Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

Soundtouch App feature request: audio source format info

Hi, I am currently testing a Soundtouch 300 together with my Setup. I need to know what audio format is currently received by the soundbar. Just like other soundbars or AVRs displays an info about the current format: stereo, DD, DTS etc. I think the Soundtouch has this info inside, because it needs to do the proper encoding. Please consider to display a short info in your app for users like me, who try to find the correct configuration of all the connected devices.

More background: I am not shure if my TV (55LM960V) has 5.1 passthrough over ARC from other HDMI inputs and since I have only the soundbar without the VI speakers it is hard to tell whats coming through only by the sound. Only if 5.1 passthrough is working I would buy the VI speakers as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Soundtouch App feature request: audio source format info

Author Accepted Answer selected by Eisenbert

HI Eisenbert

Glad to hear that LG was able to provide you the correct information.  There isn't a way of gathering the source info from the soundbar or app, but if the TV is able to pass 2.0 and 5.1 signals, the soundbar should be replicating exactly what the TV is getting from it's sources.  I think the best method would be to click the Info button while on the TV source to display what the TV is receiving.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hello Eisenbert.

Thanks for posting in the community!

The SoundTouch 300 is capable of handling Dolby Digital as well as DTS for external audio formats.  I was able to do a bit of research on the LG TVs, and it appears that through optical it can support up to 5.1 audio through this output.  With the HDMI ARC feature, it can actually support more than the traditional 5.1 speaker configuration.  With that said, it sounds like it is able to output true 5.1 through both outputs, and the VI300's should be able to receive the appropriate rear channel audio.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

Hi Tony, thank you very much for your answer!

I quite sure that the LG itself outputs 5.1 and more from internal sources (DVB-C receiver, Netflix, etc.), but I'm not sure about the external devices: My blueray player and the PS4 are connected directly to the TV via HDMI, so the TV has to manage the 5.1 passthrough to the soundbar. Do you have a source of information regarding the passthrough capability of the LG (there is nothing in the manual or specs).. or some other idea how to check if surround sound is received by the soundbar? As I said, a short info inside the soundtouch app would be ideal.

Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hello Eisenbert

Thanks for reaching back out!  I was able to find this information from LG's support site HERE.  It is a base line for all of LG's Smart TVs.  For exact confirmation about this specific model TV, I would recommend contacting LG support to confirm this.  

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

Hi Tony,

your link applies to LG TVs with WebOS, my model is pre-WebOS. But I asked some LG support guy as suggested. Regarding his information the TV should be able to passthrough 5.1 signals. Please let me know: Is there any chance that your develepment team adds the source info to the soundtouch app? I still think it would be very usefull!

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Eisenbert

HI Eisenbert

Glad to hear that LG was able to provide you the correct information.  There isn't a way of gathering the source info from the soundbar or app, but if the TV is able to pass 2.0 and 5.1 signals, the soundbar should be replicating exactly what the TV is getting from it's sources.  I think the best method would be to click the Info button while on the TV source to display what the TV is receiving.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

View solution in original post