seabear
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

Re: Soundtouch APP won't find speakers

lasure I believe you are correct!  Although I placed the MAC addresses specifically to a dedicated 2.4gh network or 5.4gh network, the app would still lose its connection.  Today I tried the fixed recommended by lasure and assigned a separate static IP to the sound bar 300 and deleted the dynamic IP (assigned to this speaker) in the router.  The app instantly worked for both of my speakers!  I then assigned a static IP for each speaker.  I can now access all the speakers via the app. I am on Xfinity, and Xfinity uses dynamic IP.  Perhaps the Bose App needs a dedicated IP to work.  Fingers crossed this may be the fix for a workaround. 

mattius
Leader
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

I tried this a few months back, it works for a period in time, however now i am back to normal and even with the speakers running on 2.4ghz and with static ip's.

Im still stumped why the speakers won't respond to SSDP requests, Bose refuse to comment on this, fundamentally that is why they won't show up in the app, why they don't, only Bose with the source code will know if they bothered to look.

seabear
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

Hello Brandon_M -

This seems to be a permanent fix!! 

Almost two weeks now with no disconnections - even after several days of non-use (fingers crossed).

Notes:

Our equipment: Router is Motorola Arris Surfboard SBG6782-AC. Wi-Fi is WPA2-Personal.

Our Soundbar 300 is connected to our TV via an optical cable (we did that because we did not have enough HMDI)

Note:  We have the app installed on my iMac and an IPad

1.  On the router 5GHz band, I have only allowed access for the Bose Soundbar and other speakers (via MAC address), and the IPad (i.e.) to that band. All other devices are disabled for 5GHz and allowed only on the 2.4GHz.

2.  On all devices (in the 5GHz band), I have assigned a static IP address for each device.  All other devices (on the 2.4 GHz) use dynamic IP.

The difference is amazingly fast.  I can connect and disconnect speakers easily.  Previously with other settings, Pandora would disconnect in a few minutes.  Now we can stream Amazon, Pandora without issues. Previously the soundbar would (constantly) search for a connection.  Now it stays connected, or connects immediately.  I can access the app easily on the iPad or my iMac, change stations, speaker connections, etc.

This is a great workaround, but may be too complicated for the average / beginning user for setup.  I have noticed still, even with this setup, that each speaker has two MAC addresses.  I don't understand why one device would have two MAC addresses, that may be the root of the problem with the app.  Hope this helps - please let me know if I can help further.

Dale rupert
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

I just got a speaker firmware update for my SoundTouch 10s - version 17.0.12.  Lo and behold, both my Apple and Android apps now quickly find both speakers. Hurray! (I hope it lasts.) Now if my Bluetooth connection would work better. It's really worthless as it is - skipping, jumping, cutting out, etc. Yes, I've read plenty of comments about that problem, but alas, I only have a 2.4 GHz modem, so the 5 GHz option doesn't exist for me. It would be great if Bose would fix that problem, too. They didn't tell me I'd need a new wifi modem to use a Bluetooth connection.  Who would have thought? 

mattius
Leader
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

@seabear Glad you found a solution that works for you, i wouldn't exactly call it a permanent fix though. Its something most home consumers wouldn't a) have the equipment to do b) have the skills to do. Above all else its not something anyone should have to do with an off the shelf consumer electronics product.

It is interesting though, i suspect it is working due to the isolated network rather than the static IP's though, would you be able to test that? might help Bose pinpoint the problem.

I have found that Apple devices work a lot better finding the speakers than both Android and Windows, not sure why that could be.

That is effectively the way SONOS works, by creating its own wireless network to communicate between speakers. Interestingly it seems the technology inside the Soundtouch is there to actually do this. If you note when you put the speaker in setup mode, it creates its own network to allow you to setup its WIFI, i wonder if Bose could re-design this to handle all communications between/with the speakers.

seabear
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

@mattius,

and including also from prior posts... @lasure, @Brandon_M, @novajohn@Dale rupert

Thank you for your question.  I had previously (without a static IP) isolated the soundbars to just my 2.4 GHz band and/or my 5.0 GHz band (and disallowed other devices from accessing specific bands) - and found that this did not solve the issue permanently (a few days later, the disconnects would occur).  In otherwords, just assigning to a specific band did not solve the issue.

However, when I isolated all Bose speakers to a specific band by one of their MAC addresses (either on a 2.4 GHz and/or 5.0 GHz) AND set a static IP AND disallowed other devices to access the band, then the app worked perfectly - and consistently, and can be accessed from multiple devices (iPhone, iMac, iPad).  Note - I still have two MAC addresses for all Bose equipment, but I have connected (on my 5.0 GHz band and static IPs) only one of the MAC addresses referenced in the about screen (of the device). 

I agree with you @mattius this is not an easy method for the casual user.  I hope this helps Bose in the right direction. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

It took me hours to get to this point, and I would really love to make this easier for other users.  Once the product is connected - it sounds awesome and I've been able to stream anything from Pandora, Amazon and other stations.

terry1967
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2016

I don’t usually comment on these forums as I am one of the consumers that mattius Wistfull Whiz refers to, but I have been following this, although my problem is slightly different, my mobile devices (iPhone 10 & iPad pro) seem to work fine but both my windows 10 Pc & Laptop I have to keep closing and opening the app until if finds all 4 of my soundtouch systems which is sometimes never.

And as mattius says this is not really something we should have to do, after all this equipment is not cheap.    

lasure
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

@mattius@Brandon_M, @novajohn@Dale rupert

I'm glad my suggesiton has helped. I finally got around to doing it myself two days ago (on a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 and Imac using 4 x Soundlink Adapters) and in terms of both finding the speakers on startup and maintaining a connection...so far, so good!

While this might just be beyond the tech realm of the most basic uf users, it literally took less than 4 minutes to assign the static IP's. Thankfully Netgear's router interface makes it painfully simple (you just have to log in to the router, go to the davanced tab on the landing page, then LAN setup, then add IP. It shows you all the devices connected, you clikc the little box on that device and just give it an IP. Really coudn't be easier).

However, yesterday after several hours of use, I found the system was down. I checked the bose soundtouch app and it was like it had been closed and opened again, and was "ready to play". All the speakers (adapters)  were connected and ready to go, so It seemed as if the soundtouch app just decided to restart itself.

From what i'm reading on here, it seems that the PC and Mac versions of the apps are not as robust as the android/ios versions.

I'm going to try a hardwired connection between the imac and the deciated router (being used for nothing nothing else than the Bose system) and if that doesn't fix it, then I may dig out an old ipad I have hanging around and use that as the itunes music library.....

Would love to hear from Bose tech support as to whether there is a known issue with the app restarting on OSX or if it's something else  - unless I'm wrong (?) DHCP shouldn't be an issue when the Imac and all WLA's have static IPs assigned......

mattius
Leader
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

I've found that the Ipad is far more likely to work than the android or windows apps (don't have an iphone to try that).

Can't really understand that one and not had a chance to check they are sending out the same request message.

Static IPs haven't really helped me, they helped for a bit then back to usual, neither has running the app from a wired connection.

seabear
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

@ and including also from prior posts... @lasure, @Brandon_M, @novajohn@Dale rupert

I've learned something since my post that might help all of you.  As I mentioned in a different post, the Sound Touch 300 (and other Bose speakers) each have two separate MAC addresses.  If you can get the app to come up 🙂 go into About, Settings for each speaker and copy down each MAC address.  What I did is DISALLOW all the Bose MAC addresses from accessing my 2.4 GHz band (i.e. I entered the two MAC addresses per speaker).  I have not disconnected since - almost 3 weeks now.  I caught this by mistake.  Before my change, I saw that one MAC address was on one band, and the 2nd MAC address for the same speaker were on separate bands. Now, both MAC addresses are on the same band with my adjusted router setting.

This is a guess, but it appears that having the MAC addresses on the same band allows communication with the app.  Why there are two MAC addresses per each speaker device, I still don't know.  @mattius can you help provide insight on why there are two MAC addresses for each speaker?

This may be a more simple workaround.  Hope this helps everyone...