VOAK
Participant
Registered since

Jun 5, 2019

Suitable step down tranformer(220V to 110V) for India?

Hi

I have purchased SoundTouch 30 Series II in US and want to use it in India. Since input voltage is 110V, would like to know which stepdown transformer will be suitable to bring 220V to 110V? Are there any other parameters I need to check like Watt or Frequency (50 Hz or so) ? Suggest a model of this transformer if possible. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Re: Suitable step down tranformer(220V to 110V) for India?

Author Accepted Answer selected by VOAK

VOAK,

Hello, on the back of your SoundTouch, probably near where the A/C cord plugs in, there should be a label with the electrical requirements stated. I don’t know if your SoundTouch is stated to run at 50 or 60 mhz. It’s definitely rated for 60 mhz. If purchased in the US, but some US appliances will run at either 50 or 60 mhz., but it must be stated on the manufacturer’s rating plate (label). As for wattage, there should also be a Wattage Rating. Something in the 150 Watt Range. Since Watts are a Rating of Total Power consumed by the appliance, the Wattage won’t change whether you’re using 110 or 220 Volts A/C. There will be some loss in efficiency, plan to purchase a Voltage Converter (Step Down) from 220 Volts A/C to 110 Volts A/C in the 200 or 250 Watt range. I hope this helps, and please let us know if it does, or doesn’t. 

Sincerely,

heatman5

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by VOAK

VOAK,

Hello, on the back of your SoundTouch, probably near where the A/C cord plugs in, there should be a label with the electrical requirements stated. I don’t know if your SoundTouch is stated to run at 50 or 60 mhz. It’s definitely rated for 60 mhz. If purchased in the US, but some US appliances will run at either 50 or 60 mhz., but it must be stated on the manufacturer’s rating plate (label). As for wattage, there should also be a Wattage Rating. Something in the 150 Watt Range. Since Watts are a Rating of Total Power consumed by the appliance, the Wattage won’t change whether you’re using 110 or 220 Volts A/C. There will be some loss in efficiency, plan to purchase a Voltage Converter (Step Down) from 220 Volts A/C to 110 Volts A/C in the 200 or 250 Watt range. I hope this helps, and please let us know if it does, or doesn’t. 

Sincerely,

heatman5

View solution in original post

Jeff_G

Hello VOAK, 

Thanks for posting in the Bose Community. 

I can confirm the SoundTouch 30 II has the following power input ratings: U.S.A./Canada: 100-120 V 50-60 Hz. While a step-down transformer would potentially work, Bose does not recommend using them nor can we advise on a particular brand. Should that transformer fail, you are introducing a full current to the system and therefore any protection offered initially is now obsolete and the full 220/240v is being directly fed into the system. 

Damage that occurs due to this is not covered by the Bose limited warranty, so exercise caution if you choose to follow this route.

Kind regards,  

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

VOAK,

Hello, @Jeff_G  is correct and you should always follow all Bose Moderators’ instructions. I was answering as though your warranty was already void by usng a US device out of the region. Step Down Transformers vary in quality and I assumed you would’ve used one of higher quality with a Fused Secondary (Output). Sorry for the confusion.

Sincerely,

heatman5

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

@VOAK 

I’m glad you are able to use your SoundTouch. Thanks for returning to this forum to let us know. Good Luck and enjoy.

sincerely,

heatman5

Sanj
Participant
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

I have ignorantly wrongly used Bose ST 30 with 220V. Initially it played the sound for few seconds and than the sound disappeared. The display and connectivity are all working fine. 

Is there any chance of the product getting damaged and need repair or I can still use with 110V (considering that Bose has some preventive mechanism) and still get the sound output. 

My product is outside warranty.

Thanks in advance