MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

System has a mind of it's own after running fine for months

My system consists of 6 devices, four are ST-30’s and two are remotes.

The system has gone crazy right out of nowhere after months of working very well. I have rebooted, re-installed apps, restarted routers, and done everything as per the usual suggestions here. All updates are current and newest versions of apps installed. My controllers are an iPhone 6 on wifi, laptop on wifi and a desktop on Ethernet.

One by one, in no particular order, every single device went offline over a period of about a week and I had to go through the setup process on each. Now the devices are randomly going offline or “can’t find speaker” causing me to have to setup that particular one again. When I get the reconnected the signal strength is usually good or excellent. Even my ST-30 that is connected via ethernet went down. Twice in the last week I have had speakers turn themselves on and start playing. When this happened it was to the last music or station I was listening to on that speaker.

A new problem has surfaced as well, this pertains to whichever speaker is my “master”, including the one I have hardwired. What is happening here is when using “play all”, the master speaker will always be on at about 30% volume or so regardless of volume slider settings. I cannot turn the volume on the “master” all the way down, the slider moves down but the volume remains at about a 30% level. I can however turn it up louder though.  As a side note, when this happens the sound is degraded on the master, like a cheesy transistor radio, and normally any other linked in the play all are working as they should. This seems to be just the master doing this.

Lastly, the only thing that I am aware of a change was a windows 10 update which has basically rendered my laptop useless again, so deleted the Bose app, cleaned out the registry, download the Bose software and re-installed. Controller software is working again but sporadically as above.

I will keep experimenting to get my system working again and post anything I can come up with. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

Mike

12 REPLIES 12
MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

Re: System has a mind of it's own after running fine for months

Well here is a small update.

As I suspected, this problem may be associated with my laptop. Again. 

This laptop is a continuing headache to me and needs to be at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean anyway.

You will all think I am losing my mind, but the system sometimes shows speakers connected in "play all" when they are not even playing, or speakers playing when they show not available (grayed out). Also, randomly, speakers cut in and out when using the app on this particular PC. The worst so far is last night I set up play all and had some speakers playing, then WHILE STILL PLAYING I got a message that "Oops that didn't work". It kept playing though.

Whew.

Seems my phone app is working again - but AFTER completely shutting the laptop down to get it off the network. Tonight I will experiment with my desktop which is hardwired to the router to see how the system runs off of it.

Have no clue why this is happening. Timing wise it appears the windows 10 "fall creator update" is when it all started. 

Also will be trying hardwiring the laptop to see if that helps.

Thanks

Justerinity
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I am having the exact same problems. Same song popping up randomly for no reason during the day (and night). Months of excellent service, no problems. New interface? Was that when it started? Looks great, very annoying side effects. Am running off I phone SE / 6s and iMac and iPad. All software updated. Very annoying.
MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

Another update and response to myself and Justerinity

My desktop PC on WIN-7 64 bit cannot find speakers either now. This PC is hardwired ethernet and the soundtouch on ethernet is one of the ones it can’t find. So, uninstalled software, rebooted router, etc., etc., re-installed app and now it seems to be working tonight on this hardwired computer again. The laptop WIN 10 still shows various speakers connected but the sliders do nothing and the speakers are dim. Man, I am totally out on this one. Everything fine for weeks on end, now fail.

Here is the more weirdness - one of my speakers (ST-30) consistently shows offline on one computer app (wifi), but available on another one (ethernet). It always works from the phone. This particular speaker is on wifi and signal strength shows "great". It is about 20 feet from the router.

The only fairly stable controller in the house at this time is my iPhone 6.

Still troubleshooting this mess and will keep reporting in, I hope a mod is watching 🙂

Hey Justerinity, it seems to have started around the time the laptop installed the windows 10 fall creator update garbage, but now everything on my system is so out of whack I can't say if that is it or not. My phone is working OK after deleting and re-installing the app but the PC's are hit and miss, mostly miss sadly.

Mods, any ideas appreciated!

Mike

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the posts here, and sorry to hear about the detection issues you've been having with your devices.

Thanks as well for trying the standard troubleshooting steps, and describing in detail what is happening.  

What is the brand/model of your router?  Do you have wireless extenders/repeaters?  I don't believe what we're seeing here is a router issue but it's always good to have the info.

Are there any other mobile devices aside from the iPhone 6 you spoke about in your last post that we can test?

I'm a bit stumped as well, so I'm open to any and all ideas.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

Brandon I appreciate your response and will keep posting. My router is a Hitron 1738 CGNM  (Supplied by cable company). There are no range extenders or repeaters installed, I live in a ranch and the router is about at the center of the house. There are no other mobile devices on the system.

This contraption will find out who's boss here sooner or later LOL

I have a quick question; I disabled the little Bose helper and music server apps at boot time (that sit in the tray) on both of my PC's, so they do not boot up with Windows. Could that be in any way affecting my system? Of course when running the Bose system I leave them alone because they start with the app anyway.

After more tinkering it seems that only one speaker (ST-30 on wifi) is the main culprit right now, it shows offline on the wifi PC, but available (and it works properly) on the phone and ethernet connected desktop.

Thanks!

Mike

EDIT - - I have an update from last night, this gets even crazier sadly.

I did a factory reset of that one lone speaker that was acting up, and my laptop on WIFI is now working, my desktop on ethernet is good to go. But, now the phone will not connect for play all. Shows every speaker is "offline" exept the hardwired one.

I think there is a ghost in the house.

Mike

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Mike,

The Bose helper that's running in the background is for system detection.  It is there in case the SoundTouch app on your computer has difficulty finding the systems on your network.  Could we try temporarily enabling that for startup and seeing if it helps?

As well, is there any chance we could swap out that Hitron router that was provided by your Cable company?  They aren't the best routers, and will struggle with Wi-Fi connected speakers. 

What you could also do is just use that Hitron device as a Modem, and purchase your own router (like a Linksys or Netgear) that will get the job done. This is what I do at home, and my recommendation for customers that have Wi-Fi issues.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

Brandon I appreciate your assistance! I will look into the router issue as you suggest.I re-enabled the little helper apps and it “seems” to have helped to a point, however some other things I am trying may be having impact as well.

>>> If I open the Bose app, say on my iPhone, then decide to use one of my PC’s instead, (or vice-versa) should I close the first app, or is it normal (and/or OK) to have the apps running and open on multiple devices? This would be mostly when using play all and running the entire system (6 speakers) off one source such as Pandora.  Seems to work better when only one app is open, but not always the case.

>>>I may have some owner fail going on. For example, in the past when I open the app on any device to start the system, it would usually connect to everything without fail within about 5 seconds or less, and so I got spoiled with how fast it would connect up.Now I am waiting about 15 or more seconds, sometimes longer, when all the speakers finally show up THEN I start the system playing. This also is not a 100% foolproof deal either (especially recently), however it is helping more than not. So, is there a “minimum time” or something we should wait, or just go with common sense and wait for the speakers to show onboard first, then start playing?

>>>Lastly, should we set this software (on PC's) to "run as administrator", or no difference?

Mike

____

Sunday night edit - -

After tinkering over this new years weekend, uninstalling apps, reinstalling, resetting router, all of that, I have the phone and hardwired PC working 90% of the time. But alas, system has thrown yet another weird deal at me.

If I connect to ANY speaker using my WIN 10 laptop on WIFI, and set it as the master, that speaker works. Then if I hit play all, they all show available, all jump in on the software, but the actual speakers remain dark, even though I am showing them connected, volume sliders moving, all of that. So in effect only the master still throws sound even though they all “show” on at the software level. (Again, speakers themselves are dark / as in standby)

For the weirdness - - if I start the system with a different device (phone or hardwired PC), set a master, then play all, THEN switch to this same laptop as a controller, everything works as it should.

I don’t even know my name at this point LOL

Mike

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Absolutely, more than happy to!

There's no need to close apps on any devices.  Having it open shouldn't effect system detection on other devices.

It should be very quick.  If the app doesn't immediately open with the systems usable, it should take maybe two seconds for them to show up.  In some cases it could take a bit longer, but this should not be the norm.

There's quite a few variables that go into making Wi-Fi speakers work with each other in all sorts of different environments, so it can be a bit tricky.  Though I don't think you'll get quite the same sound quality from two cans and a string 😄

Take care,

Brandon - Bose Support

MikeDVI
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

OK, thanks Brandon!

FWIW I had edited the last post, looks like you must have replied to the original before I edited it. Sorry about the mix up.

After more tinkering, uninstalling apps, reinstalling, resetting router, all of that, I have the phone and hardwired PC working most of the time. Now though, if I connect to ANY speaker using my WIN 10 laptop on WIFI, and set it as the master, only that master speaker works. When I hit play all, they all show available and connected, but the actual speakers remain dark, even though I am showing them available, volume sliders moving, all of that. So in effect only the master still throws sound even though they all “show” on at the software level. (Again, speakers themselves are dark / as in standby)

Then If I start the system with a different device (phone or hardwired PC), set a master, play all, THEN switch to this same laptop as a controller, everything works as it should. 

Last question - should the software be set to "run as administrator" or no difference?

Mike