bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Soundtouch multiple speakers cannot play all via app on Airplay.

Ever since the update to the app for today I cannot play all using the app and airplay.  I have one bluetooth speaker that I can broadcast to all my wireless speakers via the app.  I like using wifi better than bluetooth and now with the update I cannot.  Before the update it worked great, but now the play all button stays greyed out.  Is this a bug or is it how the app will be from now on?  If it is a permanent change, that it very disapointing.  Anyone else expirence this issue after the latest update for Alexa?
27 REPLIES 27
magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Re: Soundtouch multiple speakers cannot play all via app on Airplay.

I have just updated the Soudtouch app on my MAC to 18.1.4 and now I have the same problem ! I was using my Soudtouch 20 to play music from Apple iTunes via AirPlay and thren using the app to 'PLAY ALL' so it would broadcast to my Soundtouch 10 - since the update the 'PLAY ALL' button is greyed out and when I try to add the Soundtouch 10 to the Soundtouch 20 group it says 'Other speakers can only join if your listening to a source that allows broadcast'

I bought the Soudtouch 10 for this function and now it doesnt work - yesterday was fine ! What is your ongoing policy towards supporting Apple Air Play ? Will this function come back ?

magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Is it possible to download the older version of SoundTouch App 17.170 until this issue is fixed ? I cant find any previous downloads on your website - I notice that the firmware on the Speakers has not been updated is there a compatibility issue between the App software and the Speaker firmware ?

bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

I emailed Bose support yesterday morning when I realized this. I have not heard from them yet, but I will let you know what that say.
Highlighted
bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Still no email.  However, i called Bose and spent almost 2 hours with them troubleshooting.  Ended up talking to a supervisor which he blamed Apple's Airplay updates for the Homepod.  He said that the update did nothing to limit the Airplay fiuntion.  If that is the case then why does it not work only after the update?  He just said it was a coincadence.  Stated that Bose really no longer support's Airplay (which I already know).  He said he would pass this isuue up to the people that work with this product and they may or may not push out an update to fix this.  If this is not fix I will be really disapointed and probably wont be buying anything Bose in the future.  I liked bose when I first started buying items but it seems like more and more they are making decisions with their products or software that does not benefit the consumer.

magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Thank you bballman360 for your work and updates to this post. In computing there is 'NO coincadence' it either works or it doesn't and with the new update Bose broke the ability for a Bose Airplay speaker to broadcast to another Bose speaker over WiFi using Airplay - I guess well have to see if they implement Airplay 2 or just push users to the inferior use of Bluetooth - their Soundtouch interface will never meet the quality of iTunes (which is where I keep my Music library) and is still pretty clunky.

I have managed to get both speakers working in Sync by playing my music to the Soundtouch 10 over Bluetooth and then using 'Play All' to connect to the Soundtouch 20 over WiFi but obviously the iTunes machine needs to be near to the Bluetooth speaker and it doesnt give all the Display information on the Soudtouch 20. I've had a few Bose speakers in the past (Dock and Soundtouch) but will also consider other speakers in the future its a shame (and probably to Bose's detriment) that they have decide on this approach.

Hi bballman360 and magodwin,

Thank you for your posts. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been experiencing. First, I'd like to clarify a few things about AirPlay. 

1. The SoundTouch 10 does not support AirPlay, and cannot be connected to via AirPlay for just a single speaker, or multiple speakers. 
  2. AirPlay to multiple speakers needs to be initiated within iTunes on a computer. Using multiple speakers via AirPlay is not possible using the SoundTouch app. Grouping and using the Play All feature for your iTunes Music library within the SoundTouch app is different and is not actually using AirPlay. For more information on AirPlay, please see this article by Apple. 
  3. If you haven't already, I'd recommend adding your iTunes library within the SoundTouch app. The instructions can be found HERE. As long as your computer is on, you will be able to access your library within the SoundTouch app, and use the grouping/Play All features for all of your SoundTouch products (this uses SoundTouch instead of AirPlay. SoundTouch also uses Wi-Fi.). 

Please let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Brain,

I appreciate your help, but it does not add anything of value to the issue.  I was able to play all via the app before the update this past week.  I know the SoundTouch 10 does not support airplay but before the update I was able to airplay to my portable or my 30 and then play all using the app.  After the update this option is grayed out.  As far as adding my music to the App itself, I have tried that and do not like the results.  Not only does my computer always have to be on, the app completley misorganizes my music. Itunes by far is the best at keeping this all organized.  Right now I have to play my itunes to my 10 via Bluetooth and then play all that way.  If the play all featue was turned off for whatever reason by Bose for Airplay all I want is to Bose to recoginze that.  Otherwise, I am holding out hope it may be fixed in the near future.  Playing all via Airplay is how I mostly used all three speakers when I wanted to have  music throughout my house.  Now I have to use Bluetooth which I do not like as much.  I bought the speakers expecting one result (not to mention that a Bose sales rep told me this was a possibility) and now after spending good money on all three speakers I do not get that result.  If this is easy fix on the app side please look into fixing this as it is almost a deal breaker for me with this system.  The fact that I am getting different answers from different Bose employees speaks volumes.  I beleive the last update inadverntently broke that feature and I hope it gets fixed in the future.

Hi bballman360,

Thanks for the follow-up.  Play All with Airplay has never been available on the SoundTouch platform, as it is a limitation of Apple's Airplay protocol.  The only way to airplay to multiple speakers is to use iTunes on a computer and select multiple speakers.

Your best bet to play your music from iTunes to all of your speakers would be using Bluetooth to the SoundTouch 10, then using Play All to the rest of your SoundTouch speakers.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

At this point I feel like this is a lost cause.  I keep saying that before the update it was available to play all via the soundtouch app regardless if you were on the phone or a computer.  I played all 3 of my speakers via airplay to one with the app.  After the update that option is now grayed out.  Saying it was never available is either a flat out lie or Bose did not even know this was a possiblity.  I just want this feature back as it was how I listened to music on all 3 of my speakers at the same time.