g25
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

Suggestion - Bose Music Hub

Hi everyone,

I was wondering with the recent Smart Home vs SoundTouch debate, I much prefer the design and sound of the SoundTouch line but it's frustrating that no new features or services are being added. 

The reason seems to be that SoundTouch doesn't have the memory to support new services, in which case would it not make sense to release a Bose Music Hub box? 

The Music Hub could be a small box, much like an Apple TV that houses all the 'smart technology' to support a wide range of services and could provide a Wifi Hotspot (mesh to more Hubs) for the SoundTouch speakers and Smart Home speakers. This would allow both to be integrated and allow additional services to be provided to both lines without having to update the internal memory / CPU.

The Music Hub could also provide a USB port for extrnal hard drive to add local music library?

I think if Bose was to develop something like this so SoundTouch users can access Apple Music and additional services, while also integrating the new Smart Home line and delivering a mesh Wifi network it would go a long way to fixing the mess caused by two incompatible line-ups. In addition, it would also solve a lot of the problems customers have with wifi, etc. 

This way, the app could communicate with the hub directly and the hub can control the speakers and send the streaming information over to the speaker, no matter if it's Smart Home or SoundTouch. 

This solution would bring Bose somewhat ahead of the competition by having a central control system that can be upgraded, supported and maintained outside of the line of speakers allowing for better product longevity. I'm pretty sure many customers would be happy to spend for this solution long as it solves a lot of the issues and delivers a great customer experience. You could add additional features that are saved on the Hub and make it easier for new customers to use their personal libary by not having to have a NAS - just connect a ext4 or FAT32 external with your music files to the hub. Easy 🙂 

The Smart Home product does not work for me, I do not want Alexa in the speaker itself and there isn't a wireless receiver like the SoundTouch Link so I can't connect to my existing powered speakers with the new platform. If you introduced a Bose Music Hub solution then you CAN integrate the line-up and allow both to work with all music services rather than being restricted by hardware capabilities on the speaker itself. 

Let me know your thoughts and I really do hope Bose consider this as an option. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Suggestion - Bose Music Hub

Hey G25!

Thank you for reaching out and providing features or new product ideas you think we should implement. We really appreciate all your ideas and will definitely pass them along to the relevant sources. I really do like your ideas!

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
g25
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

Thank you Brandon. I really do hope that this is considered, as I really would like to see SoundTouch evolve alongside the Smart Home line. For customers thst want Alexa - Smart Home, for customers that want Multi-Room sound without Alexa built in- then SoundTouch. I see no reason why a Bose Music Hub couldn't solve the shortcomings of both products and make it easier to deliver a better experience.

I see this solution as a much better way forward than what competition is doing, with a Music Hub there would be no need to keep updating speaker generations as better CPU and Memory can be included in the Hub - all the Hub does then is 'forward; the sreaming details to the speakers you want to play on. If the Music Hub also has a line-out capability it could also act like a SoundTouch Link too. It's a win-win. It'd also be easier for customers that don't want or have the technical knowledge to run a NAS to just plug a drive in with their music either a pen drive or external HDD and it be presented to the speakers without any additional set-up. 

I for one would gladly pay good money if this allows my SoundTouch devcies to access the latest music services and benefit from future app updates. 

Thank you for passing to over in any case. Appreciate the response. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

What music services are you really hoping to have included? Is it Apple Music?

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Highlighted
g25
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

Hi Brandon,

Yes built in Apple Music. 

The thing is, it's not just a case of using bluetooth or even AirPlay, if you look at Music Discovery in your competitors app (begins with a S 🙂 ), for example I can search for a particular artist and it brings up results from local music libary, spotify and apple music in one unified search. Currently the Spotify integration is rather basic so it's often easier to use Spotify Connect. I love the SoundTouch hardware, but the app experience just misses out on a lot of stuff. 

I'd personally like to see somethinhg similar to what the competition is doing, but I realise the hardware may not be capable so the solution I would come up with is a music server (Bose Music Hub) which would be able to solve a lot of these issues of integrating new features and powerful search capabilities, etc.  It would seem like the best way for Bose to add strong app capabilities is to have a hardware based controller and the speakers essentially can just be wireless 'endpoints'. Of course this could be optional for customers that want to light-up that new functionality, all they need to do is buy the Hub. 

I think the biggest issue for me is the spotify and local NAS options don't currently work that well for music discovery/search, so it makes it much harder to find music I want. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

No I definitely see where you are coming from. We will see where this goes.

I believe the solution to your problem will be the AirPlay 2. This will allow you to connect all of our speakers together and use them as a group. There is no ETA on this however it would bring some overall connection between our product lines. It obviously doesn't hit all the points you have touched on.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Highlighted
g25
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

The problem with AirPlay is obviously battery drain from the device ‘sending’ the music. I would much prefer improvements to the integrated experience but I am looking forward to AirPlay in any case, as that opens a lot of doors.