Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

Re: UPDATED JUNE 12th - MASTER: Play All not working correctly after 19.x update

Bose Service Twitter handle just replied to my question about the Play all firmware bug:

“Hello Martin. Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing. There are no updates available to share at this time, but please continue to follow up on our Community for future announcements. Thanks.”

What to say?:(
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Re: UPDATED JUNE 12th - MASTER: Play All not working correctly after 19.x update

I have been trying to figure these problems for almost 2 months.

My setup used a ST300 as the Primary, Grouping it with 4 ST10s
Up until early 2018 it worked well with the initial connection to the ST300 via Bluetooth from an iPod, iPhone and IPad. Then suddenly Bluetooth connections stopped working for Grouping 75% of the time. Using WiFi for that initial connection to the ST300 still allowed Grouping most  of the time. With the May 2018 firmware upgrade, ALL Grouping utilizing a Bluetooth connection stopped working. Connections using WiFi would still work, but they required complete resets of the setup every 1 to 4 days, or 2 to 6 starts.

What follows is just mostly unverified reports/observations and speculation. FYI, the demographic I exist in is 60 to 90 and most can afford to buy whatever they want. (I’m about in the middle).

I (and Bose should be) am interested in reading posts commenting on these observations, whether they support or contradict this post.

- the Users with almost no problems, use a Primary speaker in their Group that is less than 1 year old and is not a ST10.
- Since May 2018, Those with older primary units have to connect to the Primary using WiFi to ever connect and Group. Using Bluetooth NEVER allows successful Grouping.
- Everybody’s ST10s were at least 1.5 years old, and NONE function at all well as the primary in a Group.
- Age and quality of their router appears to make little to no difference.

Typical still stable setups include:
1. Those serving music from an smartphone or pad and have:
 - a ST20(30) as the primary with 1 to 3 ST10s (2 included a ST300)
 - connection with the ST20 via Bluetooth to then Group other speakers.
2. Those mostly streaming music from internet sources:
 - they like the Wave ST IV as the primary, and with 1 to 4 ST10s (1 ST300)
 - connection with the WST IV is via WiFI to then Group other speakers.

Since I could order a SoundTouch 20 from Amazon and return it for up to a month. I decided to give it a try. It arrived yesterday. I had been planning to get one prior to start of all he problems back in May, then put the new speaker purchase on hold.. The setup went surprising smooth. I connected it via Bluetooth as the Primary, then Grouped with my ST300 and two ST10s. It has only been less than 24 hours, but I have signed off and then back on 4 times Grouping without any difficulty. I'll be counting the days to see if I can get beyond 5 days. I report as soon as it fails and requires more than just turning the ST20 off, then back on to work, or is not the result of a general network failure.

I know the sample group size is not very large and is quite selective. But it with my current experience it leads me to rashly speculate that maybe the problems with the 19.x.x firmware upgrades negatively affects mostly pre-2018 ST products.

Bose should not just assume that after they tell a user that there must be a problem with the users router/network and then the user does not call/email back and/or provide the information/documentation Bose requested (which 75% of users are not capable of providing) that things now work and the users are happy. No Bose, they are just frustrated and have given up trying to use Grouping/MultiRoom and do not plan to ever buy a Bose product again.

A good start would be for somebody at Bose (other than just Brandon, a moderator here) to say "Bose knows there is a problem and is are working on it"
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Why Bose has to hide behind the Community Forum and its moderators I just dont understand? 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

As an update to my previous report I wanted to let you know that since upgrading the main router unit everything has been working without issues.
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 1, 2017

Hello,

I have Soundtouch 300 + AM300 + VI300 and a single Soundtouch 10.
As a Soundtouch 300 + AM300 owner, I have previously experienced basic problems that this combination resulted in for about 6 months.
During that period, I spent a lot of time resetting the hardware, running adaptiq XXX times, being in touch with customer service.
When the bass issues finally resolved in conjunction with firmware update (17?), I was instead hit by the "Play All" issues that all describe in this thread. In other words, I have had these problems longer.

The only reconfigurations I've made hoping to solve the "play all" problems are reboot of speaker and router (TECHNICOLOR TG799VAC XTREAM) and switch back and forth with the 2.4ghz / 5ghz network.

As far as this system is concerned, I feel somewhat burned out spending time on recovering functionality that had previously been working.
I just want to make my voice heard as another customer suffered from this problem.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

I hate to write it, but welcome to the “unfortunate” Play all club:(
Martin
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

This is an update to my Thursday, June 12th posting.

Using Bluetooth to connect to my new ST30 first for creating Grouping/Play All did not last 24 hours. After several failed resets, I switched backed to using wifi to connect to the ST30 before beginning Grouping. That has been mostly stable, BUT is has only been 3 days. I had been usually getting 1 to 5 days after resets since May. The ST30 has dropped Grouping several times, but all it took was powering the ST30 off, then back on and Grouping was re-established without having to delete then re-add my speakers. That is the way my system had been operating since a winter 2017-18 firmware upgrade until the May 2018 19.x.x upgrade. Prior to that winter upgrage I would have said Grouping/PlayAll was 90%+ functional(since Spring of 2017), afterwards about 75% functional, then after the May upgrade, less than 25% functional. Hopefully using the new ST30 as the primary speaker in a Grouping has returned me to the 75% functional level...If it does, I'll keep when my Return Window is reached, otherwise it goes back.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

After two months it is more than clear that the Play all fw bug is obvious and affecting majority of those who use the feature and "upgraded" their systems to 19.0.5 fw version. Our wifi routers are NOT at fault.
At this moment I stop pouting, will give Bose 30 more days to fix this mess and play the game just the way as they do: I am lucky as my 3 ST's are still covered by Amazon.de's 2 year warranty - if there is no fix by 15. Aug'18 - I am done with Bose and I am sending all 3 speakers back and will go with Sonos instead. You get what you give Bose and being told to "stay tuned and follow Community updates" will interest me for more month, after that Bose lost another customer and gained a new brand detractor. None of those affected by the Play all mess desrves to be treated by Bose like this.
Martin

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 26, 2016

I have been a SoundTouch customer for over 2 years now and want to add myself to the list of those that are plaqued by the issues with "Play All" or just grouping speakers together.

I will admit that I have been a long, long Bose supporter and these speakers ARE amazing but dealing with the multiple releases of code has indeed been a roller coaster ride.  I will say that ver. 18 WAS the best of all the previous versions and that I was hesitant to upgrade to 19 but did it anyway; I was almost instantly upset with my decision.

I can list many little bugs that I can easily live with but when I can not trust that I will be able to a full song throughout my house using "Play All" that is enough to also add my name to this ever growing list.  It doesn't matter which speaker I use as the host, what that host's wireless signal is, or even if I use 2.4 or 5 Ghz.  Sometimes some of speakers even taunt me and either shut off or turn back on when I walk by them.

I too am amazed at how long it takes for Bose to come up with fixes for these problems.  Come on Bose...this next release better fix these problems or you will be losing customers.

1-ST300, Acoustimas 300, Virtually Invisible 300, 1-Wave IV, 7-ST10, 2-Link, 1-LinkSys WRT1900AC
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 15, 2018

I do think we're being pacified by Bose technical support, talking us through the issue so it appears they are eliminating things and so making progress and that we're actually helping them do that.

I've spent a couple of hours on the phone to them already and I bet I've been doing the same as numerous other complaining users..force update, reboot everything, move speakers, move router, split dual band Wifi signals and put speakers on seperate band,  collect logs etc. etc.

Play All worked fine for my 3 speakers until an update caused it to stop working. That is agreed by Bose. I now have 3 quite expensive speakers that I can only ever use one of at any time -unless I can bear to listen to unsynchrobnized music!

This issue has been going on for months, Bose still sell the spealers with Play All as an advertised feature but do not seem to  know what the problem is or be in a piosition to fix it. I was called by Bose again 2 days ago and asked to disable wifi security on my router as the developers in the US have said "this maybe worth a try".

I have just raised this with BBC watchdog in an effort to get Boise to take this seruiously.