Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Soundtouch Wireless Adapter Series ii

Noticing the Soundtouch Wireless Adapter Series ii, I have a few questions that go beyond the high level generic FAQs on the Bose web site.  Would appreciate some guidance and responses:
For reference, I have Lifestyle 535 Series III, Cinemate 520, SA-4  - all with the previous version of the adapter as well as numerous soundtouch Series II 20/30 & portable units in the house.
1. By adding bluetooth on the Seriess ii adapter - would that allow rebroadcasting to also work from the lifestyle and cinemate series systems as play group leads?
2. Does rebroadcasting apply to any other inputs of these units as well as bluetooth?
3. Is the seriess ii adapter also compatbile with the SA-4 amp?
4. How about rebroadcasting from a soundtouch series iii back to other units.  George mentioned that this works for soundtouch series i & ii.  Does it also work rebroadcasting from a series iii to the lifestyle, cinemate & SA-4? If so, is it only if they have the series ii adapter or is that not required?
5. When streaming via bluetooth to a Series ii adapter which is attached to a lifestyle or a cinemate system - does the system automatically turn on and starts playing the music similar to the way airplay works on the soundtouch series ii units?
6. Is Aux wired signal from a soundtouch series iii also re-broadcast-able across the network?
Appreciate answers to all these questions as they will help me determine isf I go and upgrade the soundtouch adapters across all my systems or not - at $99+tax a pop, it ends up being a significant gamble without proper understanding of the capabilities of these units?
Thanks, Avi

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Soundtouch Wireless Adapter Series ii

HI Avi,

Thank you for your interest. We have provided answers to your specific questions in order below:

1. With the new adapter, you would be able to connect the audio output of your Bluetooth device (phone/Tablet) to play through the lifestyle system. This output from your device could then be rebroadcast to other SoundTouch products  (Not sure if we are understanding this question correctly. If not, feel free to rephrase it.)
  2. Only your Bluetooth device's audio output will be rebroadcast. This will not send audio from any other input on your system out to other products.
  3. The Lifestyle/Cinemate SoundTouch adapter is not Compatible with the SA-4. While the SA-4 adapters look cosmetically similar, they are actually two entirely different parts.
  4. To try to clarify on this: Bluetooth rebroadcast to your whole system only requires adding one of the new blue-tooth enabled products to your system. You could, for instance, purchase and connect a SoundTouch 10 to the network: 
    •  Your phone would connect by Bluetooth to the ST 10.
    • The ST10 would then be able to rebroadcast over your Wi-Fi to all of your existing products as they are now. (LS 535II, Cinemate 520, SA-4) No new adapters needed.
    • The only extra thing to consider is that your phone must remain within Bluetooth range (~30 ft) of the new speaker to maintain connection.
    • (this would all work roughly the same way if you were to replace the ST adapter on either your LS535 or your Cinemate with the new version instead of adding SoundTouch 10)

5. Bluetooth connection/playback alone will not wake a product automatically when it is turned off. You would need to turn the system on through the SoundTouch app.
  6. Aux inputs will not be rebroadcast. This feature works with Bluetooth input only.

The main take-away from all of this should be that you really only need to add one Bluetooth-enabled SoundTouch product from the new line to make Bluetooth accessible to your home.  There is no need to change out more than one adapter unless you want multiple places to connect your phone by Bluetooth.

Feel free to ask for any further clarification you need on the new products and how they interact. We're here to help!

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Thanks for the response.  A few things still remain unclear or non-functional the way they should:
1. Given bluetooth range and the need for the smartphone or tablet to be near it (30 feet), it is required for owners of houses where the systems are spread to have multiple soundtouch adapters upgraded.  In my case, I cannot have a family member being in the living room wanting to rebroadcast audio and run upstairs to a bedroom where the soundtouch system is.  This was not an issue with airplay where it runs over house-wide wifi but is an issue with bluetooth requiring me to upgrade all my adapters to the main systems so that people are in range in whatever room they are.
2. Airplay was also turning on the system automatically.  Not having this functionality in the bluetooth version is a hassle requre to flip between music streaming apps (say itunes playing apple music or google play) back and forth to the bose app to get it started - inconvenience and would not be an easy 'enhancement' to pass by my family members who always opt for ease-of-use
3. I understand that SA-4 wireless adapter is different than the LS / Cinemate adapter.  Are you planning to release a series II bluetooth enabled adapter for the SA-4 as well?  Again, much for the same reasons of proximity to the individual playing the music may not be where the latest and greatest soundtouch speakers are situated.  Many of us have a lot of 'legacy' investment and for the record I equipped our entire house with Soundtouch systems in the last 30 days 😞
4. would have been much better if you continued to support Airplay alongside bluetooth and brought them to feature parity with the ability to rebroadcast to multiple devices across wifi.  Sonos does full rebroadcasting of music over wifi inclusive of rebroadcasting wired aux input, why can't you?
I have been a Bose client for over 25 years now and always chose you for the right balance of quality and aesthetics over others and still think it was the right choice but I have to say when it comes to software features for what some of us would consider to be basic features of a multi-zone streaming system, you seem to be falling behind and from reading the forums I can see the sentiment is voiced by many
Thanks,
Avi

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Avi:  
To expand on our response in your other thread:
1) To clarify, Bluetooth rebroadcasting only requires on series III system in the setup. The Bluetooth enabled system would serve as the master and audio is sent to any other systems on the network through Wi-Fi. 
The Bluetooth range on our systems performs much better than at 30 feet. Of course environmental factors can impact range but we're seeing 50 - 75 feet in most scenarios. As long as the source device is connected to the master system through Bluetooth, the only limitation is the range of the Wi-Fi network. 
2) The series III systems behave as any other Bluetooth device and will be powered on and switched to the appropriate source when the connection is made. You do not need to initiate the connection from our app.  Switching between music sources when using Bluetooth does not require use of the app either. 
Bluetooth rebroadcasting needs to be selected from within our app but this functions in exactly the same manner as the "Play Everywhere" feature works now. 
3) The SA4 amplifier currently cannot be be upgraded with a new Bluetooth enabled adapter.  Keep in mind, as long as one Bluetooth system acts as the master, audio can be sent to any SoundTouch system regardless of which series it is. 
4) The ability to rebroadcast the AUX source is certainly something that's being looked into.  Unfortunately we don't have any information to share about the feature right now, but we'll keep you posted here.  
I appreciate your passion and feedback here and will certainly make sure it gets to the right people.  I hope this clarifies the functionality for you and if you have additional questions, feel free to reply. 
Thanks! 
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 31, 2015

Thanks, this chain is very useful. I have a some additional related questions please... I am considering getting a cinemate 120 or 130 and some ST10s,20s,30s for around the house
A) Can the cinemate 120 or 130 system broadcast the TV input to another room? Ie is the TV connection classed as 'Aux' (Ie not broadcastable) or is it optical or other?
B) I've never used AirPlay before but plan to with my soundtouch system - Can AirPlay connection be broadcast to all/any soundtouch speakers?
C) Does the soundtouch system work normally with the current wifi extenders I have set up? The sonos required a special sonos booster which i found a bit cheeky (that's why I am shopping around again)...
D) Are the cinemate 120 and 130 system AirPlay enabled?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Chirag,

We will try to answer your questions one by one:
A) Sources which connect to a Cinemate 120 system by a physical cable (HDMI, Optical, RCA, etc.) can only be played locally on that system. These cannot be sent to other rooms. Multi-speaker playback only works for Sources available in the SoundTouch app (Bluetooth, Spotify, Music library, etc.)
B) Current SoundTouch products do not support AirPlay. This was a feature on some legacy SoundTouch products, but is now discontinued. Even on older speakers, AirPlay connections from an iOS device are limited by Apple to only one destination at a time.
C) These systems are meant to run entirely on your existing home network hardware. We typically suggest that all speakers and devices be connected to the same Wi-Fi access point for best results. Wi-fi Extenders, repeaters etc. Can sometimes cause issues, but we also hear many instances of our customers having success using them. No additional wi-fi hardware from Bose is required however.
D) Neither of these products supports AirPlay. (See our answer to "B" above)