Re: TuneIn is not an Internet Radio Replacement

Hi jonr,

I'm sorry to hear about your missing radio stations.

Can you please list the radio stations that are missing?  We can submit a request to TuneIn to have them added to their catalog.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Biem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Hello Brandon,

At least my favorite station FIP doesn’t sound like a 90’s RealPlayer stream anymore. So that’s a change!

I still think all stations should stream at at least a 128 kB/s bitrate, but preferably more.

Unfortunately the favorite radio station of my kids (Efteling Kids Radio) wich did work for a couple of days stopped working again. (Error code 3102)

Good luck Bose!
Nadia1981
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Are these moderators actually reading the comments?

People have listed station after station not available through TuneIn and it is well known that TuneIn has not been adding new stations for over a year now.

Do us all a favour and at least be honest so we can move on and either accept things as is or get a replacement for these expensive bluetooth speakers Soundtouch has become with this up(down)grade.

Hello Biem,

Thanks for the update and we're glad to hear everything is now working for you!!

We're still currently investigating the Kids Radio channel and will let you know when everything is working.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hello @Nadia1981,

Thanks for the post.

We're absolutely listening to everyone and relaying the station requests to our development team.

We do apologize about not being able to reply to everyone as the volume of requests is quite high. 

Warm Regards,

Joel 

paudux
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

@Joel_D wrote:

Hello @Nadia1981,

Thanks for the post.

We're absolutely listening to everyone and relaying the station requests to our development team.

We do apologize about not being able to reply to everyone as the volume of requests is quite high. 

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Unfortunately Joel, I don't think Bose is listening to the contributors to this forum.

The PROBLEM is that Bose users are now reliant on Tunein for Internet radio, and unfortunately when contacted directly Tunein have stated they will not be adding the stations I listen to in New Zealand (these are just the most popular ones in the country), and it seems it's been a long time since they last added any new stations. Tunein is also blocked in China which takes out all your Chinese customers.

I never cared before, but it seems that for Internet Radio to work on Bose we are totally reliant on a third party, with local content going to America and then back to the country of origin, so there will always be delay and there will also be bandwidth congestion issues with this delivery model, as a network archietect this is does not make sense unless like Google Tunein wants to control the stream and insert it's own advertising content.

The missing radio stations and delay are just a SYMPTOMS of of the problem, and will keep being an issue with each new radio station, station ownership, Internet congestion Tunein using audion quality as a way to manage their network bandwidth etc.

A solution to the PROBLEM as stated by contributors to this forum is to add a second third party e.g. vTune, also to add the ability to enter URL's directly, such as Sonos does, even my old Squeezebox does this (which I've had to get out to supply content to Bose). The ability add URL's directly would protect owners from the whims of a third party content provider like Tunein, and delay because content would be streamed directly to the Bose speaker.

The way this sort of stuff should be done (and is done with well designed network where audion quality is important), is for a third party or supplier to provide the appropriate information (URL in this case) to establish a direct connection between the content source and consumer, then step back.

Ever since Google started channelling all Internet traffic through it's aggregation points, others seem to think this is a good idea, but in reality it's creating increased Internet traffic and adding delay as data, lets say in New Zealand does from NZ to Google in Singapore and back to NZ (yes this happens with every network device the uses the Google name servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 doubling the bandwidth required), all the while allowing Google to know your Internet usage.

I have a SA-5, Soundtouch-20, Soundtouch-10, multiple Soundtouch link devices, and outdoor speaker that luckly is not a Soundtouch device. So fair to say I'm very dissapointed with the approach Bose has taken, the fact that Bose is NOT listening and NOT responding. Just saying thank-you for your requests and these have been passed on to our development is not Bose responding to the issue.

Hello All,

We recently posted an update on this thread HERE

"Our team is working to add a method for users to add any radio stream URL to SoundTouch and set it as a preset."

• If you're unable to find your station in TuneIn let us know HERE including your location.
  • If you're experiencing poor audio quality from a TuneIn station post HERE with the details
  • If you're running into an error trying to set a preset with a TuneIn station give us the details HERE.

We will be closing this thread to keep everything in one area so we can assist you better.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Hello @Biem,

Can you test the Efteling Kids Radio for us and let us know if this is now working for you?

Kind Regards,

Joel