a network might have some otherwise invisible hiccups or flaws (most networks do). Users should not have to constantly be disgnosing their networks when the networks otherwise are generally working.

Aranka
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

Same here.

I didn't have problems when I only had one speaker. No that I have 3 SoundTouch 10 speakers, I lose connection all the time. Speaker (s) not found.

Worthless.

JustAnotherUser
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

Just ready through this thread and thought I would add a few points.

1. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should not matter as long as its on the same subnet just like you can have a mixture of wired and wireless. Just check that AP isolation mode is not enabled otherwise the devices won't be able to see each other and only access the WAN.
  2. DHCP. Think someone mentioned that fiddling with these settings helped. It sounds as if the apps don't like devices changing IP based on the intervals reported. Tried to test this but with no success. Just to be sure you could try statically assigning an IP address to each SoundTouch device.
Mskak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Hi TWW,

What an excellent post! That brings us forward - at least to discussing what could be the problem.

Let me describe my situation - because I think I can eliminate most of the causes you mention: I live out in the country - there are no other networks interfeering. I do not have any repeaters. I have only one network access point (wireless router, i think it's called) and it's not been configured - because I don't have a clue about how to do it. It's out of the box.

Yes - the Spotify app sees the speaker via Wifi as well. And no-one has been able to explain to me how it can do that, when Bose's own app cannot. Will someone please give me a sensible explanation to that question? The Spotify app has NEVER failed!!!

The app needs to work, without people having to be technical experts in setting up their wireless networks. 99.9% of all users don't know how to configure a wireless network, and only use it out of the box. I know I do!

Morten

tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Morten,

I installed the Spotify App on an Android device to see if I could get an idea of how the SoundTouch speakers work differently between the two Apps.

The Spotify App and SoundTouch App work seamlessly at the same time for me---kind of impressive actually. I am able to connect to a Bose speaker from Spotity and then open SoundTouch where it shows Spotify as the music source for the speaker. If I want to add an additoinal speaker to the group it appears that can only be done from the SoundTouch App, but then in the Spotify App it appends "Group" to the name of the speaker. ... Given this experience I would assume that Spotify is communicating with the Bose speakers using the Bose API (and not the other way around or some other way). If that is accurate, it does make it even more curious why your SoundTouch App would not as easily see the speakers as your Spotify App. So this is still a question for Bose.

One (weird) thing I noticed is that my Bose speakers each appear 2 or 3 times in the Spotify device list. I assume this is because my speakers are connect to different physical access points (on the same SSID). That makes me think that Bose is doing a little more work (at least on this issue) to keep what may be a "network challenge" looking clean within their App.

Overall, the Spotiy App seems to simply let you select one Bose speaker at a time (or speaker group as created in the SoundTouch app), while the SoundTouch App more complexly, simultaneously manages what is playing on multiple speakers at the same time and keeps information in your SoundTouch account synchronized with each speaker. That doesn't really answer any questions about why Spotify sees the speakers more easily, but I am betting the complexity introduces more points of potential failure.

Maybe your SoundTouch App has cached some information that has corrupted its "vision?" If you haven't already I would perform a factory reset of the speaker and make sure that it and the App are both running the latest versions. My App is version 15.120.23 and my speakers are all version 15.0.20.

-Tad

pvnnpavan
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 26, 2017

Brent_B,

When we are expecting to get update for ST300 which will fix the issue.  This is very very unfair, after we spent so much money on these speakers.  In India I dont have option to return also.. else I would have done by now.

Thanks,

PAVAN

@Brent_B wrote:

Hi keef82 and Mansp1,

Can you try a power cycle reboot of your router and system(s) to see if that corrects the issue?

Thank you 

Hi Pavan,

If you are having continued detection issues, you might have a router that doesn't play well with multimedia devices.  What brand/model router do you have?

Thanks,

Brandon

pvnnpavan
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 26, 2017

I am looking for Bass issue fix..

vivianchou
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 28, 2017

Hi 

I have same problem , I have many Bose small house electranical home this is my first wireless speaker from Bose that is too bad.

Every time I tyied to play muice form my iphone that always said " can't not fine your speaker"  ok! I follwed all instraction to reconnect my home wifi , fine ! its working but... later on.. problem repeting ..

Have you fine out the way to fix it ? if so  plase help

Thank you sososo much