cruza52
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Tune-in Radio dropout

My Favourite Radio Station is Radio Paradise - USA... ( https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Paradise-s13606/ )  I have the Soundtouch 300 and Soundtouch 10 and this station worked fine on internet radio until we were all shackled into Tune-in. This particular station is suffering from random dropout evey 1-5 minutes for periods of 10-20 seconds.. The funny tthing is that all other stations work fine and Radio Paradise works great  on computer/chromecast hooked up to my Soundtouch 300. My internet is fast without issues.. Is there anyone else perhaps listening to this station or can tune into this station and let me know if you get dropout..

3 REPLIES 3
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Tune-in Radio dropout

Hello cruza52,

Thank you for posting.

I tested this station (which is amazing I might add as well) for several hours without any dropouts on my SoundTouch 10. 

This does seem odd that this is the only station you're having issues with and all others work fine. Can you test and let me know if a router reboot helps this at all? 

Let me know the results.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

cruza52
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Tried rebooting...resetting the network updated station details would try my 5ghz but pretty sure Soundtouch does not work on it... it worked fine on Vtuner and works fine on Bluetooth and Chromecast but dont want to be using other devices 24/7..

Been in touch with Tunein and they requested to send them "video" of the problem 🙂 I send them a 1.5 minute soundbyte whe there were 3 dropouts... nothing back from them yet..

The station has given me some information which I am sure you have seen in my other (negative Smiley Wink ) posts

Hi Leo,

TuneIn is probably directing you to our 320k stream, which is great for audio quality but can be challenging for networking -- especially in Australia. Other stations would almost all have lower -- generally much lower -- bitrates, so they wouldn't be as prone to interruptions.

I did a little research and it appears that Bose does not allow you to choose the bitrate (TuneIn carries a variety of our streams from 32k to 320k), and does not allow you to add custom URLs of your own, which pretty much every other manufacturer does. Two very unfortunate choices...

So the fault lies entirely with Bose. If you google "TuneIn Bose choose bitrate" you'll find lots of other people complaining about this, though most complaints are about TuneIn choosing a lower bitrate when a higher one is available. I suspect that as a result of those complaints, TuneIn is now erring on the side of "too high", which is not an issue in most circumstances these days.

The networking bottleneck is probably in the link between our servers and your ISP, but you should probably double-check your WiFi performance also. Try hitting Google's speed test utility (just Google "speed test") from a mobile device sitting on the Bose unit. It it's low (< 10 mbps, say) try adjusting antennas or changing WiFi channels.

It's also possible that the path between you & the UK is better than the path between you & the US.  I just adjusted our stream network to serve AU & NZ from London rather than Virginia. That might help. Or it might make things worse. Let me know.

thanks
-bg
---
Bill Goldsmith
Radio Paradise
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi cruza52,

Thanks for the update.

If you do not hear anything back within a few days, please let me know, and I'll raise this development for you.

Warm Regards,

Joel