RalphKlein
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 27, 2016

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

My work-around is to ensure that the iOS device is on the same WiFi radio as all the speakers. My four SoundTouch speakers are all on my 5G radio B.

When my IOS devices are connected to B then they always see every speaker. 

When my IOS devices connect to the 5G A radio or the 2.4G radio then they only see some of the speakers. 

It's a nuisance, but it's workable for me.  Of course, in this work-around, I cannot control my soundtouch speakers with an iOS device that only supports 2.4G. 

Also, my wired Windows 10 desktop always connects to all the speakers. 

I hope this info helps someone...

AblesChapin
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 11, 2014

Yep.  I made sure they are all on the same one.  My iMac though, is on my 5GHz, as very physically close to the Verizon FiOS box so can use the faster/shorter range wifi connection.  I have no problem accessing the speakers on the iMac Bose Soundtouch app, even though the speakers are on the longer range/2GHz wifi.  The iPad is on the 2GHz wifi, since I carry it throughout the house.  I've had no problem with that one accessing both speakers simultaneously either.  The iPhone, however, on the same 2GHz wifi connection, could only access on speaker at a time.  

Apparently, the 2GHz extender device (that increases the speed and the range of the wifi to 5GHz) somehow interferes with the iPhone's Bose Soundtouch app.  It does not interfere with any of the others.  And, despite telling the iPhone to 'forget' the 2GHz extender wifi, the Bose Soundtouch app would still not pick up both speakers at one time on the iPhone app.  The speakers are on the 2GHz wifi (NOT the extender).  Today, I unplugged the 2GHz extender device, and the Soundtouch app on the iPhone is seeing both speakers, without having to go through the 'set up' process on one of the speakers again.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  I don't want to give up my extender, since it works well for the TV sets in the house streaming, so it's not a permanent solution. Just trying to figure out what needs to be fixed in the Bose Soundtouch app so that it will work correctly on the iPhone.  That is where the real problem lays, in my opinion.  The customer should not have to shut off part of their home system to get the app to work correctly in connecting to the speakers. 

novajohn
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 24, 2016

All of my speakers (5) are wired with eithernet and I do not use any WiFi.  But I still have problems, on a daily basis, with no connection to speakers.  Or if I am connected to the speakers the volumn sliders do not work and I have to close the application, reopen it and hope it fines the speakers which only hapens infrequently.  Closing and opening the application several times eventually solves the problem. but I am sent back to the begining of the play list.

TommyV1967
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

I finally solved this by logging into my router’s settings and changing the security to wpa personal.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi TommyV1967,

Thanks for the post!  What was your security set to before the change?

Best,

Brandon

TommyV1967
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

I believe wpa2/wpa personal or none at all.
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for the info!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon

seabear
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

Replying to https://community.bose.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/31342

This was very helpful - thank you very much!!  I had a similar experience, and your post pointed me in the right direction. 

After some painful troubleshooting I came up with the below and am posting some notes here to hopefully to help someone else:

Things I learned:

I discovered each Bose Speaker & Sound Bar had two MAC addresses, why I'm not sure.  But to narrow down the connection(s), I did the below:

1.  Under Access Control - Wireless Settings on my router (Motorola Arris Surfboard SBG6782-AC wiress modem):

a)  On my 5 GHz band, I allowed only 1 of the MAC addresses for each Bose speaker/Soundbar, etc. and the MAC address for one (ie) Ipad.

FYI - our Fire TV is also on this band.

b)  Set MAC Restrict Mode to:  Allow

c:  On my 2 GHz band, I allowed only the MAC addresses for all the other devices on my network (a painful process, but worth the effort).

2.  Under Wireless 802.11 Radio, I set the 5 GHz to n only mode (our devices are compatible with this speed), and 2.4 GHz to b/g/n mode (older devices are on this network)

3.  I deleted the SoundTouch App on all devices except on one device (an IPad).  We now use that device to program the streaming music.

Advantage: Everything now syncs and streams well. iPad Sound Touch App seems to work consistenly. We use Amazon Prime stations and Pandora to stream music.  Both stations do time out after a couple of hours, but other than that, works fine, and I can group/ungroup the speakers easily or run separately.

Disadvantage:  If we have a new wireless device, I will need to add the MAC address manually into my router settings.

Fingers crossed.  Although this is a pretty good work around, I hope that Bose sees this and implements an update to fix the above.

Dale rupert
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

Both Apple and Android apps often cannot find my SoundTouch 10 stereo pair. Sometimes one app finds one of the speakers. Often neither app finds neither speaker. When I use an IPScan app on my iPod Touch, it always sees and displays both speakers on my network. If I use the IPScan app to Ping one or both of the speakers, then miraculously both the Android and Apple SoundTouch apps have now found both of my speakers and the stereo pair. I have these iOS and Android SoundTouch versions: interface 17.170.83, protocol 59, app 17.170.82. How many years have complaints of 'Bose app can't find my speakers' been posted? Many. How about having the App ping the last known IP address where the speakers were previously?  Otherwise I have to do it at least once every day. There's never a problem of the speakers finding and using my network. The problem is only with the apps not finding my speakers. I don't know if this is a solution for everyone, but so far it has worked for me. 

lasure
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

I have the same issue. I'm using 4 x Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapters on their own dediciated 2.4gh network (with their own router - nothing else acccesses it) connected to an imac playing an itunes playlist.

Nearly every morning I have to launch the ST app 3 or 4 times for the speakers to be found by the app yet if I go in my router's wifi page it shows all of them connected.

I then also get one or two of them drop off the app (as if it's disconnected) or the volume slider go to zero. I close and restart the app and they're working again. I know some of this may be down to the DHCP lease expiring so I'm going to try to assign the WLA's dedicated IP's although I don't know how to go about this yet....