Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

Using a Bose Universal Remote to control Xbox One

Hi everyone.  I am considering buying a SoundTouch 300, but trying to figure out how it will integrate into my setup.  I figured I would ask the community, and see what everyone else thinks.
The big question for me is this:  Can I use the Bose Universal Remote to control an Xbox One?  I am specifically looking for the following functionality from the remote.

• Power On/Off for the Xbox
  • Directional Movement - I want to be able to use the Bose remote to navigate around the Xbox One interface, and make selections.  For example, I want to navigate to the Watch TV and OneGuide sections.
  • Guide - The Bose remote has a guide button, and I want to be able to use that to bring up the Xbox OneGuide.
  • Channel Up/Down
  • Volume Up/Down/Mute

The setup will be cable box >HDMI> Xbox >HDMI> TV.  The TV will have other HDMI inputs, namely PS4 and AppleTV.  The TV will then connect to the optical in on the SoundTouch.  The ultimate goal is to do everything with the Bose remote.
So is anyone using their Bose remote (or another non-Xbox universal remote) to control their Xbox?  Does the functionality above work?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

Re: Using a Bose Universal Remote to control Xbox One

I'm using my Bose Universal Remote to do the functionality of the Xbox 360. I can turn off and on, navigate, volume control, menu etc. I believe Xbox One and 360 have the same functionality.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

I'm using my Bose Universal Remote to do the functionality of the Xbox 360. I can turn off and on, navigate, volume control, menu etc. I believe Xbox One and 360 have the same functionality.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

Thanks @Letratista!  This is exactly what I was looking for.
Which Bose system do you have?
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

soundtouch 300

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Hi all, I just got a soundtouch 300 (sounds fantastic!) and have set it up as optical to xbox one, and then hdmi from xbox one to tv and from sat box to xbox. I have got the remote to work for both the sat box and tv, but not the xbox. What is the correct remote code to use?
thanks
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 28, 2016

The correct code is in the remote under Microsoft. You need to have a subcode so you will need to follow the procedure as described in the instructions.
I believe Microsoft code is found under the section "additional" or something like that.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2017

01756 plus a couple clicks on the volume (per the instructions) has me all set up!!!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 7, 2017

I've done the universal remote control setup (using code 01756), but not having any success to get it working.

Is there anyone who can provide detailed steps on what they've done to get the remote to control the Xbox One, including what buttons on the remote to use for the Xbox One?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2017

The instructions for programming the remote control with the code continue with another step or two after you enter it. You need to follow the whole process. I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact steps.

The code listed previously in this thread tells the remote to control an xbox product, then you need to follow the next steps (which involves the volume button as mentioned)  as it tries different xbox sub codes till it finds the one for your unit. As I went through this process it controlled my xbox 360 then found the xbox one.

I haven't used it a ton to control my xbox one but just spent half an hour playing with it, going through different menus, watching vid clips, and have also used it to control the blueray app. Felt a bit clunky at first but I'm quickly getting used to it.

I don't have a tv feed through my xbox and the channel up/down buttons seem to work as page up or down, or to move across the top of the screen like the bumper buttons would. I was pleasantly surprised to find the row of color coded buttons near the top of the remote seem to be mapped to the same color buttons on the xbox remote (A, B, X, Y).

Power on/off is controlled by "source power" and volume works as expected.

My setup is currently Xbox One hdmi into the ST300, then hdmi arc connection to my tv. Also have an apple tv 4th gen plugged into the tv by hdmi. Bose remote controls it all with no problems. Volume button on any remote works, or either the bose or apple app (when using apple tv of course) on my phone controls it as well.

Hope that helps.

edit to add: The home button toggles the Guide menu bar on the left. The Guide button brings up Xbox OneGuide.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi mmclegon, 

I'd be happy to assist! I'll share the remote programming steps below. The key is to remember that the code 01756 only tells the remote that it is searching for Microsoft codes. As other users have mentioned, there are "sub-codes" that are stored internally. You do not enter additional codes to access these. Instead, you use the volume + and - buttons to cycle through this internal list. My recommendation would be to start with your TV and Xbox on, so that you can see the Xbox menu on your TV. Follow the instructions below until you enter the code (01756). Immediately after entering the code, press Volume +, and then one of the selection arrow buttons (left, or right). See if you can move anything on the TV screen. If nothing happens, press volume +, and try again. Repeat this process until something happens on the TV. This is time sensitive, so be sure you read and understand all of the steps before starting. Try not to wait too long in between button presses. 

To program the universal remote, follow these steps:

Enter the code:

1. On the remote control, press and hold the appropriate source button (TV, AUX, CBL/SAT or DVD) until all six source buttons glow, then release. For example, to program your TV, press and hold the TV icon button until all six source buttons glow, then release.
    The appropriate source button continues to glow.
  2. On the number keypad, enter the code (01756) for your source's brand and press VOL +.

Test the code: 

1. Test the source for basic functions by following the instructions for your source:
    1. TV: Press the channel buttons. Press Menu. The settings menu appears. Press < and > to navigate
    2. Cable/satellite box: Press GUIDE. The programming guide appears. Press < and > to navigate
    3. DVD or Blu-ray Disc player: Press GUIDE. The settings menu appears. Press < and > to navigate
    4. Game system: Press < and > to navigate through your menu
  2. Based on your source’s response to basic functions:
    1. Remote responds accurately: press EXIT to exit programming and save your settings
    2. Remote does not respond or does not respond accurately:
      – If your source button glows: press VOL + to move to the next code. Repeat steps 1 and 2 in “Test the code.” You may need to repeat this procedure 30 or more times. If all six buttons blink three times, you have cycled through all codes for your source.
      – If your source button is off: your remote exited programming mode. Repeat steps 1 and 2 in “Enter the code” and steps 1 and 2 in “Test the code. 

Best regards,

Brian