Highlighted
JimF
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

TuneIn is not an Internet Radio Replacement

Bose, you're making a mistake with this move.. all content on Internet Radio is not covered by TuneIn. My wife's lost her favorite station and is not happy. 

Before you suggest using bluetooth to stream this station to her Soundtouch 20 in the kitchen, know that she is not tech savvy. That's why pressing a preset worked so well for her - now that option is gone. 

Instead of adding new services, as has been promised in this community for years, Bose is now removing them. This leads me to believe this line of products will be sunset in the near future. I have 7 Soundtouch devices including two surround systems - wish I had known this before spending thousands on this equipment. 

57 REPLIES 57
Donna01
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Re: TuneIn is not an Internet Radio Replacement

I completely agree with you JimF. I updated my speaker today and have effectively lost a whole lot of functionality as the stations I listen to aren’t available on TuneIn. This is not ok, it’s a sub-optimal replacement. I’m not happy at all.
jbuck
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I too am very upset about this. I have three Soundtouch speakers and listened daily to internet radio from rural Australia. None of the stations I listened to are available on Tunein. My very expensive speakers are now useless in terms of what I purchased them to do. I note that as of tonight Bose soundtouch speakers are still being advertised on Bose (Australia) websites as being able to stream internet radio. This is not only inaccurate but is unethical.

SBH!
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 13, 2017

"This leads me to believe this line of products will be sunset in the near future"

Now my main worry - a huge investment from me, and loads of broken promises.  They never added Apple Music, they never fixed gapless playback.  A complete waste.

WJV
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

The problem of setting them up every time again, so they play all together, is not taking care of.
Nor the connection with Apple or Google

But making it less functional, thats what they did.

The best use I can see for them in near future is connect them with to chromecast audio.

JimF
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Sonos supports 60+ services and Amazon's echo line is rapidly moving into multi-room audio with support for most compatible Alexa apps. How does Bose respond? 

Instead of expanding services, after removing Internet radio Bose Soundtouch now supports 7 external services plus a home NAS and music library. They've also launched another line of multi-room speakers that are not compatible with the Soundtouch line. 

I wish they'd level with us on where this is all going. Soundtouch equipment sounds great but it's not getting nearly the support of competing products. I'm inclined to start selling it and moving to a better supported platform. 

Laurent D
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I Completely agree . It is a really big mistake !!!! I am very upset from BOSE.

MESSAGE TO BOSE :

PLEASE , INCLUDE AN ADDITIONNAL  OTHER SERVICE  OR AN OPTION TO ADD OUR OWN STREAMING URLS.

AND PLEASE DO IT FAST !

Graculus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 1, 2016

In my experience TuneIn is poor quality, unreliable and simply doesnt have the stations I listen to on it (mainly the UK version of BBC radio 5 live). Bose, at least give us the chance to add our own url's or you can forget any more business from a lot of disgruntled people. The way this has been handled is simply unacceptable. I'm now left with a very, very expensive bluetooth speaker. 

gordoncrispy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Annoyed.  Like many others I spent a great deal on Soundtouch because it had the presets and phono inputs.  My other half is also not tech savvy and not inclined to learn how to jump through hoops just to listen to her favourite radio station which used to be a button press away.

Biem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Please Bose, listen to your customers.

Because TuneIn Radio doesn’t work great. At all.
The radiostation I listen to every day (FIP) plays on a very, very low bitrate (i think it’s 32kb/s). And the radiostation my kids listen to most of the time (Efteling Kids Radio) doesn’t play at all!

Both these stations DO work in the TuneIn App, but don’t work in the SoundTouch app. Please fix this. Because what’s the point of owning quality speakers that only play crappy radio?