Re: 11/20 Update: TuneIn/internet radio information

Hello Rob Vanderbroeck,

Thank you for posting.

Do all sources sound like this to you besides TuneIn radio?

If it's only TuneIn radio, what stations specifically are providing poor quality audio and what region are you located in?

Let me know the results.

Best Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Rob Vanderbroeck
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

@Joel_D wrote:

Hello Rob Vanderbroeck,

Thank you for posting.

Do all sources sound like this to you besides TuneIn radio?  No only the radio differs in quality

If it's only TuneIn radio, what stations specifically are providing poor quality audio and what region are you located in?

I listen a lot to NPO Radio 2 , SKY Radio, Radio 10 and the sound quality seems to vary.

I live in Maastricht ( Netherlands ) 

Just checked but my RSSI also vary's between very good, reasonable and bad. Just connected the ST20 by ethernet cable to check the stability of sound quality, does not get any better.

Spotify and Deezer sound great. 

Let me know the results.

Best Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hi Rob Vanderbroeck,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with all the details.

I'm going to raise this to development for you, and if there is any additional information needed, we will reach back out to you.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

@Joel_D wrote:

Hi Rob Vanderbroeck,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with all the details.

I'm going to raise this to development for you, and if there is any additional information needed, we will reach back out to you.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Update 

Perhaps interesting for you. The app on my tablets RSSI status is reasonable and on my I Mac is good. ( I Mac is wired to the network )

cruza52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Re: 11/28 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

Huge Mistake... I purchased my equipment only months ago happily listening to internet radio and avoiding Tunein... and now it is taken away... and my favourite radio station - Radio Paradise ( https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Paradise-s13606/ ) is dropping out every minute or so for 5-10 seconds... this is on all my wireless wifi speakers and all I can do is put a Chromecast onto my Soundtouch 300 to get any type of reliable sound... would like to share with you the response from this radion station. BRING BACK INTERNET RADIO...... LET ME CHOOSE...

"TuneIn is probably directing you to our 320k stream, which is great for audio quality but can be challenging for networking -- especially in Australia. Other stations would almost all have lower -- generally much lower -- bitrates, so they wouldn't be as prone to interruptions. 
I did a little research and it appears that Bose does not allow you to choose the bitrate (TuneIn carries a variety of our streams from 32k to 320k), and does not allow you to add custom URLs of your own, which pretty much every other manufacturer does. Two very unfortunate choices... 
So the fault lies entirely with Bose. If you google "TuneIn Bose choose bitrate" you'll find lots of other people complaining about this, though most complaints are about TuneIn choosing a lower bitrate when a higher one is available. I suspect that as a result of those complaints, TuneIn is now erring on the side of "too high", which is not an issue in most circumstances these days. 
The networking bottleneck is probably in the link between our servers and your ISP, but you should probably double-check your WiFi performance also. Try hitting Google's speed test utility (just Google "speed test") from a mobile device sitting on the Bose unit. It it's low (< 10 mbps, say) try adjusting antennas or changing WiFi channels. 
It's also possible that the path between you & the UK is better than the path between you & the US.  I just adjusted our stream network to serve AU & NZ from London rather than Virginia. That might help. Or it might make things worse. Let me know."

This is the response from Tunein

"Thank you for getting back to us.
Just to verify, is this the station you are having issues with:
https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Paradise-s13606/
Kindly send us a video of the issue so we can have a closer look on our end. This will help our team the cause of the problem.
I will wait for your soonest response! "