Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Updated: Error 6151/Music Library Access Issues

Update:
Our team wanted to make sure you were aware that a patch update was released today to address two of the critical issues that were uncovered following the recent 13.x update.  We recommend all users update their PC and Mac desktop applications to this new version 13.0.13.  Note that the mobile applications do not require an update at this time.

The details for this update are: 

• Resolves an issue of iTunes incompatibility with our SoundTouch music server on Windows machines following Apple’s 12.5.1 update.  A change made to our music server to correct how we interface with iTunes that was introduced by iTunes version 12.5.1.  More information about the original issue can be found HERE.

Note: This will resolve the issue for users whose XML file resides in the default location assigned by iTunes - C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes.  If a music library is stored in another location the XML file will need to be moved to the default iTunes location. 

• Error 6151/Music library access issues – Since the 13.x update users reported an inability to access their stored music libraries.  Multiple forum users provided system log files and network setup information that was provided to our engineering team.  This resulted in the discovery of multiple scenarios and causes of the error messages, some of which were due to specific network conditions.  Changes were made to the way our music server behaves that should improve this for most users.  We expect to make further improvements in future releases in an attempt to resolve any other root causes of these issues.  

Other reported issues, such as the functionality of shuffle mode, are still being investigated.  We will communicate more about that as the work progresses.
​ 
Thank you for your patience and ongoing feedback regarding this issue.   

Original Post:
One of the issues our team is actively investigating since the recent 13.x SoundTouch updates are reports from some users who have mentioned either and error code of 6151 or an inability to access their music library.  
While the root cause has yet to be identified what we know is that it seems that someone is blocking communication on the network between the application and the music server where the music library resides.  Our experience with this type of an issue leads us to believe this may be tied to network port 1900 that is required for this communication to occur. 
Some users have reported the ability to access their music library after restarting the computer in safe mode.  Additionally, we'd like to know specifically if temporarily disabling any network firewalls improves the issue for any users.
To aid in our investigation, some additional information would be helpful.  
We'd like to know:

• Is this a new music library being set up or was it working prior to the 13.x update?
  • Is only the desktop application impacted or are any mobile apps able to communicate with the library?
  • Manufacturer and model of the router being used on the network.
  • Are any other sources impacted besides the music library access?

Addtionally, we may reach out to individuals through email to acquire log files that may help point to the source of the problem.  
Thank you for the assistance and we apologize to any users that may have been affected by this issue.

60 REPLIES 60
Highlighted
Winthropsd
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 7, 2015

Re: Updated: Error 6151/Music Library Access Issues

This is affecting an existing library which was working fine before the update.  It is affecting all four of my devices -- (3) Soundtouch 30 and a Lifestyle 135. Presets that are assigned to XM Radio work fine, but no connections to my music library work.
Modem is a Motorola Surboad. All other network switches, etc. are Netgear. No other desktop applications or sources are affected, including VPN.
Highlighted
Wave_Soundtouch
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 23, 2015

With me it was also an existing library which was working well before the new update. System: Wave soundtouch music system is mentioning error code 6151. My android smartphone is also mentioning an update but when I try to install it on the smartphone it says: The app is not compatible with your device.
Highlighted
tonyrbrown
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 29, 2016

Mine also is an existing music (iTunes) library. Until yesterday the desktop application worked, but the mobile apps did not. Then yesterday the desktop app also failed to find the library and came up with the 6151 error message "Service unavailable Could not connect to music service Please try later".  Internet radio and streaming services work fine.
Router is BT Homehub 5. Using Mac OS 10.11.6 and iPhone 5s and iPad Pro. Bose system is Cinemate 520, SA5 and Soundtouch 20.
Highlighted
BoseVictim
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2016

The problem I am having with 13.x is that the library won't synch; it dies before completion. Nothing to do with the network.
This has been going on for too long. What about reissuing an earlier, functional version? And what about (sometime in the future) making each update OPTIONAL? It seemed to be on an iPad, but certainly not on Windows.
Highlighted
JT_69_V
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 9, 2016

Here are answers to your questions:
Is this a new music library being set up or was it working prior to the 13.x update?
No, it is not a new one and it was working perfectly before the 13.x update
Is only the desktop application impacted or are any mobile apps able to communicate with the library?
Both the desktop app and the mobile ones (iOS & Android) are impacted
Manufacturer and model of the router being used on the network.
Apple AirPort Extreme
Are any other sources impacted besides the music library access?
Only the iTunes Music Library is impacted. Internet radios and Deezer are ok
Addtionally, we may reach out to individuals through email to acquire log files that may help point to the source of the problem.  
Please do, it's been more than two weeks now since Music Library doesn't work !
Also note that rebooting the Mac in "Safe mode" (no extension loaded at startup) solves the problem: no 6151 error and iTunes Music Library is available ! So how could it be related to a network port 1900 error ?

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Some users have reported the ability to access their music library after restarting the computer in safe mode.  
Additionally, we'd like to know specifically if temporarily disabling any network firewalls improves the issue for any users.
Please let us know the result and whether your computer is a PC or Mac and it's operating system or OSX version. 

Highlighted
mb1980
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 5, 2016

(Moved to a new post by moderator)
Highlighted
jimbarritt
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2016

I tried to turn off the firewall on my computer but that didn't work, will try safe mode
Highlighted
93LE
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 28, 2016

I'm new here with my soundtouch 120. Therefore only tested version 13.x. I never succeeded to access my library while any other device like a Samsung TV or Android mobile phones are able to. I get a different error code 1601 which seems to be a kind of timeout. Accessing the Fritzbox library the first time gives the error - it takes a while the external harddisk gets up and running. The 2nd access shows the folders like music etc. Trying to access a album list or similar always gives the same error 1601 again. Doesn't matter if the Android or Windows 10 app is used.