cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Static IP? Will that help the SoundTouch app connect with speakers?

Hi everyone,

I've made several posts about this recently (for which I apologize), but I've had moments where the speakers are working and (more) moments where they aren't.

I read about where someone went in through their router and gave the speakers static IP addresses. Is this a common fix to this issue? Would static IPs help the app keep track of the speakers on the network?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

4 REPLIES 4
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Static IP? Will that help the SoundTouch app connect with speakers?

Hi Sean, 

How often are you experiencing drop outs? If they are regular and timed with the length of the IP address that your router is giving out, either lengthening the time or setting a static IP could help. For example, if your router has a DHCP lease time of 1 day and every day you notice this issue, lengthening this to say 4 months could certainly help.  If the issue happens more sporadic and not as timed, then something else could be causing this. What is the make and model of your router? If your router has one, could you try disabling the WMM setting and see if that helps? Could you possibly try setting your router on a fixed channel like 1 to see if that helps? Are you connected to your 2.4 or 5 GHz band? Is the name for both networks the same? If so, can you change one slightly?

Does the issue present itself where the app can no longer see the speakers or that they just won't play? What speakers do you have? Can you check your signal strength HERE and see if they have "poor" or "fair" signal?

Thank you 

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the reply.

Okay... here's where I'm at:

Yesterday, I setup a new network on the 5G band of my router and just called it "Bose-5G". The only things I connected to it were my SoundTouch speakers. So far, I'm seeing a lot of improvement from this. Most of the time, when I launch the app, I see that all of my speakers are there, ready to play, and I haven't seen much of the "Give us a minute to find your speaker", except for this morning, when they were all unavailable. But I quickly realized that my phone had switched back to the 2.4 band network, as it's more powerful throughout the house.

So now my issue is that the speakers are unfortunately receiving a poor signal and they have cut out or dropped altogether a couple times since I've made this change. However, I still think it's a step forward as I now have basic functionality within the app.

I want to try strengthening my network however, so that hopefully I don't need to utilize both bands independently, but rather, can just be on one network at all times.

Do you happen to know if people are successfully using eero or something like that with SoundTouch in their home networks?

Thanks again,

Sean

grk999
Collaborator
Registered since

May 12, 2015

So I have tried static IPs in the past (on the router), which is a bit misleading I think. I believe (help out here everyone) that you can only set a true static IP on the device itself. STs dont allow that. I have set the lease renewal period globally to 21 days. None of it made mucg difference or if it did it was only temporary.

I have a mixture of wireless and wired via powerline and I cant guarantee consistent performance.

The new app and current version seems particularly poor at picking up on WiFi signal. Other apps on my phone do just fine. I htink this is also linked to dropout issues. 

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Sean, 

The 5 GHz band will help eliminate interference but unfortunately doesn't have the same range as 2.4 GHz. We've heard from many users who have had success using repeaters to lengthen the reach of their network. We recommend using a device that can be set up as a "repeater" so that the system sees the extension as 1 seamless network. Personally I haven't spoke to anyone using an Eero but they are supposed to be very powerful. I'd be very interested in hearing a user's take and if they can get it to work with SoundTouch. 

Hi grk999, 

Can you elaborate a little further with how often you experience these dropout issues? What system do you have? Have you always experienced issues? Have they just gotten worse with the latest update? What is the make and model of your router? Are you connected to a 2.4 or 5 GHz network? Do your systems work normally when connected via Ethernet?

Thank you