JAMESTOWNLEY1
Registered since

Nov 6, 2014

Soundtouch Dropping of Network

Hi,
I have had my Lifestyle 535 with ST adapter for little over 3 weeks now. However the adapter is getting progressively worse at dropping of the Wi-Fi network. All other connections are fine laptop, sky (which is also wireless next to Bose, so not a signal strengh issue) I have reserved the IP and checked all router settings but no change.
I also have issues with the app coming up saying unable to searching for system even when it is switched on this can happen halfway through a song. Some times even less than 30 seconds into a song it can do this or just drop the network. When the screen shows no network the router is still shows the adapter as connected.
Sometimes the song will restart playing sometimes it will not altough it is showing as playing in the app.
One time when the searching for system came up I had to unlug the ST adapter from the Lifestyle system to get it to reconnect. I had previously tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on windows but this made no difference,
Can't help but think I may have a faulty ST adapter. Any help would be appreciated as when the system works its great but is starting to get very annoying keep dropping off. I wan't to add the Sereo JC series but am a little worried wth these issues.
6 REPLIES 6
Mike_Hyman
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Soundtouch Dropping of Network

Hello, JAMESTOWNLEY1,
I am sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty with your system.  It definitely should not keep dropping off your network.  There are a few things we should check though:

1. Do you only have one wireless network in your house?  Some routers are dual-band, meaning they broadcast two networks, one wireless-G and one wireless-N.  Does your router do this?  If so, you should make sure your devices stay on the wireless-G network.
  2. Is your router's wireless channel set to automatic?  If so, you should try manually setting it to channel 1 or 11 and see if performance improves.
  3. When the system drops off the network, does the status LED on the adapter begin flashing, or does it remain steady white?

Please let me know if this helps.  A faulty adapter isn't out of the question, but this could also be a router issue.  If you continue to have trouble, please respond with the make and model of your router as well.  Thank you.
JAMESTOWNLEY1
Registered since

Nov 6, 2014

Sometimes when the network is lost the adapter stays solid white then flashing white and then flashing amber before returning to solid white, other times it goes from solid white to flashing white then back to solid white but the song never continues playing. There is only the one wireless network in the house and I have tried changing channels but still the same issues, I also tried locating the router next to the ST adapter but still had issues. Router is Belkin F5D8635-4 V1.
JAMESTOWNLEY1
Registered since

Nov 6, 2014

Last time the system dropped off the app showing searching for system the ST adapter stayed solid white, before this it showed cannot play track. At this time the ST adapter was still showing as connected to the router. I tried accessing recents but this said cannot access library despite it being on the laptop I am using now.After 5 mins of this and nothing connected I used the reset on the ST adapter. After the reset the system connected straight away.
JAMESTOWNLEY1
Registered since

Nov 6, 2014

Here is the most recent event log from the router so you can see how often the ST adapter is dropping the network:
 Nov 15 00:20:17 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:20:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received DISCOVER
 Nov 15 00:20:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending OFFER of 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:20:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:20:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:20:40 localhost local0.info udhcpd: Timed out. Exiting
 Nov 15 00:21:00 localhost local0.info udhcpd: udhcpd (v0.9.9-pre) started
 Nov 15 00:26:00 localhost local0.info udhcpd: Timed out. Exiting
 Nov 15 00:26:17 localhost user.crit syslog: User from 192.168.2.2 login success !
 Nov 15 00:26:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: udhcpd (v0.9.9-pre) started
 Nov 15 00:33:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received DISCOVER
 Nov 15 00:33:18 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending OFFER of 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:33:19 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:33:19 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:33:50 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:33:50 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:34:08 localhost local0.info udhcpd: Timed out. Exiting
 Nov 15 00:34:20 localhost local0.info udhcpd: udhcpd (v0.9.9-pre) started
 Nov 15 00:34:20 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:34:20 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.2.8
 Nov 15 00:34:51 localhost local0.info udhcpd: received REQUEST
 Nov 15 00:34:51 localhost local0.info udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.2.8
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

​Hi James, 
Let's look a bit further into what could be causing these symptoms. Please let us know the following details.

1. Even though your Adapter should be getting very strong Wi-fi signal with its close proximity to the router, Let's check what it actually reports to see if there might be a discrepancy there. You can find the process for determining the Adapter's RSSI value here. Please let us know whether this reports "poor", "fair" "good" or "great"
  2. Check in your Belkin Router's wireless settings to see if you might have a very short DHCP lease time and extend this. Anytime the lease ends and the system's IP address needs to be renewed, it could cause this type of brief drop-out.
  3. Mike asked earlier about your router's wireless channel setting. Please let us know whether this is set to "Automatic" or something different.

Thank you.
JAMESTOWNLEY1
Registered since

Nov 6, 2014

Hi,
After about an hour and a half on the phone to technical support and changing of channels originally the router was on automatic but now manual and have also tried different channels with the same issue. RSSI shows fair.

I have a replacement ST adapter arriving tomorrow which I hope will resolve the issue. I will let you know once installed.