Scottomatic
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 17, 2016

TuneIn Audio Quality

I was able to find all my internet streams on TuneIn but the app is only delivering low definition audio streams that sound awful. Jason, please explain this? How do we get the TuneIn feature in the SoundTouch product to deliver high definition audio from our favorite content producers? 

Can you explain why SoundTouch app is unable to open an Internet .pls stream? Without this feature, the product cannot claim to play "internet radio." 

14 REPLIES 14
MHS_UK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Re: 11/20 Update: TuneIn/internet radio information

Hello. I followed your instructions and updated the App. As a result, my presets all work and the delay is back to where it used to be with internet radio (30 to 45 seconds)

But. The quality is awful. Might as well be listening on Medium Wave. The whole point of buying a high end internet enabled speaker is to enjoy superior sound quality.

I now have better sound quality from my iPhone XR built in speaker.

And this is the critical issue. Whatever reason you give for the transition you have devalued your customer’s experience and devalued the Bose brand. Fix this or it will haunt your business for years to come.
Highlighted
MHS_UK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Yes, the UK stations are there but the sound quality is noticeably inferior to the prior set up.  The time lag isn't problem in the UK has been sorted post the update but it is now like listening on a tinny portable speaker. Not what you pay 400 quid for.  

oliparcol
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 9, 2016

The quality of "France Inter" is awful on TuneIn, a lot worst than the internet feed available on their website... 

Can you do something to help ?

Thanks

**EDIT** I just saw that this issue has been already raised a long time ago (https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/TuneIn-high-quality-bitrate/m-p/106183)

As everybody else, please note that I bought a bose speaker to listen to music with a correct (I'm not even asking for a perfect) quality. 

You should have considered these issues before forcing your clients to migrate to TuneIn...

Genests
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 3, 2016

Sound quality is very poor with tunein !
All my favorite station have poor quality

Please add a function to add the direct link to the radio (as sonos have done) !
Add direct radio station eliminate tunein compression
All station sound like 64bitrate
Very very poor for bose speaker
😞

bart1000
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Bose - a user had mentioned that the strange delays from VRT, and an Iceland station are related to the playback of HLS streams.  This seems to be more a Bose issue than a Tunein issue.  With all the sound quality complaints there seems to be an issue on stream selection.  Can you choose not to use HLS streams?  Can you choose not to use the lowest bit-rate.  Do users have to subscribe to Tunein to get better streams? 

Please clarify this.

tchervenov
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

I have bad quality of sound with the radio ZRock, 89,10, Sofia, Bulgaria on TuneIn=

Please make your possible.

Thanks.

CapitanoDD
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Hi Joel and Bose team
I was directed here re: poor quality radio..and 95.3 virgin radio in Vancouver bc Canada is poor quality.
Looking forward to the fixes coming from Bose where we can enter in our our website URL and set it to a preset!!
Best regards
CapitanoDee
Rob Vanderbroeck
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi all,

I have been a ST user for two weeks, I started with two ST 10 III ( stereo pairing mode ) but I could not get used to the difference in balance in stereo pairing mode. In party mode I found the sound quality not good. A friend of mine has the ST 30 III for almost one year and he didn't know about the change from V tuner ( internetradio ) to TuneIn. When I told him he told me that he missed a view presets and he found the quality of sound of the radio not as good as it was before.

Because I am just a newby concerning Bose I can not judge if there is an difference in quality, my only experience is my Samsung soundbar which has Vtuner software but the soundquality of the soundbar is poor. What I can judge is the difference in quality in different radiostreams TuneIn now streams, I was checking if there's a explanation for this. After I googled for a while I found this on the community portal : https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Tunein-selecting-high-quality-streams-by-default/td...

Last year Bose was also changing the streamfeed ? 

quote : Ugo Nedurna

The internet radio app provided by vtuner has a better selection of default streams but tunein has a greater choice of stations and supports the display of currently played songs on ST20 and ST30 devices.

answer 

Moderator quote : 

Hi Ugo Nedurna,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm going to take a look into this and see if this is currently being done.  If it isn't, I'll submit a recommendation to the software development team.

Thanks,

Brandon

What happened since last year ? And why are there so much problems with TuneIn, did you try before you run the update.

Hello @CapitanoDD,

Thank you for posting. 

I appreciate your working with us on this.

What region are you located in?

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support