Highlighted
Xdivid
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 21, 2018

Switch input source Soundtouch 300 via App??? Part 2

So the community opens a topic and Bose does two things:

1: Gives a bland repsonse that doesnt address issues : https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Switch-input-source-Soundtouch-300-via-App/m-p/151...

2: Locks the thread so consumers cant discuss and get updates

Joel @ Bose, Vs just shutting us out how about we keep the forum open for two way feedback? My first repsonse was asking if this is API related or actual hardware limitations (Lack of API mapping in the 300). 

Overall this further proves why support is lack luster here.....

3 REPLIES 3
BlueSkyOnMars
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 15, 2018

Re: Switch input source Soundtouch 300 via App??? Part 2

I was actually reaching towards the reply button on that thread to thank the moderator Joel_D for replying so quickly and passing our feedback along. Imagine my surprise to see the button missing because they had locked it. This is really disappointing, especially because there was definitely more to discuss there. I have a suggestion and a question for the mod team, which I’ll include in a second reply. The impression I’m getting, as a loyal customer and as someone trying to engage with Bose to fix their product, is that they don’t want that thread active because it looks bad for Bose. That’s just the impression it gives off. And because the mod never mentioned why it was locked, we’re left here guessing that. As with all relationships, communication and clarity are very important.

Anyway, let’s all try to make this a positive and successful support experience. The 300 is lovely from an industrial design perspective, but the user experience is being crippled by this software design flaw. Let’s fix it!

BlueSkyOnMars
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 15, 2018

The suggestion I was going to include in the previous thread:

I think the main priority here is that the SoundTouch 300 should default/return to your TV audio (whether that be HDMI ARC or optical) after my music session has ended. That’s is what, as a user, I am trying to achieve.

Currently, my user story goes (also see attached screenshots):

1) I had previously been watching WestWorld on my TV, which connects to the 300 via HDMI ARC. The white TV icon is lit and if I was to check the Soundtouch app, it would say "playing another source".

2) I decide to listen to music, open up Spotify, press play, and then change the output to my SoundTouch 300 using the Spotify Connect feature. SoundTouch 300 switches from the TV light to a white SoundTouch light. In the app, “another source” changes to spotify song info and the SoundTouch icon becomes enabled.

3) I finish listening and tap “This iPhone” in the Spotify app’s Connect interface. The SoundTouch 300 stops playing music but remains in SoundTouch mode (this is the bad part). Every other contemporary soundbar returns to its main job, playing TV sound.

4) I try to start the next episode of WestWorld, and sadly discover I have no audio. I notice the white SoundTouch light on the 300 illuminated instead of the TV, so I open up the app to fix it.

5) I look for a TV icon, which is missing. I notice the SoundTouch button is enabled so I tap it to disable Soundtouch and hopefully return to TV. At the top of the app “Ready to Play” is displayed instead of my expected TV “another source” message. The SoundTouch light on the 300 has turned amber and the TV light remains unlit. According to the manual this means “Station or library not found” or some type of error. Still no sound. I desperately scour the rest of the app looking for a TV option, even powering it off and on. No luck and no sound.

6) Confused and defeated, I go rummage around my cabinet to find the SoundTouch 300 remote. I see the TV icon I so desperately wanted to see in the app and tap it. I then have an existential crisis as I decide if I should keep this large ugly 90’s style remote around for the single purpose of rescuing me from this situation.

A few take always:

The best user experience does not involve using the the SoundTouch app or the SoundTouch controller. I start and end my music listening experience in the Spotify app and the soundbar should return to the default TV source which it is connected to. This eliminates parts 4, 5, and 6 of the user story.

The ok-but-not-great user experience is to allow the app to switch back to “another source” aka the TV. I don’t want to have to manually do this, but if I have to take out the app and switch the input I will. I should be greeted with a TV icon next to the SoundTouch and Bluetooth buttons. Sadly this is missing. The next best thing would be tapping the enabled SoundTouch button would return to the TV as some sort of default state. Instead this useless state of “Ready to Play” + amber SoundTouch light exists with seemingly no purpose. Nothing is enabled so it should be obvious I want the TV. This has to be a bug or a design flaw because I can’t imagine PM or an engineer deciding to intentionally put their user in this labyrinth-like state machine. Adding the TV option to the app eliminates parts 5 and 6 of the user story.

The worst and current user experience is to make me use a physical 90’s style controller for this singular task. I have enough remotes as it is. I was told by the Bose marketing team that this is a device I can manage from my phone. We are here.

This is ruining my experience with Bose and the SoundTouch 300, a product I really want to like. It sounds great and looks beautiful on my media console but with the current state of the firmware and app, I could not recommend this product to anyone. The worst part about it is Bose could easily fix it. This is not a difficult problem to solve.

TLDR: Make the SoundTouch 300 return to its previous input automatically (most likely TV) after ending a music session. Like every other soundbar.

Screenshots for user story reference:

IMG_0203.PNG1. "another source" (TV HDMI ARC input)IMG_0205.PNG2. Spotify sessions begins (SoundTouch input)IMG_0206.PNG3. Spotify session ends (stays in SoundTouch input instead of TV)IMG_0207.PNG4. SoundTouch input disabled (now in weird amber "ready to play" state instead of TV)IMG_0208.jpgManual for reference

BlueSkyOnMars
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 15, 2018

And then the question/clarification I had:
Some people are using the term AUX to refer to TV in the previous thread, but I think Bose uses that term to refer to a 3.5mm auxiliary audio cable, which is is not a feature of the SoundTouch 300 (at least for audio-in). In the screenshots in the iOS app store for SoundTouch, you see an AUX button, but I think that refers to the 3.5 mm as well. Bose, am I correct in my understanding of that?