magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Re: Soundtouch multiple speakers cannot play all via app on Airplay.

Hello Brandon,

In reply to your response "Play All with Airplay has never been available on the SoundTouch platform, as it is a limitation of Apple's Airplay protocol. " I can confirm that prior to the lastest SoundTouch App update 18.1.14 the Play All function did work.

I have a SoundTouch 20 Series I and a new SoundTouch 10 - I played my music from iTunes connected to the SoundTouch 20 via AirPlay and the used the SoundTouch App 'Play All' button associated to the SoundTouch 20 to play synchronised to the SoundTouch 10 - this worked fine.

As I mentioned previously if you can email us a link to the SoundTouch App 17.170 this will fix both our problems ! I know you don't publish older versions of the software but I am willing to install and test this for you. In the future I will NOT update via the app but download the software so I will keep a copy of the older version so I can revert back, BUT have been updating SoudTouch App via the application for years now and all has been fine. I note the firmware for the speakers was NOT updated with the app version 18.1.14

I agree with bballman360 that the sound quality via Bluetooth is appalling - I mean its really bad compared to WiFi

many thanks

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the post.

Airplay to all systems via "Play All" has never been available during the lifetime of SoundTouch.  This is a limitation set by Apple.  The only way to Airplay to multiple speakers is to use iTunes on a PC/Mac, and select Multiple Speakers.  If for some reason this does work on your ecosystem (which would be the first time I've seen this in my five years on the SoundTouch project) then it is something that is not supported by us, and not allowed by Apple.

If you're finding Bluetooth quality is low, you may be able to change the bitrate of the audio that is sent by your phone.  I know in my Google Pixel XL I can change the Bluetooth bitrate in the Developers settings.  Are you able to access those?

Thanks,

Brandon - Bose Support

Bram
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Hi all,

I have the exact same setup (SoundTouch 20 play all to use my SoundTouch 10 paired) which worked perfectly and recently experiencing the exact same problem. Therefore confirming magodwin's statement.

Hi Brandon, 

Is there a way to rollback to previous version of the app? Are these available on the site? A few months ago the app was causing an issue with a delay between sound and picture, which got resolved, now this.. 

Thank you!

Bram

bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

At this point I’m just done even trying. I’m hoping this is fixed in the near future. I keep saying it was a possibility before the update with the app. However, I only get responses saying it never was and to use Bluetooth. That is incorrect information and misleading. It WAS available via the SoundTouch app but now it is broken.
magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Brandon, thank you for your reply; although this does not really move us forward does it ?

I now ask you for a 3rd time ! Can you please send us a link to the install package for SoundTouch App 17.170 MAC OS X so that I can rollback my software to where it was last week so that I can test this out. Again I know you dont publish old versions of the software but at the moment I can see this as the only way forward, your help would be appreciated. Again please note my Soundtouch firmware is still at 17.0.12 for both my speakers (ie the firmware was NOT updated when the software was updated last week) - All I want to do is rollback the current update, I dont think this is too much to ask.

many thanks

Regards Mark

Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

It *is* a lost cause - it’s pointless talking to Bose as they don’t have much of a clue about writing software...

You are 100% correct - before the last update it certainly was possible to select ‘Play All’ from an Airplay source, I was delighted to find this out by accident a few months back.

You could not simply add any additional speaker to the device playing via Airplay but you *could* hit the ‘Play All’ button and the Airplay source streamed to all your ST devices.

This was obviously a mistake by Bose, a bug that they eliminated with the last update.

Now the ‘Play All’ button is greyed out - pity that Bose found out about this eh... 😞

Very sad that it was eventually found, that’s why I never mentioned it here, I knew once that Bose found out about this very useful bug it would be taken away from us...

So now we have to wait until the official release of Airplay 2 which could be months away as even Apple can’t get it sorted so what chance do Bose have... I suspect it will never happen with our current ST models but *may* miraculously happen in a new ST model, or am I being cynical... 😞

Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

There is no way that Bose will let you get your hands on the previous release as the bug that allowed ‘Play all’ From an AirPlay source is actually against the licensing rules of Apple, it should never have happened and the bug is now fixed so it cannot happen again...

forget it - Bose wouldn’t normally allow going back to older firmware and they are certainly not going to let AIrplay streaming to multiple ST’s back out of the bag...

Highlighted
bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Ok thank you for the update. You have added way more than what Bose has added to the conversation. All I want at this point it to Bose acknowledge that it was not supposed to be in the app and it was a glitch. After the update they fixed the the glitch and it does not work. It would go a long way if they came out and said that. I wouldn’t hold my breath though, as they blamed Apple for it not working anymore when I called support.
Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Brandon and other official spokes=people here obviously didn’t know the bug existed, they are not kept up to date by the 12yr old software guru hidden in the back room...

no offence to Brandon, I really feel he has one of the hardest jobs in the world - trying to keep the peace here when there are hundreds of angry Bose ST owners that are sick to death of being fobbed off about promised features that NEVER happen...

How disappointing to find that one promised feature that DID happen was actually a bug that should never have happened in the first place 😞

magodwin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Thanks for your update and input - interesting insight into the world of Bose software development and most helpful