Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2017

Soundtouch group play not working

Hello I am hoping someone can help,  I have the Soundtouc 300 sound bar, several soundtouch 10 and one soundtouch 30 around the house.  I have connected them all to the network and can control them all individually from my phone, but when I select "play all" from the app,  only the speker that I used to begin the "play all feature actually produces sound.  The app says they are all connected and playing (the soundtouch 30 even displays the title of the song properly so I know i t is connected)  but the sound only comes from whichever system i used to begin the "play all".   What am I missing?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Soundtouch group play not working

Hi mountainwille,

Thank you for posting. Has this worked in the past without any issues? We suggested starting play all with the system that has the strongest signal strength. To check this in the SoundTouch applicaiton, go to "Settings", "About" screen and select each system to determine the best system to initiate Play All. What type of router do you have? If it is a dual band router, which band are the systems on?

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2017

I just purchased the system in December.  I had gotten it to work after the post by re-booting my router, but it didn't stay working.  Now, even rebooting the router, and or rebooting the speakers won't get them to work all at once.  They still work fine individually, and when i select play all, the app still says they are playing, but no sound comes from them (except for the one i began with)

Yes I have dual band router  - 4 of them appear to be on 5GHz but one of them is on 2.4GHz  The one with the strongest signal (right next to the router) that I try to control the others from is on 5GHz.

3 of them indicate great signal strength, the 2 furthest away indicate poor, but still work perfectly when played individually.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated, for the smal amount of time the system worked it is awesome, but I really would like to be able to play the same thing from all of the speakers at once.  (also even if I add them individually, I can't get more than one to play in a group)

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi mountainwille,

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry to hear that you are continuing to experience issues when grouping your SoundTouch speakers. Here are a few more steps we can try:

• If possible, connect at least one of your systems via Ethernet cable, and choose this as the primary speaker for grouping.
    • When playing multiple systems in sync with one another, the synchronization of audio across all systems is handled by the system that is selected first. Choosing a hardwired system first reduces the amount of data that would be communicated wirelessly when a wireless system is a host.

• You indicated that some of the speakers indicate a poor signal strength. More bandwidth is required for grouping/Play All, which may be why you notice that the speakers seem to work just fine when played by themselves only. If possible, I'd recommend moving these closer to your router. If this won't be possible, you may want to consider a Wi-Fi extender device or a powerline wireless adapter. 

• When possible, I'd recommend connecting other devices on your network by Ethernet. Especially video-streaming devices (e.g. Roku, Apple TV, Gaming Consoles, etc.). Devices that stream HD video put a lot of strain on your wireless bandwidth. Hardwiring devices like this will free up more bandwidth. 

• You mentioned that one of the systems is on your 2.4GHz network. Is this a series I or II SoundTouch system? If not, try moving it to the 5Ghz network, along with your other SoundTouch systems. 5Ghz tends to be less susceptible to wireless interference. 

Let us know if any of these steps help!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support