GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Speakers continually resetting, crashing or unresponsive

For the past few weeks I have experienced loss of connectivity and severe performance issues with my Bose Soundtouch set up.

My set up: Soundtouch 20; 2x soundtouch 10s; 2x Soundlink (all working perfectly together at home for 3+ years). I have made no changes to NAS drive, Router or phones used to control.

Issue: I've had a variety of problems - speakers are "online" and then a few seconds into play they lose sync with my phone (the phone is "searching" for the speaker) - the speaker may or may not keep playing; if it does, it keeps playing autonomously and can no longer be stopped or controlled (not even on the device itself - the buttons are unresponsive including trying to hold (- and 1 together ) for 10 secs for a hard reset), if it doesn't, it will crash and reboot. Where things are working, at times (sometimes all the time when it is working) the responsiveness of the controls is very, very poor - e.g. You change the volume (on phone or on the device itself) and perhaps 30 seconds later it follows your command. Usually though it does not follow your command, it crashes and reboots (showing the progress bar on the soundtouch 20; showing the flashing lights sequence on the 10s and on the soundlink). Sometimes this happens after a short delay - e.g. The app erroneously shows the volume having been turned up or down (the speaker volume is unchanged), and then a few seconds later the app reverts the volume slider back to its original position on the slider, greys out the interface (so no further changes can be made), and then either plays on autonomously (if it does this it will play on forever and needs to be unplugged from the wall!) or crashes/reboots. This happens playing radio on TuneIn, playing Amazon music, and playing NAS drive music library, if I get that far. Sometimes it crashes before I make my selection! My soundtouch 20 (apart from the clock no longer showing when the app suggests it should) is relatively alright (it crashes every day or so) - the 10s and the soundlinks however are effectively unusable - no more than 10 seconds or so of music is possible before crash and reboot. Where things do work (i.e. If it gets over the first 10 secs), it's a lottery how long the speaker will play for, but usually if it's "working" it will play autonomously until I try to do something - open the app, change the volume (via device or remote), change the song, etc - and then it will crash and reboot (sometimes just the relevant speaker - sometimes the entire system).

Error codes: 2016, 1046, 1608, 1601, 1046, 1036, 4004/0. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

​

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marty K.
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Re: Speakers continually resetting, crashing or unresponsive

Author Accepted Answer selected by GraPH

Many posters have had similar problems recently with the speakers being unresponsive, dropping off of the network, rebooting for seemingly no reason (progress bar on ST20/30, blinking LED's on ST10).

The solution for me was this procedure:

a) in the app, remove all speakers from your account, one by one

b) factory reset all speakers (volume down and the 1 button for 10 seconds)

c) in the app, log out of your account

d) in the app, create a new account with different email

e) add the speakers back in the app, one by one

f) add back all your music sources (Spotify, Pandora, etc.)

g) set up your presets again

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

(apologies my original post was cut in half)

What I have tried: Initially turning everything off and on again (!). Then resetting router and NAS, and forcing update (by pressing - and 2 together) on all my speakers even though they were already up to date (24.0.7), then trying to force update on speakers via USB, then deleting and reinstalling the iphone app, removing and re-adding speakers. When speakers were removed, often they could not be re-added (I usually got to the step where the speaker is assigned a name, and the system either crashes entirely (reboot etc) or I get a "something went wrong" message telling me to try again). Then I removed all speakers, reset them all, deleted the app, reinstalled the app, and added back the speakers. This seemed to work for a day or so, but the errors/reboots/crashes have returned.

Given the amount of updating/resetting it seems very unlikely this is a problem with my NAS or router (both working fine, and working fine with this system until recently) but a problem with either the bose app or the bose server (probably the latter, since the system crashes even where the iphone app isn't involved - i.e. Where I turn on the speaker directly) - I'm really at a loss what more I can do, views gratefully received.

Jessie_O

Hi @GraPH

Thank you so much for your post and the amount of detail you have gone into. This is really helpful. 

Can you tell me which SoundLink speakers you are referring to as our SoundLink range does not typically connect to the WiFi?

Can you tell me if you have tried another device with the SoundTouch app installed?

Are you using the app or Airplay?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Hi

Apologies - I mean the “Bose SoundTouch wireless link adapter”

I have the app on 2x iPhones and one iPad and get the same issues

and I’m using the app

sorry for not providing this first time! 

Jessie_O

Thank you for confirming this, @GraPH

You have already tried a lot of the troubleshooting we would normally recommend, thank you for trying them!

The only thing I can this to try is to look at your router settings and check to see if they are in line with what we recommend:

UPnP: Enable

Multicast: Enable

IGMP: Enable

Wireless Isolation: Disable

IGMP Proxy: Disable

IGMP Snooping: Disable

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode: Mixed or B/G/N

Stealth mode: Disable

MAC Filtering/Access Control: Disable, or add the Bose system MAC address to the allowed devices list

WPS: Disable

WAN IP Blocking: Disable

Recommended router settings for Bose product performance

Wireless channel: Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended Standard Wi-Fi uses 11 channels. Selecting the best channel might require trial and error. Choose channel 1 or 11 and observe the system to see if performance improves. If it does not, try the other channels until performance does improve

Security type: WPA-2(PSK) 

WMM: Disable 

Dual-Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) SSID: Name both differently. Give the networks distinct names. If your networks have the same name, products on the networks might not know the difference with the identical names. This can cause them to be intermittent.

Let me know how it goes!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Hi

yes I believe my router has those recommended settings - as I say also in my original post, until the past month the system has been working for 3+ years with the same router and same settings - I haven’t changed anything

i should say now nearly 100% of the time when I open the app I get the 4004/0 error suggesting there has been a problem with the update. This is new, previously I would get that error only occasionally

as I say above I have ensured all speakers are up to date, including forced update holding the buttons and updating via USB

i wonder is there a way I can intentionally go back to a previous software version? If it is the recent update it has rendered my kit practically unusable 

thank you once again

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to me, @GraPH

I can appreciate that you have not had these issues before, however, we cannot rule out a change in settings for your internet service provider so I would recommend checking. 

I can see you have forced the update on your speakers but you have mentioned an incorrect button combination. To force the update you need to press and hold the 4 and vol - for 10 seconds. 

Let me know if this helps at all.

GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Thanks again

I have looked, and for the settings I can find they do match your suggested ones (I couldn't find all of them even in advanced settings).

The situation has not improved and in some cases new errors are now creeping in - e.g. yesterday I finally got one speaker to work and play from the NAS drive for a few mins, whilst another speaker insisted "we can't find your music library, make sure your computer or NAS drive is on and not in sleep mode (1608)" even though the NAS was playing through one of the other speakers at the time!

And yes apologies for typo regarding the button combinations.

Can I revert to an old software version in order to check my suspicion it is the latest Bose update (24.0.7)?

GraPH
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Hi

just another update as I hadn’t noticed this before. On the SoundTouch 20 I managed to get the NAS drive to play for a bit and after a while it came up on the device saying “SoundTouch music server not available” and the music stopped. When I tried to restart, it crashed/rebooted

i was playing music through the NAS drive at the time. 

Marty K.
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by GraPH

Many posters have had similar problems recently with the speakers being unresponsive, dropping off of the network, rebooting for seemingly no reason (progress bar on ST20/30, blinking LED's on ST10).

The solution for me was this procedure:

a) in the app, remove all speakers from your account, one by one

b) factory reset all speakers (volume down and the 1 button for 10 seconds)

c) in the app, log out of your account

d) in the app, create a new account with different email

e) add the speakers back in the app, one by one

f) add back all your music sources (Spotify, Pandora, etc.)

g) set up your presets again

View solution in original post