cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2015

Unable to Access music on a NAS drive to use with soundtouch 10 / 20 and wave IV

We have a WDmycould nas drive with a music file on which is simply a copy of the iTunes files, the soundtouch app  says it sees the file, but when you ask to list the music says there is nothing there!

At the same time on a seperate PC where all the Itunes program and files are located on Drive L, again the app says it has recognised the files but when asked to list the music says nothing is there.

I have checked the settings on the NAS and everything says it isi set up to share music.

I have also tried just having the music file, rather than the entire Itunes set of folders, on the NAS with no success.

The NAS is roughly 12 months old

To be honest this has never worked properly since we set it up, and we have never been able to integrate the 2 sepearte music files into one, with the result I am wondering if we should have 2 NAS drives with the 2 music libraries split between them assuming I can get the existing system to recognise something!

The photographs on the NAS can be seen in their file and can be viewed.

3 REPLIES 3
CentralBK
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Re: Unable to Access music on a NAS drive to use with soundtouch 10 / 20 and wave IV

Hi Peter,

On the WD MyCloud you have to enable the music server. Depending on which kind of MyCloud you have there are different media servers. On more modern ones it will be a special version of Plex Media Server. Check the WD support pages.

The same is for your PC, if you want to stream the library (the copy of your iTunes) the PC must run a media server like Plex/MinimServer or just use your PC with the original iTunes library.

If you have a server running, then we have to check your config a bit further ...

Cheers,

Central

Peter
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2015

Re: Unable to Access music on a NAS drive to use with soundtouch 10 / 20 and wave IV

Hi

Thanks for the reply to be perfectly honest you have lost me.

The my cloud unit was bought in 2016

apart from the public folder on the NAS there is nothing else I can see

in the NAS settings, the option to stream dnla comptablile devices is ticked, as is the Itunes option.

Originally simply copying the media folder from Itunes worked, but no longer.

I will check the WD support pages to find out if such a server can be loaded onto the unit.

As the Itunes is loaded onto Drive L on the PC soundtouch seems unable to locate the files on there either

Peter
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2015

I think I might have found the problem

we have a wd personal cloud, the dashboard does not match the description and is locate don the desktop rather than accessed via a browser.

If I need to change this for a wd mycloud unit, will the basic home unit suffice it is 2T which is the same as the personal cloud unit, or is their another mycloud unit you would recommend.

Thanks