apolaine
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Re: UPDATED JUNE 12th - MASTER: Play All not working correctly after 19.x update

Hi Brandon,

I had two set ups. Usually I have my Apple AirPort Extreme and an extending Apple Airport Express creating a network with my Telstra Gateway Max cable modem. Telstra is Australia’s National telco - I believe the router is a rebadged Netgear, but I couldn’t tell you the model. I turned off all the Apple routers to simplify things.

I should have explained “drop off the network” better. What I mean is that one of two things happen when I turn either of my ST speakers off (onto standby, not fully powered off). Either they fail to find the WiFi network again when powered on, so I have to delete them from the app and go through set-up again or the speakers fail to see each other and group properly. Maybe they struggle when assigned new IP addresses from my router?

Brandon, it would greatly help if one of the Bose devs briefly explained the underlying architecture of how the grouping works - is it based on MAC address, IP address, frequency, something custom? Since this way your customers might be able to help debug things. At present, it’s just a black box and nobody knows what is going on and you have a bunch of customers who have spent a lot of money on Bose gear and are losing their faith in the company, which is both a PR and CX disaster unfolding but also a shame. Bose gear should be some of the finest out there. I’ve no idea of your level of influence, but I urge you to point this thread to whoever heads the customer experience at Bose and also the lead dev responsible for the WiFi/grouping code.
gorgen
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2018

Re: UPDATED JUNE 12th - MASTER: Play All not working correctly after 19.x update

Hi

After having all of the problems described in this forum with play all, single speakers lost from network etc I finally have found a workaround that have worked for me in three days now!

I have limited my wifi network to an "old 2.4" Ghz network. After disabling the router bandsteering functionality, disabling 5GHz network and putting the lease time for IP adresses to infinite the Bose speakers works as expected!

Looks like Bose doesn't support a modern wifi home networks, crazy! I have computers, phones, lamps, cameras and even a television bridge connected to my network and no other equipment than the Bose speakers have any problem.

apolaine
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

I'm not so sure about that diagnosis, but without Bose developers bothering to explain the underlying architecture, it's impossible to know.

When I play from Spotify from my ST 300 Soundbar, the ST 20 shows the same track as playing on the LED display. The same behaviour is probably true on the ST 300, but it has no display to check. Anyway, this means they're seeing each other or, at least, Spotify is recognising the two grouped speakers. But only one of them is playing audio.

Quite apart from that, I turned off all my 2.4Ghz networks because they were causing problems with my laptop or iPhone. Can't remember which .

MartinC
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

My concern here is that BEFORE mid May 2018 ST firmware update both 2,4 and 5G wifi netowrks worked just fine and there was no need to play with wifi settings.

Ever since then the problems have begun and continue until present and  basically my 3 ST speakers work individually, but not in group as the Play all stopped working correctly

Mattyboy
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

My speaker problems also continue, no change. All work fine individually. Try Play All function, no sound from speakers, but App says they are playing. Its extremly worrying a fix has not been forthcoming.
MartinC
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

Were you able to  add more speakers to one group so they all play at the same time the same content using the Spotify app instead of the native Bose ST app please?

I have tried to turn on one of the speakers manualy by presing one of the presets and then opened Spotify (premium subscription), but from there I was only able to switch from one speaker to another,  but not have them play all at the same time.

MartinC
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

(at) Brandon_m: I have just found out how to collect logs from Mac OS desktop. It did not surprise me that literally while collecting the logs the speakers were cutting in & out so you should have a fresh set of evidence that things are not ok.

Feel free to share the Mac OS logs with Bose engineers. This has been my 19th log collection and last one until there is new fw released.

Mc

apolaine
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

I’ve had three scenarios:

1. Play All works as expected. But then fails as soon as a speaker is turned off or overnight. Can’t really diagnose this without Bose engineers getting on here.

2. Play All can add a second speaker, but this just shows the Spotify track “playing” on the display but no audio. Switching back and forth in the Bose app using the SoundTouch icon just switches which one is playing audio. The other one doesn’t play, even though it’s supposed to be grouped.

3. Once I managed to get both speakers playing the same track from Spotify via the app, but they weren’t grouped and, as a result, we’re slightly out of sync.
4rron
Contributor
Registered since

May 13, 2017

I have this exact issue. I have just moved house and changed wifi router to the sky hub 3 (Q) and now can't play all. My instinct says what has been said already. It is an issue with the two wifi networks of a modern modem. Even though the sky hub combines them both in to one network on the surface. This is pretty poor from Bose, they are technically on the same network, even if I created 4 wifi networks and linked them via ethernet they should still work. Just because they are not on the identical wifi portion of the network they don't work!!! Has anyone tried having one ST plugged in via ethernet? If that didn't work then the latest firmware update has proper screwed it.
apolaine
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

I’m not sure this is the issue. I turned off all my extra routers and extenders and still have the problem. Plugged my ST 300 into Ethernet and left the ST 20 on WiFi and still have the problem.