Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 21, 2015

Using Soundtouch with a pre-existing receiver...

Hi Everyone-
I am wanting to upgrade my house to be a wi-fi music house.
Have been considering Bose Soundtouch vs. Sonos.
At the moment, Sonos has a leg up-- they sell a "Sonos Connect" that turns your exisiting home theater system/receiver into a "sonos speaker".
I see that Bose has a Soundtouch Amp, but do they have something similar to the Sonos Connect that would allow me to use my existing 5-speaker Bose system and receiver setup?
My 5-speaker setup includes some in ceiling Bose speakers, so I don't want to have to start over and get a entire new Bose head unit that has the Soundtouch option.
Is there a work around out there?
Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 27, 2016

Re: Using Soundtouch with a pre-existing receiver...

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Matt, 
We do not produce a product which would connect non-SoundTouch products to your Wi-Fi ecosystem. SoundTouch features are only available on products which were produced with that capability built-in. 

We do offer a Bluetooth adapter which will add wireless input from a single device to most of our products.But this admittedly isn't the same as the Multi-speaker expansion capability that SoundTouch offers

We apologize that we don't have a work around for this.
The SoundTouch Wireles Link adapter has been released and should be exactly the product you are look...

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 27, 2015

Hi all,
I agree with Matt. If Bose would like SOundtouch to become big, it should offer a solution to incorporate non soundtouch powered speakers in the system. I've bought expensive equipment, which is still very good. The Apple-Airport solution is not really a solution because it is not reliable. So I started looking around and found Soundtouch. I already have other Bose equipment and am a fan. But to get rid of my Genelecs and ceiling systems is a bit too much... Is it possible to use the SoundTouch® Series II wireless adapter with a cable to get RCA out (using a modified BOSE - BOS 285320-0207 Bose-link to RCA cable)? How is the SoundTouch® Series II wireless adapter powered? 
If you guys don't create a solution others will, whci will reflect poorly on Bose.
Hope to hear from you,
Marc Antony
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for the feedback Marc Antony.  The SoundTouch adapter is powered by the console or amplifier it's connected to.  
The SA5 amplifier is designed to integrate with any passive speaker setup including non-Bose products.  Unfortunately it won't work in an existing powered speaker setup though.  
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 29, 2016

Agreed - a way to connect the Soundtouch product to an existing receiver would complete the product line. Integrating music wirelessly across a home is highly desirable, but most people are going to have legacy systems that they aren't going want to replace. 
It's too bad the adapter couldn't be modified somehow with an external power supply and an adapter for the proprietary connector to convert it to rca. 
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

I also can only encourage Bose to create a soundtouch bridge between existing configurations. I'm thinking to buy the soundtouch 20 III to use in our bathroom.
But on the other hand also thinking about to buy an acoustimass 10 (white) set for the living room powered by an existing receiver. Too bad you can not use the acoustimass as soundtouch device (without having to pay 3000 euro for a Bose® Lifestyle® SoundTouch® 525)
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 11, 2016

Hi,
try to imagine.. New Bose ST adapter III: Airplay + Bluetooth, its own power adapter, inputs: TV, AUX; outputs: bose link, hdmi, chinch, optical.. Selling together with new ST Controller now enabled with 'play everywhere' function!
.. And Bose lunch us back to Dreamland..
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 6, 2015

I have a similar issue, I have an old lifestyle 28 in the bedroom that still sounds superb, bought the Bluetooth adapter from the USA which has made it wireless, just imagine if Bose came up with a simple solution for me to add soundtouch. Only reason I haven't changed this for a newer one is the fact the speakers are nearly enough the same and it still sounds great, due to the fact he lifestyles still don't have 4K why risk shelling out a huge amount of money for something not a huge amount better.....plus as sasa put above aux rebroadcast and play everywhere needs to be enabled, after all this is multi room Audio right not certain audio in certain rooms........come on Bose you are supposed to be innovators! Let's see you push the boundaries but remember to get the basics right, after all if you had aux rebroadcast people would be less annoyed when the Internet connection is poor as you can play music or tv audio locally and send it round house with Ethernet 
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2016

Hi, I'd also like to +1 for a Soundtouch Adapter that I can plug into my aux in on a non-bose system. I guess it's too much to ask about how to power the Soundtouch Adapter for Lifestyle products, and get Line out from it if it's taken apart..

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 22, 2016

Actually I think Bose is neglegent in their truth and lending by rerpresenting that their SoundTouch system is both wifi and bluetooth without then also saying that it requires a propriatary app to work and will ONLY work with their app.   And what, no Aux inputs for streaming throughout the SoundTouch system?   I recently spent close to $2000 for a system that I cannot now adapt to work with my already existing hardwired audio system streaming to an Apple Airport Express and amp via Airplay.   Although I love Bose hardware and quality, this problem and the fact that I have spent two days searching Google, readying through Manuals and getting TS to help sort it out, all tends to make me a dissatisfied customer!  If I cannot find a solution I may send the whole Bose SoundTouch package back to Bose and go with Sonos!