Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

Speaker disappeared from windows 10

I have read through many posts and unfortunately none of the suggested solutions helped. I am having 2 issues, the first issue is the larger one as my soundtouch 300(currently my only ST speaker) has disappeared from my desktop app.  When I originally set it up around Christmas time it worked perfectly, I don't often use my PC to control it so I am unsure when it disappeared.  So far I have tried:

Disabling windows firewall

Disabling AdAware

Making sure an exception was made for Windows firewall

Making sure the speaker and PC were on the same network(I have a wifi extender)

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app

disconnecting and Reconnecting the speaker to wifi

Multiple restarts

I have confirmed with multiple iphones that the speaker works and is connected

I have not tried plugging the speaker directly into the PC because placement makes this difficult

This may or may not be related to my other issue of my itunes library missing a podcast.. the weird thing is I have 2 episodes of the same podcast and one appears and one does not.  Things I have tried so far:

Making sure both are actually downloaded to PC

Close and restart itunes

Close and restart soundtouch app

close and restart soundtouch media server(mine doesn't show up in the taskbar like some have mentioned theirs does)

Restart PC/restart speaker/restart iphone app

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ryan

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Speaker disappeared from windows 10

Hi Ryan, 

Thank you for the post and all of the detail you have provided. Did you install Ad-aware on your PC around the time when it stopped detecting the SoundTouch 300? We have seen issues with Ad-aware preventing communication to our systems even if it is disabled but still installed. 

Can the missing podcast be played normally in iTunes? What is the file extension for the podcast that is missing? If the file is .m4b, the file extension must be changed to .m4a to work. To do this:

1. Locate the audio file. Unless it's been manually changed, the location is /Users/[username]/Music/iTunes/
  2. Click into the file name 
  3. Change the file extension to "m4a"
  4. Re-add the files to iTunes
  5. Once added, change the "Media Kind" to "Music"
    • Right click the file
    • Click "Options"
    • Change the the "media kind" to "Music"
  6. Wait up to 15 minutes for the music library to automatically sync.

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

Brent,

Thanks for your reply, I apologize for the delay as I have been traveling. I have had Ad-Aware for quite some time but I believe it did have a recent update.  I was sure I tried this before but I just disabled Ad-Aware and the speaker was found... do you know how to make the speaker accessible while it runs?  

I listened to the podcast via other means so it has since disappeared from my library all together, I will try your suggestions the next time I have issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Ryan, 

If adding in exceptions for our app didn't work, my best advice would be to reach out to Ad-aware and see if they are aware of this or can help. Any information you find would be great to share here in an effort to help future users that may come across this issue.  Their contact information is HERE

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

After some searching to even logically add an exception I switched anti-virus providers and it seems to work well now.

Thanks,

Ryan