Dec 12, 2017
Here are some tips on the Alexa skill:
1) Verify that the speaker or Bose SoundTouch device has been added to your Bose Streaming account. This is very important. If the device is not associated with your account, you will not be able to use it with Alexa. If you want to verify what speakers you have in your account, using the SoundTouch App, go to Settings, then Speaker Settings. This will list all of your SoundTouch devices, and should show the firmware (software) version on any devices that are turned on and connected to your local area network.
2) Ensure you have updated the firmware (software) in your device to the correct version. You should be at 17.0.8 or later to use the skill.
3) Log into your Alexa account using either the Alexa phone app or the Alexa web page. Enable the Bose skill, and link the skill to your Bose Streaming account. To test whether you have successfully completed account linking (linking your Alexa account with your Bose Streaming account), tell Alexa "Alexa, ask Bose to list speakers". If you get your list of speakers, linking worked. Note: Ensure that the speaker you want to use is listed. It's best that the speaker be turned on when performing account linking.
4) Play something that uses a streaming source on the speaker/device you want to use. It is easy to play something from Tunein Radio or Pandora. Once something is playing, tell Alexa "Alexa, ask Bose what's playing". Depending on the specific music source, Alexa should tell you what is playing on all of your speakers with varying amounts of detail depending on the music service or source you chose (keep in mind that the level detail depends on the specific music service and source).
That's pretty much it 🙂 You should be good to go at this point.
Jan 5, 2017
Was the system turned on then changed to the bluetooth source or was the system off and the bluetooth device paired to the system connect to it and wake it up? If the latter, Alexa may not know the system is on since there was never a turn-system-on button press so it wont send any commands.
So when i got in I tried presets they work with turning up and down the volume, decided to connect a ipad to the blue tooth and play music thur it and alexa was able to turn up and down the volume.
Interesting enough connecting the TV thru bluetooth wont turn up the volume or down. Interesting it wont work anymore with the TV playing thru the bluetooth yet still doesnt make any sense to me
May 16, 2016
Thank you for responding. When you connect your TV to the system via Bluetooth ask Alexa to ask Bose what is currently playing on your speaker. If it can't tell you, then the connection is being broken somewhere in the chain. Please try to unplug your system, your Alexa device, and your router from power for 30 seconds and re-test. What is the make and model of the router you are using? Have you ever logged in to it before to make adjustments to any of the settings? I'm specifically interested in what the length of your DHCP lease time is, and if it can be increased. Please let us know.
Jan 19, 2017
I'm glad to see the Echo skill, but I have two questions...
1) How do you ask Alexa to turn a speaker to "Auxillary" input? This is critical for those of us who use turntables.
2) For presets that are music playlists, is there no way to save "shuffle" as the default play mode? I have a spotify playlist of thousands of songs, but it serves no real purpose if it always starts at track 1. Thanks!
Mar 20, 2017
I'm located in Canada and, therefore, cannot use the Alexa skill for my Bose. This is quite frustrating but I am trying to remain calm after waiting years for the Alexa skill in the first place. When might we expect a release in Canada? Within weeks... months... years?
Also, may I add that it would be extremely useful if we could control the Bose system with Alexa Routines. For example, in the Alexa app, I set up a routine where when I say "good night" to Alexa she will turn off all my lights but I am not allowed to turn off/pause music on my Bose system. It doesn't show up in available smart home devices. Right now I have to say two commands to pause music and turn off the lights... Is the Routine capability something I should expect in the future?
Everything was unplugged and reset, Skills were turned off and on etc etc. Increasing lease time isnt the solution when there are alot of things on a home network or any network. less devices = higher lease time , alot of devices = lower lease time.
Unfortunately i have spent more time then I have wanted on this and honestly something as simple as turning the volume up on a device using the ST bluetooth is a issue. It the world of turning up or down the volume control on bluetooth it should not matter what deivce is connected, the fact that the volume turns up and down for selected devices connected but yet not say a tv playing sound thru is bothersome to say the least. it worked for a few days then hasnt since. So far i have spent more time trying to fix it then it actually worked
As for now with the tv, ST, etc etc being hardwired pretty much anything that doesnt move shouldnt be a issue. Unforunately like many Ill have to look at other options on the market as this is unexceptable let alone the constant reboot this and that if it didnt work the first 3 times its not going to work on the 4th or 5th. What ever the reason is Im sorry but im going to point to its something with in the programming end of Bose considering everything else i have works just fine with alexa without issues. For what ever reason its it shouldnt be looking for anything playing it should be able to turn the volume up or down period rather then looking for something playing.
At this point i have removed the skill and im not going to waste anymore time on it. I expected a bit more from a company that charges a HUGE premium yet is still behind. From this point on Im at the point replacing the 3 ST in the house granted a loss in money will be worth having a speakers that work with out being selective on what devices they work for.
Dec 5, 2016
Hello KyleHancock and UnidentifiableMan,
Thank you both for posting. The link for more information on Alexa integration and commands with SoundTouch can be found HERE. UnidentifiableMan, We wanted to apologize for not communicating the Alexa skill availability. The skill is, in fact, only available in the U.S., and requires users in the U.S. to have their devices set to U.S. English.
As per both of your requests, I will pass this information along to our development teams.
KyleHancock as far the an ability to tell it to switch to Aux mode, this is not available. And the shuffle on mode Spotify, I will be happy to pass this along as well to development.
Let us know if you have any other question.