Ffschassie
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2015

Soundtouch Cinemate Wi Fi adapter fails to access NAS files

I"m trying to stream music from my Seagate Personal Cloud NAS via Soundtouch, to my Cinemate 520.
To keep the contents current I've set up my iTunes library on the NAS for iTunes purposes.  iTunes on my Mac works fine from the NAS library.  
When I try to access the NAS from my Soundtouch app I can set it up OK and it allows me to play tracks from the library.  If I choose to set this up using iTunes this works fine but it requires my Mac to be awake.  But I dont want my Mac to be awake, so i choose to set up the music source as my NAS.  This works fine initially but, if go back later, I get error 1601 (cant access the music files).  If I go into my Seagate setup software I can see the DNLA service and this offers me the opportunity to re-index the NAS.  I do this and then the Soundtouch app can see my music files again.  But if I go away from this and come back later it fails again.  The only way I can get it to work is if I re-index the server via my Mac every time I want to use it.  I think I should be able to access my server music files without involving the Mac, but clearly this is not the case.  This cant be right!  What can I do to avoid having to re-index the NAS files via the Mac before attempting to access them via Soundtouch?
1 REPLY 1
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Soundtouch Cinemate Wi Fi adapter fails to access NAS files

Hello ffschassie,
We can certainly assist you with Seagate NAS drive today. I have a few questions which will assist us with isolating the issue you are experiencing:

1. What is the model number of the Seagate NAS drive?
  2. If you are using a Seagate GoFlex, there is a built in power-save feature, which means that GoFlex Home enters a standby state after 12 minutes of no activity. GoFlex Home automatically returns to active mode whenever someone on your network storage system accesses their folders and files. If you login to the NAS drive and check the settings, do you see any Power Save option that can be turned off? It certainly sounds like this is related to a power save feature if the issue is only occurring after letting the NAS drive sit for a little while.
  3. If turning off the power save does not work, when you go to add the Music Library into the SoundTouch application from the NAS drive, what options are listed there under NAS?
  4. There is typically an option in the NAS drive to "Share with Media Devices". Is that feature turned on at the moment? If not perform the following steps to enable that functionality.
    • Open Seagate Share and log in (see page 38).
    • Click Seagate Share. The Seagate Share page opens.
    • In the Content panel, move your mouse over the folder that contains the files you want, click the arrow that appears, then click Share with Media Devices.

Let us know if the above helps at all and we can take it from there.
Thank you for your time