TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

SOLVED
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorJoel_D
Animated Arbiter

Re: TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

@Scottomatic wrote:

TuneIn is not a content provider and it is not providing a free service; any expense is paid by the organization that is programming the stream. Bose removed the .pls stream capability because there are people who publish streams on the Internet without paying royalties to the music industry lawyers in violation of US copyright law and the current law in the US holds that Bose, as the maker of the device, is liable for this violation if users use Bose products to access this content that is in violation of law. I'm not aware of any litigation to this end but the threat of it is enough.

Those are totally unfounded assumptions.
This is simply not true, and I hold the fact that all the other brands of multiroom speakers allow .pls streaming as a proof.
This, and the fact that I can play all my illegal MP3s on my Bose device. The threat is simply non-existent.

What happened is that they did not want to pay for both vTuner and TuneIn integration, that's all. They'll never admit it but that's the only plausible explanation.
Friendly Fanatic

@thewild wrote:

@mikeym666

Well, I think we have reasons for dissatisfaction. If you don't mind, good for you. But I, for one, am really mad about this change.

We got an answer from Classic 21 (one the stations that are not available on TuneIn), and I am very pessimistic that they will ever be back on TuneIn :

so did vPlayer payed royalties to this radio station (I doubt it) or did Classic 21 changed their policy towards streaming aggregators?

Animated Arbiter

Just a thought, folks.

Have you all gone into the app, clicked the Feedback button (one of the options offered by clicking the three horizontal lines in the top left of the app), and taken the survey? In it, if you click the last option, Something Else, a space appears where you can tell them why you feel the way you do.

Let’s go, people!  Bose are, they say, anxious to know what you think of how they are doing. “Feedback” offers a very good way to tell them.

Audible Advocate

Great idea, just did it!

Friendly Fanatic

I’m not happy with this change either!

I bought the Soundtouch system (even wanted to expand for other rooms in ly house) specifically because they had (1) presets and (2) internetradio so I could listen to my fav radiostations from Dash Radio with just a click on the button. Well, not anymore. 

Now Soundtouch has become very useless or as one before me mentioned, very very expensive bluetooth speakers. 

Not to mention the lack of communication from Bose, the annoying commercials every time I switch the channel, the fact that a lot of Belgian (and according to this forum many other countries) national radio channels are either not supported or have a 15 minute delay! This is just unacceptable!

Considering selling Soundtouch and switching to Sonos if there isn’t a solution to this very soon. I can live without the preset buttons but not with the limited choices Bose shoved down our throats.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

@Nadia1981 wrote:

I’m not happy with this change either!

I bought the Soundtouch system (even wanted to expand for other rooms in ly house) specifically because they had (1) presets and (2) internetradio so I could listen to my fav radiostations from Dash Radio with just a click on the button. Well, not anymore. 

Now Soundtouch has become very useless or as one before me mentioned, very very expensive bluetooth speakers. 

Not to mention the lack of communication from Bose, the annoying commercials every time I switch the channel, the fact that a lot of Belgian (and according to this forum many other countries) national radio channels are either not supported or have a 15 minute delay! This is just unacceptable!

Considering selling Soundtouch and switching to Sonos if there isn’t a solution to this very soon. I can live without the preset buttons but not with the limited choices Bose shoved down our throats.

It's been awhile since I last looked around (having brought into the Bose ecosystem), but over the weekend as well as Sonos, I also checked out the Denon Heos range as well as the Yamaha MusicCast range, they have good functionallity and sound good. Now that the Bose Soundtouch range has now been downgraded into the market of bluetooth speakers, the other alternatives are Logitech and Sony.

I'd be interested in what others are considering as an alternative also.

Hello All,

Thank you for all posts.

We have shifted to TuneIn as the primary source for our internet radio service on SoundTouch. While some of you may have seen our message in the SoundTouch app around Halloween noting the change was coming soon, we realize that for many this change was abrupt. For this we are sincerely sorry – you deserve a better experience than what we delivered.

While the move was not nearly as seamless as we would have hoped, we are still truly excited to celebrate TuneIn as our core provider of internet radio. TuneIn not only gives you access to over 100,000 stations, but also brings sports, news, talk, and millions of podcasts to the table. We’ve supported TuneIn as an integrated service for over a year now, and we’re confident you’re going to love them as a core part of the SoundTouch experience.

As for some housekeeping, if you are experiencing issues with internet radio service we encourage to you open the SoundTouch App to ensure your app and products are up to date with the latest software. If your product is not up to date, you should get a pop up notification prompting a software update when you launch the app.

Or if your presets are not working after the update, you can search for your station by going to TuneIn on Soundtouch and searching for your station by name to set a new preset.

In response to customer feedback on stream quality using TuneIn on SoundTouch, we have launched an update to address delays in playback and improve the overall stream quality for thousands of stations. This update should now be live on your SoundTouch devices.

There will be no SoundTouch application or system updates required.

You may need to close and re-open the app and stream if you don't notice an improvement.

If you're still experiencing any issues with a delay or audio quality, let us know.

If you're unable to locate your favorite station(s) in TuneIn, please leave a comment HERE with the station(s) details.

Thank you all for your continued patience and support.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Wistful Whiz

Hi Joel

Thank you for the update about the change to TuneIn. A few questions about the music services aviaible now on SoundTouch and SmartHome speakers:

Does the latest TuneIn version, installed on Bose systems, have the same features as TuneIn Pro or Tunein Premium?

This is from Tunein:

TuneIn offers two different apps: TuneIn Radio and TuneIn Radio Pro.

TuneIn Radio is our free app with access to 100,000 real radio stations and 5.7M podcasts.

TuneIn Radio Pro is available for a one-time fee. It is just like our free app but additionally is banner ad and pre-roll ad-free and allows you to record.

TuneIn Premium is a paid subscription service that we offer for both apps. With TuneIn Premium, listeners will get everything featured in the TuneIn standard free service, plus live NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL games, more than 600 commercial-free music stations, and an ad-free experience. The TuneIn Premium service can be accessed by logging into a Premium account both on the TuneIn Radio Pro app, and our Free app.

Which version is now the core service offered in the Bose platform?

What is the significance of TuneIn being moved from “Integrated” to “Core” status.

With the update... will the old Internet Radio section occupied by VTuner disappear?

I notice the Smart Home line does not support iTunes according to the product page.

Audible Advocate

Just return to vTuner, that is the product we bought and paid for; good and quality radio coverage. And also allow adding streams manually.

Quiet Contributor

Hi I’m in Australia. I just updated my SoundTouch software but under ‘music services’ for TuneIn I get a message saying the service isn’t available at this time. When will it be available and why would you remove my internet radio before an alternative is available!! Very amateurish on your part!