Hobbit
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Unable to program Bose remote for Dish DVR Hopper 2000

Hi
I just bought a SoundTouch 120 and it works quite well. However, despite my best efforts(several hours so far), I have not been able to make the Bose remote even detect the Dish DVR (Hopper 2000 model). The Bose remote is able to control my Samsung TV and my Sony Bluray Disc player but not the DVR. This is a very common DVR model and surely someone would have been able to program the remote to make this work. I have selected "enable IR" on the Dish receiver but to no avail. The remote code I used for Dish was "1989" per the Bose remote code manual. Perhaps other codes exist ?
Can someone please help me ? 
Regards
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Unable to program Bose remote for Dish DVR Hopper 2000

HI Hobbit, 

Here are a few things to try. We have included complete troubleshooting below, and we apologize if any of them are redundant to what you have already done in this situation.

1. Be sure to try all different variations of the brand code you found. The 1989 code you found for Dish Network has multiple different variations to try with your DVR Box. You can switch between these by pressing the volume +/- buttons during the setup process. If this sounds unfamiliar, you can see a video that walks through it here:
  2. Several sources (including wikipedia) indicate that at least some models of Dish's "Hopper" box are actually manufactured by "Echostar". To save you time, the code listed in the ST120 booklet for them is 0280. Be sure to try all variations as with #1
  3. Some advanced home theater devices will come with Radio Frequency remote controls, rather than the more generic Infrared remotes. If the Hopper box does use an RF remote, it may need to be removed or "unpaired" from the box before it will accept IR control from your SoundTouch remote.
  4. There may be a simple "IR control" option in the Hopper's configuration menus which can be turned on directly to enable this. 

Hope this helps!
Hobbit
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Thank you. The Echostar code seemed to work. This is brilliant and I am truly grateful. Hope you can help me with the next one. The Bose remote works properly when I point it at the Dish DVR. However, I keep the DVR in a media cabinet out of sight so I use an IR extender to have the IR commands reach the remote from another position where I have placed my TV. The IR extender seems to work well - I tested the signal with other device remotes. When I use the Bose remote, it needs multiple clicks to get a task done e.g. I need to click on TV guide a few times to see the guide on the screen. When I reached out to the manufacturer of the IR extender, they said their product works for all IR remotes in the 34 - 64 KHz IR band and asked me to find out which band the Bose remote uses. Could you tell me if the Bose remote operates in this band ? If not, what frequency does the Bose remote operate at ? Any other tips to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.
Regards
Hobbit
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Bose Support:
1) I was able to make the Bose remote work. I switched off my IR extender and the DVR can still be controlled by the Bose remote. Not sure if its due to HDMI-CEC. However, there is still a small problem. The Bose power on/off button does not automatically power on/off the DVR. When I press Cable/Sat, the Bose system and Samsung TV powers on but not the DVR. I need to use Source On/off button to manually do this every time. Is there a better way (can I train the Bose remote) ?
2) I noticed that moving from one source to another does not switch off the previous source e.g. when I move from BD player to Game, my BD player is still powered on when it should now be powered off. However, when I switch Bose off, the BD player gets powered off correctly. Anything I can do to make this work ?
Regards

The automatic on/off link between the Bose, the TV and your BDDVD player is likely being accomplished by HDMI CEC rather than by IR control. This is a very simplistic feature that turns all devices in the chain on or off as a single machine. It cannot be custom tailored to only turn on only the selected source or something similar.

Because the Cable box is not automatically responding to the CEC integration, we can only use IR signals to control it. This means that it will be necessary to use the Source Power button to turn that component on and off. 
Thank you for your question.

kcho
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2016

i have a similar problem, i just bought a sound touch 520, and I try too program my bose remote too control a dish network system but it's not working!!! I was wondering if there is a way to do it? I already try that steps that came with bose but no luck.

kcho
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2016

my dish system is VIP 722 DVR 
kcho
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2016

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?
Hobbit
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Try the suggestions George provided me in his very first reply. The code suggested in #2 below, i.e. 0280 worked for me.
1) Be sure to try all different variations of the brand code you found. The 1989 code you found for Dish Network has multiple different variations to try with your DVR Box. You can switch between these by pressing the volume +/- buttons during the setup process. If this sounds unfamiliar, you can see a video that walks through it here:
2) Several sources (including wikipedia) indicate that at least some models of Dish's "Hopper" box are actually manufactured by "Echostar". To save you time, the code listed in the ST120 booklet for them is 0280. Be sure to try all variations as with #1
3) Some advanced home theater devices will come with Radio Frequency remote controls, rather than the more generic Infrared remotes. If the Hopper box does use an RF remote, it may need to be removed or "unpaired" from the box before it will accept IR control from your SoundTouch remote.
4) There may be a simple "IR control" option in the Hopper's configuration menus which can be turned on directly to enable this. 
MAJEED
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 13, 2016