Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Soundtouch Controllers (round hanging on the wall type)

I've decided to give a soundtouch 20 series iii a try for its bluetooth features.  In the settings section can't find the 'connect to soundtouch controller' button.  Are these no longer supported? Please advise?
Also what would happen if I upgraded my soundtouch wireless adapters to series ii on my lifestyle and cinemate systems for the benefit of bluetooth support - would they lose the ability to pair with my on-the-wall soundtouch controllers in these rooms?
This was a *huge* factor in our household in favor of the Bose soundtouch system.  The ability to control the system using discrete on the wall simple to use controllers.  
Would appreciate a quick response on this matter - if it is supported, how is pairing achieved?
Thanks, Avi
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Soundtouch Controllers (round hanging on the wall type)

Hi Avi,

The SoundTouch Controller has been discontinued. Much like AirPlay, these controllers will not be compatible to connect with the newest series of products, but will remain supported for all previous generations of SoundTouch hardware.

This does mean that the the Series II home theater adapters would not work with any extra SoundTouch Controllers you had connected as an accessory for the original adapters. You should absolutely consider this factor before changing that hardware out.

As we described to you in a different post, using a single Series III speaker for Bluetooth connection (Such as the ST 20II you have now)  would allow you to rebroadcast that signal to some or all of your existing products as-is. There is no large benefit to replacing those Home Theater adapters in this setup. Doing so would simply create multiple redundant Bluetooth inputs for the house.

Hope this clarifies. Thank you. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Thanks George for the explanation.  I would have appreciated it if Bose would have been more transparent on what they are retiring / discontinuing as a result of this new product line vs. us having to discover things piecemeal and by guesswork.
<rant>
If feedback is solicited (and it hasn't) then discontinuing the soundtouch controller is not cool at all.  It was one of the main considerations for us to pick the soundtouch series for our household.  While I appreciate you are supporting it, knowing that I just spent in the last month thousands of dollars on what just became legacy tech with retired features that I considered critical to my purchase decision, does not make me happy and I'd bet that it raises questions with other customers as well.
 The decisions to retire vs. replace with equivalent, better faster, cheaper, meaner capabilities such as an upgraded soundtouch controller baffle my mind and makes me want to have a long chat with your head of product engineering about customer satisfaction - this is by no means a reflection of your excellent customer service but rather a reflection on engineering practices and practicalities.
Also while I understand what you are saying about multiple redundant Bluetooth connection points, I have soem practical considerations here given the proximity requirements for Bluetooth vis-a-vis my wired LAN & Wifi setup.   The examples are obvious given I can walk from the kitchen (where the series iii is currently located) to the patio carrying my phone and have all the music in the house stop or stutter as I am out of range.  I have multiple systems throughout the floor plan and having redundant connection points allows me to connect to the one in closest range to myself.  Wifi communications between the devices (e.g. Airplay, Sonosnet and many others) rids one of the range to a single receiver and having multiple bluetooth connection points would be the equivalent of having multiple wifi access points.
In addition, there are the little things that I experience with the Bluetooth rebroadcasting such as every notification tone for email or text on my phone streaming through Bluetooth and sounding through all units in the entire house disturbing everyone's music enjoynment on a frequent basis.  I just think that these could have been thought through a bit better by your engineering team.
</rant>
George - I do thank you for your continued patience with me as I do care about the Bose brand having been a satisfied client for close to 25 years now and seeing every change you introduced over the years as a leap forward but not so sure about this one.
Thanks, Avi

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 15, 2015

I just bought a 30 Series III and my soundtouch controllers wond work with Series III components.  Now what sense does that make?  Bose makes what is arguably the coolest remote and then just two years later obsoletes it!  Meanwhile its loyal customers get screwed in the process.  This is a self-inflicted business wound.  Why would i want to upgrade to Series III if none of my controllers wont work?  I ought to not upgrade to Series III, send the one 30 Series III back and just shift to Sonos.  And the worst part of it is that no one in customer service could tell me why this was done.  Keep your front-line folks trained, Bose.  Now what?   
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Avi, 

We can definitely understand your frustration and we are glad for the feedback. Our product engineers do read this forum to understand what our users are saying. While they don't provide any direct response, it is still good that you express yourself here.

To another point: On most mobile phone you should be able to silence the notification/alert noises separately from adjusting the volume on your music. These settings should allow you to enjoy uninterrupted music while using the Bluetooth rebroadcast feature.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Thanks Jason & George for your endless patience with me and my rants - appreciate the clarifications and forgive the harsh tone as it comes from a loyal customer - to quote an old MIcrosoft joke: "While your response on product engineering monitoring these forums and being aware of our sentiment is absoultely accurate, it is of no use to us at all" - a response, a plan, a recourse (yes, sometime companies admit bad decisions and work hard to correct them even Apple did that a few times) would have been much more beneficial to your customers and overall brand.  
I am new to soundtouch but a very long time fan, customer and promoter of Bose products having stuck with you over all my nerdy friends pointing me to better multi-zone solutions out there.  
However, reading the sentiments posted on these forums over the past month and half since I upgraded my old Llifestyle 28 systems (3x) and several SA-3 amps in favor of Lifestyle 535 / Cinemate & Soundtouch, tells me that your product folks may have lost their way and this should signal those who are managing them on the long-term brand reputation impact and Net Promoter Score decline.  I can only hope that Bose improves its transparency and works hard on winning over frustrated clientele as some of the messages on these forum are pretty harsh.
Best Regards, 
Avi