Darians86
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 12, 2019

Steer clear of the Soundtouch 300 and its accompanying products

To all those out there interested in a connected speaker system, I urge you to consider alternatives to Bose and in particular the SoundTouch 300.  I bought this product a couple of years ago in hopes of all that it promised to be: a connected speaker system to take on Sonos from a company I thought was a better brand.  That has proven to be a complete lie.  Facts that support my view:

• If you’re an Apple user, you could have had AirPlay when you bought the product only to find out that support was removed shortly after release.  Oh, but what about AirPlay 2?  Isn’t that coming soon?  Well, it was announced in June 2018 to be released by the end of 2018.  They’re now saying April 2019.  Based on Bose’s track record, don’t expect it to happen anytime soon
  • Apple Music user?  You’ve been promised Apple Music compatibility for nearly two years.  I hope you weren’t holding your breath.  There remains no timeline for this
  • How about the 5.1 potential with the Acoustimass 300 and the Virtually Invisible 300 speakers?  Suffice it to say that they’re spotty at best.  The subwoofer will randomly go into fits where it will burp and bubble inconsistent with what may be coming from the soundbar.  The Virtually Invisible 300 speakers don’t seem to always connect either.  You spend nearly $2,000 for the whole system and get significantly less value than that
  • Want to play music through the Bose SoundTouch app?  Good luck.  The speaker will show up as working about 50% of the time if you’re lucky
  • AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF... If you want to expand your speaker system, then good luck to you now.  The latest and greatest from Bose is no longer compatible.  In what is possibly the most consumer-offsensive move possible, Bose recently released a new line of speakers that is nearly IDENTICAL in form and substance to the SoundTouch 300 with the only addition of a microphone.  It includes features that will not come to the SoundTouch 300 and it has new expandable speaker system that is INCOMPATIBLE with SoundTouch though it seems to be functionally the same

All-in-all, I am incredibly dissatisfied with this product.  As someone who has owned other Bose products in the past and liked them,  I’ve made the conscious decision to longer buy or support Bose products in any way.  I think others should do the same.  The company has chosen to be consumer-unfriendly and they do not deserve anyone’s business.

4 REPLIES 4
David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Re: Steer clear of the Soundtouch 300 and its accompanying products

Not everyone has the same opinion as you.

I have a Soundtouch 300 which is used almost everyday and considering to get another one.

if you read the previous comments they suggest Airplay is essential (it is not) if like me you connected a Mac Mini to the HDMI in port (which the Soundbar 700 does not have) this works very well. If really want airplay find an Airport Express (if you still can).

as for Apple Music, you can always play from the Mac or send via Bluetooth or use Spotify instead which I do.

Ok I admit I did not get the Subwoofer but I do not need it.

i wonder why there are so many people listed as starters who say bad things about the products.

Hi Darians86,

I'm sorry to hear about the experiences you've had with your SoundTouch systems.  

We would be more than happy to assist you with troubleshooting to get your systems into a consistent working order.

Please let us know if you would like us to help out.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Bigdan007
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

I have the full set up, I personally think it's awesome! The 5.1 is brilliant from sky q, brilliant from Netflix and really good from apple TV. Only one problem I've had is it drops sound from apple TV now n then, but I have a feeling this is a problem with my TV and apple TV as the source and Dolby vision keep popping up on the TV. This system is also brilliant with music! All in all a great product from Bose!
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Darians86 wrote:

To all those out there interested in a connected speaker system, I urge you to consider alternatives to Bose and in particular the SoundTouch 300.  I bought this product a couple of years ago in hopes of all that it promised to be: a connected speaker system to take on Sonos from a company I thought was a better brand.  That has proven to be a complete lie.  Facts that support my view:

While I respect the time you have taken to put together a detailed post and the fact the SoundTouch 300 has come up short for you, I and many others don’t share your view point on the Bose SoundTouch 300 and Bose in general.

I don’t own that particular model but I have three SoundTouch speakers including a Cinemate 130 and Solos speakers. All are connected to Apple using either Airport Express or Apple TV. I dare say SoundTouch does as good a job if not better in “Play All” than “AirPlay 2”. While Airplay has been elusive on Bose products Airplay has always been aviaible using Apple adaptors.

The best east thing about Bose speakers is they sound really good and certainly better than Yamaha and Sonos in my experience.

I am told by industry pros that network connected speakers is no easy feat. SoundTouch and now Bose Smart Home is probably as good and bad and magical and frustrating as the rest of them. 

I urge to work with Bose, users in this forum and Apple and get the max out of your gear.