caccia
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Unable to pair Soundtouch 20 to app

Hello,

I've purchased a Soundtouch 20 about a month ago - initially it worked as expected.

Recently I had to change my wifi network's SSID: following that, the speaker was still working fine using presets or Spotify connect, but the app no longer found the speaker.

I ended up performing a factory reset of the speaker, but still cannot pair the speaker to the app, either using my computer (Mac) or phone (Android).

Latest steps I've tried:

- reset the router

- reset the computer

- factory reset of the speaker using 1 & vol-

=> I get solid amber wifi icon

- start the app on my computer, start pairing using USB

=> speaker is found on USB, continues to wifi setup

- enter network name & password

=> wifi icon blinks white, then turns solid white

=> my router console shows the speaker is connected to my network

=> soundtouch app does not find the speaker on wifi, ends up in "Can't find speaker, possible firewall problem" message.

I tried turning off completely my computer's firewall, but same result.

At some point I also tried the alternate setup using buttons 2 & vol-, but the app still could not find the speaker. Tried the setup both from my phone and computer, same result.

So I've pretty much exhausted all the options I could find, hope someone can help !

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Re: Unable to pair Soundtouch 20 to app

I have had more luck using an iPad or iPhone to set up my ST boxes rather than using a USB cable in to my Mac.

the IPad uses a direct wifi connection to the ST - you switch to the ST’s wifi in your iPad wifi settings, once directly connected to the ST it will ask you which of your wifi networks to use and then will set itself up by connecting to that network.

Might be worth a try? It works better than the USB cable procedure for me...

It might be worth doing a full uninstall of the Bose app using the ‘uninstall’ procedure in the Bose app folder, then download and reinstall it again

Highlighted
caccia
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Still no luck though. I performed the full uninstall using the Soundtouch uninstaller, good point there.

Tried to setup with the direct Wifi connection (I don't have an iPhone, but tried this both on Macbook and on my Android phone) : I get up to the point where I can connect my phone / computer to the ST direct wifi, from there set up my home network parameters => I do get the solid white icon on the speaker, and the ST setup page shows a nice big checkmark, but after switching back to my home network I still can't find the speaker from the ST app.

It really seems like both the speaker and the app are happily connected to my home network (speaker says "select preset or use ST app" after power up), but they just can't seem to find each other !

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @caccia,

Thank you for the reply. What is the current make and model of the router that you own? I would like to investigate this for you since you stated it started when you changed the name of your WiFi network. 

Let us know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
caccia
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Hi @Joel_D,

I'm using a router provided by my ISP: brand is Sagem, model "F@st3504" (in France - don't know if you have access to that).

Sorry for the delay in replying, had to get back home to find the info.

Cheers

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello @caccia,

Thank you for providing the details on your router. Can you test with a direct Ethernet connection from the system to the router?

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
caccia
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Hello @Joel_D

Same result with an ethernet connection : my router does show the speaker as connected, but setting up from the app results in "speaker not found".

Regards,

caccia

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello @caccia,

Thank you for the update. Is there a possibility you can have your router swapped out by your ISP provider? The only reason I ask this, is because it all started when you changed your SSID. Not sure if something else might have been changed along with it.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
caccia
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Hi,
I was thinking it would anyway be high time to update the router, I'll give it a try sooner rather than later.
I'm travelling these days, won't be at home until a good 10 days or so, so won't have any updates in the near future. But I'll be sure to let you know how this all ends.
Thanks already 🙂