Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

Soundtouch controller display keeps cycling on & off

As described my SA4 circular controller's display keeps cycling on and off in most places I'd like to mount it. I can't figure out if it is the lighting or interference or what is making it do this. I can put in a cabinet next to the tv and is still cycles. Help!
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Re: Soundtouch controller display keeps cycling on & off

When you say "cycling" are you saying it's turning on and off or are you seeing something else?  It could be interference but that's an odd symptom if the display is going completely off.  
To be clear:  If you place the controller very close to the amplifier and SoundTouch adapter do you experience the same issue or no?  It's possible that the controller might be at the edge of it's range from the amplifier. 
How is the audio performance?  Do you notice any audio dropouts when this is happening? 
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

Hi Jason,
By "cycling" I mean the display in lighting up and going off as if the invisible man is waving his hand over it. Actually moving it further from the amp helps the problem go away. Only I don't want to mount the controller that far away from the TV (I am running the SA4 through a Bose GS series home theater which was a pretty nifty way of using that same system in my family room for the TV and for the soundtouch-just have to be careful with the volume on each).
Audio performance is fine. Not cutting out/in and the cycling happens whether or not the GS is on/off.
Is some kind of electrical interference making the controller cycle like this? The batteries run down very quickly....
Thanks.
Dan
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Dan,
If moving the controller away from the TV improves the issue, this really supports Jason's idea that interference may be our culprit here:

The controller's "hand waving" touchless wake-up is accomplished by built-in Infrared sensors which judge distance. However, since IR is a type of light it is possible that home lighting or other electronics in the local environment are causing repeated false-positives on these sensors. Any of the following have been known to cause erratic behavior with IR sensors:

• Excessive sunlight, fluorescent lighting or neon lighting in the area.
  • Close proximity to laptops and 3D TVs (3D sync is sometimes done by IR).
  • IR repeater systems (meant to carry remote signals between rooms or into cabinets etc.)
  • Light-adaptive TV's: Some newer TVs have a light detection feature that measures the ambient light in the room to automatically adjust contrast and brightness for a better picture, reduced energy consumption or to emit ambient light from behind the TV for reduced eye strain. For information on turning off these features, see the TV owner's guide 

An easy way to test whether a particular device is creating interference is to temporarily unplug it from power and see whether the controller's behavior improves. (Unplugging is necessary as some devices will continue to use their IR features even while off or in stand-by.)

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

Thanks for the prompt help. You guys have been great!
Dan
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 14, 2016

Hi.
I have the same problem. My controller is in my bathroom. without a tv, without neon lights or fluorescent and not even close to a window so sunlight isn't a problem.
Also, it's not close to the amp or the adapter. I know it's not too far because I can still use it and it's working.
When my controller is on a shelf or any other surface close to a wall, it keeps turning on and off.
Same thing happens in other rooms in the house.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Nonson,
If the same problem happens in an entirely different room then we can rule out interference. You mention that this seems to happen only when the controller is positioned close to a wall? If the symptom is entirely based on an environmental factor like proximity to a wall then this is likely still a matter of the IR sensors being triggered accidentally by a reflection from the wall. 
It is also possible that the controller itself is malfunctioning due to a hardware issue.  If we are misunderstanding what you wrote, and this happens at all times regardless of placement, please contact Bose support locally to talk about service for this controller.
You can find contact informathion at https://www.soundtouch.com/support
Thank you.